Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   SLM need more advise (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/slm-need-more-advise-218284/)

Colquan1066 05-25-2019 08:03 PM

SLM need more advise

Greetings, A while back I requested advise and assistance regarding the SLM on my 1997 XK8. Briefly, the Key-transmitter would not unlock/lock the car consistently and finally not at all and with that the security system stopped arming.

I have test equipment which confirmed the key-transmitter was working and transmitting on the correct frequency.

It was suggested that I do a "hard reset", basically a system reboot on the car. I carefully followed the steps kindly outlined by member "Gas Turbine" on 01-SEP-2008 herein included below.

The procedure seems to have worked almost perfectly - everything woke back up - almost. Now the key-transmitter works reliably and from a reasonable distance. Unfortunately, the security alarm system still appears to fail to arm.

As best I can tell the doors, trunk and bonnet are proper closed. The windows are at full up. The doors lock and the running lights flash. However, the red "armed" light on the transmission selector bezel does not illuminate (no flashing). I tried lifting a door handle to see if the alarm was "set" even if the red armed light failed to report. I assume that lifting the door handle should have set off the alarm. It did not.

I appreciate any and all suggestion, observations and advise.

Regards,

Ken

HARD RESET procedure provided by member "Gas Turbine" on 01-SEP-2008
It is my experince that this procedure must be followed to the letter on reconnecting the battery. I have posted this previously but could not find the link, still always worth a reminder.

Following reconnection of the battery, the engine should be allowed to idle as the stored idle and drive values contained within the powertrain control module (PCM) have been lost. This may cause driveablity concern if the following procedure is not carried out.

1) Connect the battery negative cable.Tighten to 4 Nm.

2) Start the engine and allow to idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

3) Switch the engine off.Restart the engine and allow to idle for approximately two minutes (this will allow the PCM to learn the idle values).

4) Apply and hold the brake pedal, select drive and allow the engine to idle for a further two minutes.

5) Drive the vehicle for approximately five miles/eight kilometers of varied driving to enable the PCM to complete it´s learning strategy.

6) Reset the audio unit and climate control assembly to original settings to avoid customer complaint.

michaelh 05-26-2019 05:25 AM

Sounds like the car thinks that something isn't closed properly, but you're not getting any dash messages? I can replicate your symptoms by leaving the hood unlatched, but the message centre will report that with the ignition on.

Lifting the door handle doesn't trigger the alarm (at least, not on mine). Unlocking with the key and opening the door will start the 'countdown' chime.

Jon89 05-26-2019 06:20 AM

As stated above, lifting the door handle when the car is locked and armed does not trigger the alarm....

Domingo 05-26-2019 01:18 PM

If a door, hood, or trunk is open you will hear a high pitched tone when arming. I tested my security system by sitting in the car then arming the system(all doors closed). Then try to open the door from the inside, alarm should go off.

Colquan1066 05-27-2019 04:25 PM

Greetings, Thank you all so very much for your time to consider my SLM problem and offer useful information and suggestions.

I had thought about the "something not properly closed" scenario but as mentioned I was not getting any warnings on the instrument cluster. At one time it did report that the hood was not latched and I corrected that. The car never indicated any other issues.

Due entirely to your replies I opened and closed each door and the trunk. Then when I used the key transmitter to lock the car the security system engaged.

It's silly just how happy that makes me!

Without your suggestions I would have never tried it.

Thank all of you so very much!

Regards,

Ken