Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Respray Done!!! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/respray-done-105644/)

philhef 11-02-2013 09:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61107

JimC64 11-02-2013 09:43 PM

Really nice Phil, looks like a great job, I'm sure you're well pleased?

Now.....

Get your name into this FREE draw to get some products to help keep on top of that shine....### FREE GIVEAWAY!!! Pinnacle Souveran Sizzling Shine Kit ### - Page 5 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

philhef 11-02-2013 09:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61108
Possibly my favorite thing!! I really like the way my old XJS badge mates up with my new XF growler chrome ring!! Looks like its always been there. I miss the quality of older jaguars with metal badges!! Much higher quality!! Even the enameled badges were nicer than the new plastic ones.

philhef 11-02-2013 10:03 PM

We stopped by the Jaguar dealer today since we were in Charlotte so I cold finally try the new turbo 4 XF since I'm thinking about trading in my 2010 XF (not too impressed with the new engine) and they all came out to look at my car while I was looking at the XF's. a customer asked if it was for sale!!
NEVER!!!!

Zorasmiles 11-02-2013 10:36 PM

Wow! Beautiful car and tastefully done. Stance looks great.

mike66 11-02-2013 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great job! No Leaper in sight (for now). The photos are not doing the top much justice...a dark brown might show better, but of course that's hard to tell from here. Also, the calipers done in body color might compliment the new paint ........
Well, you posted this project, so now it's feedback time.:icon_toast:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1383452611

New top suggestion. I've never seen one with stripes.

giandanielxk8 11-03-2013 01:17 AM

Phil, that is honestly one of the best looking XKs I've ever seen! Congrats on a job well done! I wish I had the means of doing something like that for my car.

:icon_trophy:

Now, go get that pro photographer. I want a new wallpaper!

:icon_special:

tberg 11-03-2013 01:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Phil,
The car is gorgeous! (even if you left the tonneau off at Cars and Coffee). Now it's time to get you into a proper GT car, an XKR, so that you can start all over again. Really, what are you going to do with yourself now?

ArtyH 11-03-2013 04:27 AM

Well done mate, you made a fantastic job of the restoration, looks amazing.

philhef 11-03-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by tberg (Post 846510)
Phil,
The car is gorgeous! (even if you left the tonneau off at Cars and Coffee). Now it's time to get you into a proper GT car, an XKR, so that you can start all over again. Really, what are you going to do with yourself now?

Still have interior to finish up. Looking to customize seats since im going to get new ones. Possibly black quilted suede inserts. And still not 100% on the brushed titanium dash. I have some dark teak wrap on the way to checkout.
And I'm also looking at trading my XF but not sure I'm staying Jaguar this time. Looking for some mpg improvement. And the new turbo 4 XF left me a little cold. Need fold down rear seats so I'm actually considering the lincoln MKZ hybrid.

GGG 11-03-2013 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by philhef (Post 846421)
Attachment 61103.......... Tomorrow, I'm working on some pics showing color! .............

The biggest problem seems to be taking photos in bright sun that do justice to the colour.

The reflections on this one really show the quality of the work.

Graham

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...done-image-jpg

philhef 11-03-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Don-T (Post 846250)
I don't know, seems a brown top would look about right.....

Actually have an old brown top from a BMW in storage and held it against it but it pulled too much of the light tone from the paint. I like the subtle contrast of the black. It keeps car looking dark. And a custom espresso top would end up as much as the paint job!!
Also the black works with the interior. The crease lines do drive me crazy but I hear its common with the black tops.

philhef 11-03-2013 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 846570)
The biggest problem seems to be taking photos in bright sun that do justice to the colour.

The reflections on this one really show the quality of the work.

Graham

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...done-image-jpg

You're right about the color. Any tips to get a good pic in the sun?
My dismay is that in a week or so, it goes in for a complete blocking and wet sand to fine tune the finish. Then to the detail shop for the interior and a super fine polish.
He also found a small dent on the right fender (I didn't even notice ) and wants to repair it. I'm fine with it but he's a perfectionist.

After test driving a few XF's yesterday, I'm really digging the newer veneers in the dark oak matte finished wood against the black interior. So I've ordered some dark teak wrap.
You know I'm not finished with this car!! Lol

philhef 11-03-2013 06:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tberg (Post 846510)
Phil,

I know! But I was having fun with the remote top I installed from whitexkr!
I could literally hear people's reaction while it was mysteriously operating with no one in site.
I'm ordering the hard speedster covers and painting to match in the next few months.
Attachment 61145

sklimii 11-03-2013 06:53 AM

Phil - now that you have a pristine paint job - you need to enter into the drawing for the Pinnacle detail kit to keep her looking like new.

I have to say the black top actually compliments the color - you definitely hit this one out of the park.

The Coupe 11-03-2013 07:15 AM

Great color choice, Phil...and it looks like a quality job. Hopefully you're pleased with the transition areas, door jambs, engine bay, boot, etc.

My coupe is in the shop as I write this, with some body details being added and some taken away, followed by a full respray. I know you must be excited to have your car back...I'm several weeks away, I'm afraid.

GGG 11-03-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by philhef (Post 846577)
(1) Any tips to get a good pic in the sun?

(2) I'm fine with it but he's a perfectionist.

Phil,

(1) I live in England. What would I know about taking photos in the sun?:icon_rain:
(2) Just fallen off my chair - sending you the medical bills. :icon_laugh:

Graham

philhef 11-03-2013 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mike66 (Post 846470)
Great job! No Leaper in sight (for now). The photos are not doing the top much justice...a dark brown might show better, but of course that's hard to tell from here. Also, the calipers done in body color might compliment the new paint ........
Well, you posted this project, so now it's feedback time.:icon_toast:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1383452611

New top suggestion. I've never seen one with stripes.

Yea, I debated on the caliper covers but I'm liking the pop of red. The body color just looked black behind the wheels. Everybody at the show said they liked the red and after seeing all the true exotics, they had red calipers regardless of the body color.
And the top is now all I see. The fold lines and scuffs from the frame. Seems most of our convertibles have this issue. They do seem to show up more in photos tho. I'll eventually replace it but its astronomical the price and labor cost!! More than half the paint job!!
Al lot of guys suggested I remove the front badge and rear lettering and leave the side wings badges. They thought it was an Aston from a distance!!