XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOP!! Read This Before You Remove Your Center Muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcisW
This is my K&N on mine

It was like this when I bought it yesterday. I still have the stock airbox as well.

I want this!!! What is the part number?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Any issues with the K&n filter causing the MAF to get dirty. I've heard on other forums that as the K&n is oiled it can cause the MAF to get dirty quicker.

The following users liked this post:
Rogerj (05-14-2017)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezzz
I will look into it. I just got the car yesterday, and I don't know the part number.

Here is the link to the page from K&N, I will measure everything this weekend when I get a chance, or you can do it and see what one it is.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ...BqgDg2CpD3/w==

Last edited by MarcisW; 07-23-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: link to K&N's conical filter page
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcisW:
Rezzz (07-23-2014), Rogerj (05-14-2017)
Old 07-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well I had the before axle boxes removed today, cost $160 shop labor is expensive on Maui! A little deeper sound but not much more volume, maybe a little. Not quite what I'm looking for, no growl but at hight rpm. It is more throaty. Shop wants another $250 to remove the center box and install an H crossover. I'll have to think about it for awhile.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Well I had the before axle boxes removed today, cost $160 shop labor is expensive on Maui! A little deeper sound but not much more volume, maybe a little. Not quite what I'm looking for, no growl but at hight rpm. It is more throaty. Shop wants another $250 to remove the center box and install an H crossover. I'll have to think about it for awhile.
Jandreu, any chance you could post an audio of your new sound?

I have been on the fence for some time now about my exhaust. I want a throaty sound (think Aston Martin), but do not want it too loud or obvious (no boy-racer Mustang sound). And I certainly do not want the drone in the cabin.

"Sounds" like you may have found my solution.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that you are wise in baby stepping the exhaust modification process. If you had done the center muffler first you would not have been happy because it is just a slight increase in sound and you would have for sure removed the before axle mufflers with the chance that it might be to loud. Drive this for a while with the top down to really let you know. I would love to hear it because that is how I wish I would have done it.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

the little mufflers are NOT where the action is at fellas.

I first had muffler delete, 12 months later did center muffler delete with straight pipes going straight to those 2 little mufflerettes and their over axle pipes and then out the back straight. Glorious thunder at first but soon after an annoying trilling sound developed too.

Want to know why the over axle pipes being crimped are irrelevant?
With mine still in place, but center muffler gone and rear mufflers gone I lost enough back pressure to lose noticeable low-end torque on my XKR coupe. It did however make revving the engines in canyon driving more exciting where the 4,000-6,000 range took on new levels of excitement previously not there.

I had to have my back pressure back for desired low-end torque and putting in an x-pipe did that. However, the drone at highway speeds was annoying.

BEST mods others have pulled off here are as follows:

1. remove center muffler and replace with x-pipe (Paragon's Tony).

2. remove center muffler and use straight pipes, rear mufflers replaced with Magnaflows (DevSpider) or FlowMasters (JUKE).

3. If you need number 2 toned down more, use an x-pipe. DevSpider mourned that loss but his wife apparently liked it much better.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well in an effort to provide a sound clip I spent several hours today learning how to use You Tube,

While I would like a deeper sound this may be all I'm looking for, will drive it awhile and see. I would like just a tad more sound and deeper but not sure the center delete with an H might be to loud now that the before axle boxes are removed. They cut them flush at the box so can't reinstall them. Only a slight rumble inside with the top up, barely noticeable.
Not sure what the back fire/pop is on decell other than probably unburnt gas with just a quick throttle bump.

The first rev is to 2K and the second is to 3K.

Last edited by Jandreu; 07-25-2014 at 01:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jandreu:
Jag#4 (07-25-2014), Sentinelist (07-25-2014), tanngo (09-13-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

My video was made using an iphone5, I'm actually surprised how accurate the sound is. I've listened to the clip as posted on You Tube on both my iPad and Windows home computer and it sounds very accurate on both.

