Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stepping on brake cause turn signal bulb to show as bulb out

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stepping on brake cause turn signal bulb to show as bulb out

Hello,
I have a funny thing that happens when I have the turn signal on and then step on brake the bulb out light comes on and the turn signal speed up. The break light is not burned out or is the turn signal. Has anyone had a similar problem. My jaguar is an XK8 1997.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I'd look at the ground for the tail lite. They used an inadequate ground. Easy enough to fix.

Instructions in archives.on nutshell:

You may be able to verify looking at wires into taillight circuit board. Mine showed Charing along ground wire from overheating .

Drill hole in circuit board ground plane. First choice = rivet. 2nd = nut and bolt.

Secure an 18 gauge wire to ground plane.

Secure other end of wire under one of the nuts on chassis nearby.

Fwiw I suspect bad ground because additional amps drawn for brake light causes symptom.

Probably will happen with rear fogs too.

John

John

Last edited by Johnken; 07-29-2017 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (12-11-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar problem with "rear bulb failure" light coming on at night. All bulbs working fine. It is caused by having too much draw on the battery/alternator at the same time: headlights, fog lights, taillights, air conditioner, blower fan on high, foot on brake pedal. Reducing the a/c fan speed or turning off the fog lights will stop the bulb warning. May be a sign of a failing battery, insufficient ground as Johnken suggests, or inadequate alternator output.

Johnken (08-03-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine (1999 XK8) Did the same thing. I did the same grounding that JohnKen describes above. The issue never returned.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

When i get the check rear lights i simply remove and reset he bulbs. mine is usually the brake lamp bulb. Either the aftermarket bulbs are slightly different diameter or the sockets are showing their age. Good luck I hope it is this simple for you

Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Added additional ground wire(s) to fix this problem

I was getting this message as well for the driver's side; and it was apparent the drivers side brake lamp was not as bright as it should be. So I switched bulbs with the passenger side and determined it was not the bulb. Next I checked connector and could see the ground connection, as identified by the black wire, was pretty corroded. I attempted to clean this connection with some electronic/corrosion type spray and a small file. After this, the brake light, when activated, grew brighter; but it was still not as bright as the working passenger side. This led me to connect a secondary grounding wire to the backing plate of the tail lamp housing, which fixed the problem.

Be advised that the two (2) 10 mm bolts which fasten the exterior plastic lenses are NOT grounded. I ran a wire under the spare tire well to connect with some existing grounds near the battery. As a precautionary measure, I replicated the process by adding another secondary ground wire from the passenger side housing to the negative ground connection near the battery.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 12-10-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Johnken (12-10-2017)