Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   So, I put my XK8 up in the forums Classifieds (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/so-i-put-my-xk8-up-forums-classifieds-214482/)

cyber3d 02-28-2019 01:20 AM

So, I put my XK8 up in the forums Classifieds

It's in the Forum Marketplace if you want to check it out. Have no idea what to ask for it. But, there it is.

Not sure how I feel about selling her. Kinda like selling a family member!

We'll see.

Orthodixie 02-28-2019 04:20 PM

Would like to see the ad but cannot find it.

cyber3d 02-28-2019 04:47 PM

Do give me your honest opinion on the price!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/214481

Vic

stu46h 03-05-2019 04:38 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, 2001's don't have a Nikasil engine.
They have steel cylinder sleeves.
Good news for you and me.

cyber3d 03-05-2019 04:50 PM

In my case, the engine is indeed Nik. Now, some of the 2001s have had replacement engines with steel liners. You would know that by the engine numbers. But, your car and my car were imported into the US so it's unlikely we had poor fuel. Actually, I like that my car has Nik cylinders. Nik gets a bad rep. But, it is not deserved. Unless, of course, the car has been subjected to crappy gas with sulfur.

scottatl 03-05-2019 08:18 PM

For a car that needs trans work, the price is way high IMHO but wish you luck.

cyber3d 03-05-2019 08:28 PM

Hi Scottati, I am going to take it to a transmission shop for a diagnosis and possible fix. I'm wondering if it is better to get it fixed before I list it on a service or deduct the estimated repair cost to whomever is checking it out to buy? Do you think even if the trans is fixed the price is still too high? THX

John Nevets 03-05-2019 09:20 PM

My suggestion for pricing would be to do some internet searchs on sites like autotrader, and autotempest and find some comparables.

My personal take, after doing some looking around for the last few months is that With the rest of the work you’ve done on the car, I think if the transmission was sorted $10k would be a reasonable asking price. Now if you want to sell it quicker, you may have to adjust that, but if you are willing to wait a few months, I’m guessing you could find a buyer.

EnjoyEverySandwich 03-06-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cyber3d (Post 2035784)
In my case, the engine is indeed Nik. Now, some of the 2001s have had replacement engines with steel liners. You would know that by the engine numbers. But, your car and my car were imported into the US so it's unlikely we had poor fuel. Actually, I like that my car has Nik cylinders. Nik gets a bad rep. But, it is not deserved. Unless, of course, the car has been subjected to crappy gas with sulfur.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Nikasil with your car, especially if it's been chugging along for this long. I'm not even really sure where you'd find high-sulfur gas here, as the regulations have long been quite stringent.

Love the coupe. You almost never see them--I think production ration was something like 1 coupe for every 6 convertibles. I am obviously biased, but I think the lines flow a bit better in the coupes.

DavidYau 03-06-2019 10:45 AM

Love the silver coupe

Just get a garage to change the transmission fluid and the problem gear shift under load might disappear. That’s an easy cheap fix and should increase the chances of a USD10k sell.
Good luck to you and the Big Cat

stu46h 03-11-2019 09:00 PM

Are you sure that 2001's had Nikasil engines? I was sure they didn't, but I've been wrong before. Actually, I'm good at it.

JimmyL 03-12-2019 09:28 AM

$9,900 sounds a lot better than $10,000. Just marketing. The trans issue is a turnoff. People might think it's something major when it probably isn't, but it would scare me away. Beautiful car. Best of luck.