Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Replacing Hood/Fender Emblems (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/replacing-hood-fender-emblems-40411/)

Dave S 08-09-2010 01:01 PM

Replacing Hood/Fender Emblems

The recent thread on adding a leaper to an XK8 hood made me think about something I'd like to do to my car. Both the hood emblem and the fender emblems have aged considerably and are very hazy (the fender ones are almost pliable...yuck!) I've found replacements to the tune of about $285 for the trio.

My question: has anyone replaced these before? I imagine they aren't easy to do...but how difficult are they? I may consider having a professional auto body shop replace them for me...might be worth the investment in the long run.

Thoughts?

Dave

RCSign 08-09-2010 07:34 PM

Dave
They are easy to replace, use 3M two sided tape Use the dark gray (you can buy it at any auto parts store). They have tabs that fit into the holes so they line up straight. Look on E-Bay I've seen new ones go for about $25.00 to $30.00
2001XKR Silverstone

Dave S 08-09-2010 07:43 PM

Great idea! Thanks!

Unfortunately, I have to have the red background fender emblems and the special "XKR 100" hood emblem ($150 alone!) for my car...so they're pretty pricey...I WISH I could find them on eBay!

Dave

RCSign 08-09-2010 08:19 PM

Dave
Yeah, your right I didn't realize you had a XKR 100. your lucky you can still get them. certain trim parts on my Silverstone are not available and I imagine some of yours are too. Also buy plastic trim tools they will not scratch your paint when you remove your old ones,
Doug
2001 XKR Siverstone

MarcB 08-09-2010 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the bonnet badge for approx. $145.00 - what type of wing badges do you have? I cannot recall what the 100s came with.

By the way if you find a 4.2S/Victory Edition badge let me know. I'm planning for the future, but I have never seen one for sale.

H20boy 08-09-2010 10:22 PM

I remember finding some UK website with some real obscure parts for our cars and badges were among them. I'll see if I can re-track it down and post it up if I do.

H20boy 08-09-2010 11:02 PM

Growler Jag Parts, doesn't look like either of the badges you were looking for. I'll keep an eye out though.

Dave S 08-10-2010 07:17 AM

I found the bonnet emblem for the XKR 100 in the UK...but I found the red-background fender emblems here in the US. I sent a request to the dealer in the UK to see if he happened to have the red fender emblems as well to save on shipping...we'll see.

What are the original emblems mounted to the car with? I would have thought they were riveted on, but I am guessing I'm wrong?

Dave

Dave S 08-10-2010 07:58 AM

Just ordered the bonnet badge from the UK. Even though I'm not planning on replacing it "now now now", I figured I might as well have one on hand...how many more XKR 100 badges are out there? I also ordered a set of fog lamp covers...probably a good idea with all the road debris and bugs that I run into here!

Now to order my fender badges...

Dave

H20boy 08-10-2010 08:45 AM

lets see um when you get them on! You'll want the new bonnet badge after you put the side emblems on there. :) surely...

walt_00XKRConv 08-10-2010 09:02 AM

The emblems are held on with double sided tape. The new ones come with this in place. Removal is helped if you heat the emblem so it softens the glue. You can carefully use a heat gun for this.