Sentinelist (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Well after all I've read I'm torn between Mina rear muffler delete or mid small mufflers and better pipes,no squish, from first muffler/ factory H pipe and rear mufflers.
I was going to spend the money on the Mina air intake but I'm thinking a new filter and remove silencer mod is the way to go. Heard K&N clogs stuff with its oil,not good if true.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Rezzz
No you don't. That K&N filter will draw its air from the engine compartment (HOT) bad idea and sap your power etc.

Better off, if you want to go that way, to fit a K&N filter to the original box!

Rezzz (07-27-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

My video was made using an iphone5, I'm actually surprised how accurate the sound is. I've listened to the clip as posted on You Tube on both my iPad and Windows home computer and it sounds very accurate on both.
Thanks for that Jandreu. I think that is perfect. Me being an old man now would not want it any louder than that. Subtle deeper tone but antagonistic when you want it. and you did not buy any hardware. Your clip compared to the center muffler delete clips on youtube is way better and louder. you should not have any cabin drone because part throttle sound is still reasonable. I am a little jealous because my center muffler is gone for an X-pipe and am worried that if i loose the before axle muffs it will be to loud for my tastes.

Last edited by bigk9863; 07-25-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well took the Jag for a 60 mile round trip to dinner last night with the top down and I have to say I am pleased with the sound now. I would like a tad more sound but the car has a pleasant distinguished rumble on take off and just a barely noticeable rumble while cruising. I'm happy for now with just the before axle muffler delete. I fear the next step in removing the center box would be to much.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Well took the Jag for a 60 mile round trip to dinner last night with the top down and I have to say I am pleased with the sound now. I would like a tad more sound but the car has a pleasant distinguished rumble on take off and just a barely noticeable rumble while cruising. I'm happy for now with just the before axle muffler delete. I fear the next step in removing the center box would be to much.
Jandreu,

Based on this thread I think I may have found my solution. The comments you made above convince me I need to add this onto my to do list.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcisW
This is my K&N on mine

It was like this when I bought it yesterday. I still have the stock airbox as well.
You now have a hot air intake. It may look & sound nice put it is no increase in performance.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
I'm going to try the mid muffler delete soon, I'll get a quote for that in the next couple of weeks, seems like UK exhaust shops are 10x the cost of US ones though.
Here is a photo of the X-Pipe I had made up. This was made by a friend who builds Hot Rods. We purchased a stainless narrow floor X-Pipe from a company called Pypes & modified it to fit. It took 10 hours to make up but it is a straight bolt on replacement. The car has an Arden exhaust (2.5") & no cats. The sound is fantastic with no back fire or drone.
Name:  059_zpsf762ed9c.jpg
Views: 3438
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  058_zpscdcc4e7a.jpg
Views: 4079
Size:  97.1 KB

Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Here is a photo of the X-Pipe I had made up. This was made by a friend who builds Hot Rods. We purchased a stainless narrow floor X-Pipe from a company called Pypes & modified it to fit. It took 10 hours to make up but it is a straight bolt on replacement. The car has an Arden exhaust (2.5") & no cats. The sound is fantastic with no back fire or drone.

Hey. I have a question.
Have you noticed any popping from heating up or cooling down with the clamps? I'm getting a lot of that and it's actually driving me crazy?!?!! My mechanic checked to make sure there isn't any other issue and he says unless its welded, it's typical to here the expansion and contraction making the popping as it cools and heats.
I expect some due to the heat build up but mine sounds a bit excessive.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

The exhaust system is all stainless & quite rigid. I get no noise from expansion at all.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon,
I am in the very same situation. I have an 01 XKR and not sure where to start with the exhaust mod.
What have you done already?
I am not sure to remove the front or back for starters.
Thank you

Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Mina has a sale on the rear muffler delete pipes for $299. Removing just the center muffler increases sound just a tad if thats what you are looking for. Id reccomend an H or X in place. Removal of the rear mufflers will wake it up a bit more than that. For me I liked that the Mina kit gives you some nice looking tips/finishers to boot. For that $299 it's a steal in my opinion and looks much better than factory. If you find it to loud you can alway have some high flow mufflers installed and still have the new tips and pipes of the mina kit

Loxmth (08-01-2014)

Quick Reply: STOP!! Read This Before You Remove Your Center Muffler.