XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So... 15 year old car with 144k miles and the bushings... are fine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Default So... 15 year old car with 144k miles and the bushings... are fine?

I took my XK for routine service at a new place. The last shop which serviced the car for the past decade is just too far away. They didn't even bother checking the suspension, they said they never replaced any bushings so they would be soft and need replacing. They didn't want to do the work, but that's what they said.

I had the new shop completely check out my suspension. I know they were thorough. 10mm of brake pad left on the rears, 8mm on the front. Despite a slight pull to the left, front and rear tire wear was even. The left wheel bearing is a little loose but not making noise during normal driving but will squeal a little when driving very aggressively. They said that would need to be corrected when it starts acting up.

The mechanic also said the bushings were fine. Replacing them would be pointless. He said they were original, but there were no tears and they were very tight so he said not to even worry. When I asked him if he was sure, he said he'd serviced so many XKR's for suspension he couldn't count and that my suspension was fine. So I guess I lucked out on that?

Anyway, from what everyone has said and from what I've read the bushings should be replaced... So should I take this in for an opinion somewhere else? Or is it possible that the bushings have held up better than could be expected?

He didn't rotate my tires because he found a gouge in my sidewall and said he didn't want that in the front in case it blew out before I could replace it... They're Pilots with plenty of tread left on the set. Oh well.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

On the X300s, at least, suspension clunks and knocks are the clues leading up to bushing replacement. A quiet suspension might be evidence that your mechanic is right.

In addition to age and mileage I have to think that driving conditions play a part in bushing life. If your 144k miles have been accumulated mostly on smooth interstates the bushings might well take less of a beating than a car with half the mileage driven mostly on rough city streets.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

It could be possible they are still good. The uppers, being smaller, often need replacing first...so maybe just get those done, they're much easier, and less expensive to do.

The lowers, are as Doug mentioned, more stressed due to driving conditions, environmental exposure, and/or external contaminants. A car, like mine for example, has been in TX its entire 8 years, where temps skyrocket...rubber dries out as we all know. Then, there is the external factor like fluids being dripped onto, and absorbed by the rubber...like my power steering fluid leak (twice), it basically breaks down the rubber...and quickly. I'm not sure if coolant has the same affect, but it could also. Brake fluid, oil, transmission fluid...all can change the rubber properties if exposed for longer periods. If your car hasn't had the 'extra' harmful factors applied to it, you may be fortunate. The shocks, however, were they good? What was your ride height in the front? The shocks can't fight age and time.

If you don't get the lowers done, there are also other small ticket items...like the sway bar bushings, the sway bar end links, and tie rod ends. Very small expense ($200 tops for materials) to 'tighten' up and refresh the rest of the handling properties. Something to consider.