Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Steam rising from the engine compartment? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/steam-rising-engine-compartment-142136/)

JaguarXKR 05-02-2015 04:34 PM

Steam rising from the engine compartment?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I started my car after being in storage and steam started to rise from the engine compartment. I attached a picture of where it is coming from. I set up an appointment to see my mechanic on Monday to check it out. Is it safe to drive?

I really want to drive it on this beautiful day.

Thanks

Kevin D 05-02-2015 05:31 PM

I'd recommend against driving it until you know what the cause is.

WhiteXKR 05-02-2015 09:02 PM

Do not take a chance, it sounds as if you might have a significant coolant leak.

Loss of excessive coolant could destroy your engine without warning. Have it towed to the shop. The cost is trivial compared to a new engine.

JaguarXKR 05-02-2015 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1219509)
Do not take a chance, it sounds as if you might have a significant coolant leak.

Loss of excessive coolant could destroy your engine without warning. Have it towed to the shop. The cost is trivial compared to a new engine.

WhiteXKR,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing, that coolant is the problem here.

When I say steam/smoke, its a very..very..very minor amount. I smelled something burning (being a engineer and wanted to know more about whats going on) and checked out the car. Opened the bonnet and the saw the SLIGHTEST amount of vapor coming up. Is there anyway I can check the coolant level? I just had it flushed last summer before storage by my mechanic.

Thanks

Autobahn kid 05-03-2015 12:49 AM

WhiteXKR

Yes you can easily check the level by opening the round reservoir cap and looking inside. The level should be just below the neck. That is the black plastic box at the rear of the engine right in front of the steering wheel.

The vehicle will flash a low coolant level warning on the odometer screen when you turn the key.

Behind the reservoir there is a plug, check that it is installed. I once found one that had been jumped with a piece of wire so that it would not signal the low level.

Spend some time reading through the forum stickies at the top, you have a lot to learn about what to watch for.

The SEARCH button is your best friend.

Tensioners
Water pump
coolant hoses and leaks
purging air from xkr after flushing
Low voltage bad battery causing all kinds of false engine codes
Transmission filter and fluid change

Enjoy the reading
Feel free to ask anything here lots of help available

xxxscimitarxxx 05-03-2015 03:58 AM

Hi.....the only leak I had to fix recently was after seeing steam / water coming out near the cylinder head as I looked down through the jumble of pipes adjacent to the top up reservoir at the 'back' of the engine.....but

while it looked like the leak came from there it was in fact water flowing down the cylinder valley from a hole in the fat 90 deg hose that connects between the water pump and thermostat manifold at the 'front' of the engine

purpose of this reply being ..... while I hope you find the leak easily its not necessarily going to be leaking from where it looks like its leaking if you cant see it clearly and are going on where steam and water are showing

test point 05-03-2015 06:00 AM

Most auto parts stores in the US will 'loan' you a coolant system pressure test kit that makes finding leaks easy. You get to work on it cold and any leak will show up as a spray or drip.

With all the plastic involved and now 10 to 20 year old age of this generation careful attention to leaks is very important.

jimforrest (uk) 05-03-2015 08:29 AM

What a lovely clean motor!
Did you say it was laid up? It could just be drying itself out. I'd be inclined to check the water level and then run it whilst watching very closely. Run it until all the hoses are hot (thermostat open) and then switch it off and let it cool. Then check the level again.

Autobahn kid 05-03-2015 09:43 AM

Sorry White it was ment for JaguarXKR.😱

JaguarXKR 05-03-2015 03:11 PM

Update

Hi Everyone,

I checked the coolant. It was full, but to my surprise it looked dirty to me..

I also plugged in my OBD2 reader to check the coolant temp, let it idle for about 20 minutes, and drove it around the block for another 15 minutes or so. The coolant temp did not go over 207.8 degrees F.

To my surprise the smoke did not happen when idling, but only started when driving. I tried to take a video of where the smoke was coming from, I will attach it.

I am not really sure why it would smoke only when I was moving.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

JaguarXKR 05-03-2015 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached!
Thanks

DpezXK8 05-06-2015 11:55 PM

Is there a sweet smell like burning coolant?

There is a secondary water pump for the AC system in that area where the steam is coming from. So one of the hoses going to it may be spitting out small amounts onto a hot engine.