Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side window auto retract on door open issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default side window auto retract on door open issue

Hello Folks,

I have just had the car resprayed and when I got it back I found that although the drivers window is correctly lowering a fraction when the door is opened, the passenger window lowers when the door handle is piulled but rises again when it is released.

This, of course, means that when the door is closed, the window is too high.

I have done the reset process (short negative to positive terminal on battery and then do the up/click/down/click business 3 times) and, as mentioned, the drivers side is fine.

I am hoping someone could give some pointers as to what may need replacing/adjusting.

Anyway - the car looks great so not all bad!

Advance thanks for any assistance/advice.

Regards to all,

Larry

Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 AM

Hi again,

Just seen Rev Sams excellent video on this subject so I am going to proceed on the basis of his advice.

Any other advice always gratefully received of course.

Regards,

Larry

Old 02-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You have micro switches in the door latch mechanism that at times work a little sluggish due to the lack of lubrication. I would first spray a little WD40 into the latch and operate it several times and then reprogram the window and see how it goes. Pulling the door apart would not be my first choice.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
Minnievirginny (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

I just did the microswitch repair on the driver side door 2 weeks ago. Spraying WD-40 didn't help in this case.

I ordered the Omron switch and followed the video precisely and it worked like a charm. Take your time, buy a countersink bit for your cordless drill if you don't have one already since you want the latch to fit flush against the door when you reinstall it.

Minnievirginny (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the speedy response and very useful pointers.

I will try WD40 but thinking about the initial issues I had re the mirrors, I am wondering whether the wiring relating to the latch mech had been inadvertantly interfered with by the spray shop when they (presumably) removed the various fittings.

Anyway, I have plenty to work on now and it's always nice dealing with repairs that don't have the 'I wonder what could be causing that' factor.

Thanks again fro the reponses.

Regards to all,

Larry

Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny,
I just got my switches in the mail. Do you have a link to the video that you watched?
Thanks, David

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Did you look in the "How To Video" section? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-videos-77768/

Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Actually, there is no "how-to" for this procedure in the video section that I am aware of. You will need to review 2 documents:

1. There is a "how to" video in the video section for replacing the entire latch assembly. You will need to watch that so that you will know how to get the latch itself out of the car.

2. You will need to open the forum sticky labelled "XK8/XKR How To DIY Repair and Maintenance Links". About halfway down the page is the link for the same video mentioned above, plus a document going through the latch removal procedure...then, under that is a link to the document you're looking for, "Replacement of the microswitches in the door latch"...I could paste a link in here if I knew how, but I'm new at this.

You need to already have your microswitch in hand if you want to avoid having your car down for a few days. The workaround we used in the meantime was to roll the window down 1", get out and shut the door, then use the key in the door lock to fully raise the window and lock the car.

Have fun!

Minnievirginny (02-13-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts
Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Yes!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Here are a couple of things I learned while doing this job.

One of the rods from the handle to the lock needs to be removed before the anti tamper plate will come out.

Put the window fully up when removing the anti tamper cover.

If you plan to discard the anti tamper cover, you need to refit the 7mm bolt as it is also used to hold the door handle mechanism in place.

I didn't have any small machine screws to hold the new microswitch in place so I used a couple of 2.5mm wood screws, however so is not to damage the switch I sanded down the thread so it would just catch on the mounting holes on the switch.

Start the job in the morning as if you delay till the afternoon it is likely to be dark by the time you finish.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Minnie, may I ask about your respray? Do you know if they sprayed the jambs? This would mean that they removed the doors. Did they remove door handles or trim panels or did they tape things off? Removed handles/panels would mean that they have disconnected electrical during the respray. If they did they probably didn't reconnect properly. From what I'm reading your body shop should be responsible for the repair. As a business owner this sounds like something I would attempt to take care of as it happened on my watch. Jaguars have complex electrical systems and most shops are aware of this. I would highly recommend contacting your body shop before attempting too much yourself.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 AM

Yes installglass,

This has been a major thought in my mind since I got the car back from the sprayshop, especially considering the fact that I had to take it back to get them to reconnect the mirror controls.

I am going to investigate this personally as I don't want any more damage done. I assume that your assumption is correct in that the door handle would have been removed in order to be sprayed although the jambs have not been sprayed.

I happen to know that they were in a hurry with this job despite my telling them to take as long as they wanted so, yes, very good point and I'm glad you have re-enforced my suspicions.

I will be collecting the car form my indi later today after some welding work has been carried out.

Thanks for the input and regrds to all,

Larry

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Larry,
As of last night and out of the blue, I am having the same problem. I have tried the quick fixes such as resetting windows and disconnecting battery with no luck. Have you found the final fix yet and if so, what was it?
Thanks, Rande

Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rande. Window problems are often the first sign of a failing battery. Stop at one of your local auto supply stores and ask them to do a load test. If the battery is good, come back for other options.
When you have time, please visit the new member area and introduce yourself:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 AM

Hello Randef,

I am just about to approach the problem today finally getting spare time to do so.

As I mentioned earlier, there doesn't seem to be much doubt that the problem relates to the microswitch in the latch mechanism responsible for informing the electronics as to whether the door is ajar or shut.

I will be removing the door card first and am hoping to find that the electrics weren't reconneted properly after the respray.

If not, I will be adhering closely to Rev Sams super video on tackling this problem.

His video on door card removal and trying to sort out this problem will undoubtedly save us from costly mistakes.

I will update with the results. Just wish I had a covered area to work as the rain here (Datchet actually) seems to have gained global recognition!

Best regards to all,

Larry

Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Well Larry, I wish you the best of luck today. May everything run smooth and without any further damage or expenses.

Last night I had my battery tested to see if that were a possibility. They said the battery needed to be replaced, so I did at the tune of $180.00. Unfortunately it was not the issue for my window, I was hopeful.

I also just realized last night that the dome light is not coming on now when the passenger door is opened which is the same door that my window is not operating correctly.

Best regards,

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Did you perform the reset procedure for the windows after the new battery was installed?

Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Yes, I tried to reset multiple times. When people say to wait the 5 seconds, is it that they are waiting for the faint click you hear? If so I have done both waiting for the click and a full 5 seconds.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that, assuming you did both up and down. I was hoping your problem was simple. My window knowledge is now expended.

Quick Reply: side window auto retract on door open issue