Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Pulleys and Uprated Intercoolers - Dilema/Query

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Supercharger Pulleys and Uprated Intercoolers - Dilema/Query

Hello,

Im about to get the lower Supercharger Pulley upgrade fitted (and a CAT back stainless exhaust system) but I wanted to know while I’m at it, is it also worth changing the Upper supercharger Pulley and fitting a uprated intercooler?

I understand that with both pulleys installed its pushing the efficiency of the Eaton supercharger and a lot more heat is generated as aresult and power increase will be minimal due to additional heat hence therequirement for a bigger intercooler to try and cool the air temperature down.

But if changing the upper pulley as well as the lower is going to generate much more heat, is this really a worth while mod?

i.e Would I see much of a difference in power between:
The Lower Pulley Upgrade Vs Upper and Lower and Uprated Intercooler?

Will an uprated intercooler give me any significant power increase with both Pulleys?

And will I feel the car running out of puff near the redline if I change both pulleys because the supercharger is beyond its efficient range? Obviously I will feel much more in the lower and mid ranges.

I don’t really want to spend a lot more money for very minimal power gains.

Thanks in Advance,

Lawrence

Old 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM

If I go with both pulleys I would be getting this Intercooler fitted.

It looks substantially larger compared to the standard one (image attached) looks like it should reduce the heat build up well.

The manufacturer states:
"Our intercooler radiators offer not only increased fin exposure from a substantially thicker core (55mm compared to 32mm standard), but we have had them produced to maximise water capacity in the side tanks (70mm compared to 32mm standard), increasing water capacity for the overall cooling circuit, hugely increasing the cooling buffer available for a spirited driving session, and protecting your engine."

Sounds like an impressive spec.
Any idea what sort of power gain I could be looking at with both pulleys and this intercooler?

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Pulleys and Uprated Intercoolers - Dilema/Query-upgraded-intercooler.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

An intercooler will not help you gaining hp, it will help to reduce hp loss.

The hotter the charge, the more ignition retard (power loss), higher pressure/less dense air after the supercharger (power loss), bigger chance of knock, which again will be accompanied with ignition retard (power loss).

I am not a fan of a thicker core radiator; much better is a larger surface area. A thicker core is not as effective, as when the air travels thru it it picks up heat so at the last part its already heated up and thus can remove less heat there. Another disadvantage is that it will flow less air due to the higher resistance, not only reducing the cooling capacity of the intercooler radiator, but also the condenser behind it and engine radiator.

Possibly best way to combat the heat effectively would be to use a water/meth kit with the Eaton setup and 2 pulley change.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

what I have done to my car to improve the cooling system:
1 - Elimination lining of the hood (recommended by Stiegemeier)
2 - installation of front electric fan to the OEM intercooler's radiator (low cost and a lot of yield by SiliconeIntakes )
3 - Installation intercoolers pump Bosch 0392022010
4 - with bandages covering anti heat (CoolIT Thermotech) intake duct and air cleaner housing to prevent contamination of the engine heat
5- installation thermostatic valve opening early at low temperature (by EuroToys LTD)

excellent results were obtained as i keep an eye on the temperature input to the engine by means of data output from the ODB II connected with the Garmin EcoRoute HD.

Obviously, all this combined with the pulley Step 2 of the compressor (the one that requires the processing of the nose of the compressor).

Last edited by User 070620; 07-03-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

What about increasing the size of the intake and getting the throttle body bored out as well? If you can remove restrictions in the intake then the supercharger won't be working so hard to pull air in

Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 AM

Hi, Thanks for you’re your replies, Im open to all suggestions

I'm currently looking for the biggest, easiest and cheapest power increases to start with.

Currently the car is stock other than a K&N panel filter. (Im based in the UK)

Avos, it sounds like water cooling is probably the best way to go with both pulleys being changed for the biggest reduction in cooling?

One other concern I had read about with larger intercoolers was the possibility of introducing lag in the system? but it seems not many people go with the upgraded intercooler. The Water/meth injection seems the more popular route.

So slightly rephrasing my question, would there be a significant performance/bhp increase between just the lower pulley compared to BOTH pulleys and say water injection?

And would it still pull hard to the red line without the power tailing off early?

Deuce2000, thanks for your suggestions for keeping things cool.

Are Bosch intercooler pumps easy enough to change? And do they make a noticeable difference in lowering the temperature of the intercoolers?

The EuroToys thermostat sounds good, is there anywhere in the UKwhere I can get hold of these?

Grandell, I was looking at having a cold air induction kit as I have read good things about them, increasing the size of the intake would be great. Are there any places where I can get a bigger diameter intake kit?

As for boring out the throttle body, does this mod allow a much greater air flow? i.e is this one of the bottle necks in the intake system? And would I need a machine shop to do this?

Thanks again

Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 AM

Do a quick search for Maxbore here (and on google), a few people have used him and have been very happy with the results, usually going from 75mm to ~82, which is about an 18% increase in area I think?
This, combined with a larger intake pipe and MAF sensor, mean that you go from 75mm all the way to around 88, except for the throttle body which is still a restriction, but at 82mm, much less of one.

A few places make intakes for your car. I can't think of names off the top of my head, but they do tend to be rather expensive, and a lot of people have made their own with a combination of silicone bends and pipe. The choice is yours, depending on how comfortable you are with DIY

I have the typical throttle body fault that can plague these cars, so I'm getting a rebuilt throttle body bored out by Maxbore, because it was more convenient to get it done now, than try to remove it and deal with shipping delays later. Eventually I will replace the rest of the intake, and look at a blower pulley upgrade.
Very keen to see which route you go down, as it will help me make a decision on mine as well

Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

you can see here part of my upgrade and the link for buy low-temp thermostat.

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Garage Portal

yes, Bosch pump is simply to install. You only must buy at Mercedes dealer the pin electrical connection of Mercedes 63 AMG

The following users liked this post:
grandell (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 AM

Ok thanks for the info, though I can see myself running away with things and spending way too much on tuning.

Right, my budget is about £2200 and Im basically looking for the biggest bhp upgrades for my money.

What Im definitely getting done so far is:
1) CAT back stainless exhaust system (not the biggest bhp upgrade but mainly for audio pleasure)
2) Lower Supercharger pulley
Both of those use up about £1200 of my budget so I have about £1000 left.

My other options were:
3) Upper supercharger pulley for about another £150. Would make sense while I’m getting the lower one changed.
BUT then there’s the issue of heat build up I’d need to address which is why I was thinking of:
4) Water Injection (Uprated Intercooler seems less popular and not as efficient)

Or I just stick with the Lower pulley, exhaust and look at other options such as:
5) Air Intake, bugger diameter, uprated MAF
6) Uprated Intercooler Pumps and Lower Temperature Thermostat.
7) Throttle body bore increase (though not sure where inthe UK to get it done and don’t really want the car to be off the road for long)

The more Iread the more I get confused and indecisive lol.
But I will keep this thread updated on my choices and results.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Can't you fit the Avos Twin-Screw?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Can't you fit the Avos Twin-Screw?
Not for £2200.

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 AM

I have read about the Avos Twin-Screw kit and sounds like and awesome package, but I have a feeling that's way over my budget sadly

Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I've not seen a price - didn't realise it was so much.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM

I hope Avos doesn't mind me saying, but it's closer to £5000, and that could go up significantly if you're paying someone to install it too.

If it were my car, I'm not sure I'd bother with the cat-back exhaust. If you're just after a better sound, there's another thread here praising the removal of the small pre-diff mufflers/resonators, and leaving the rest stock.

Also, the turnaround time from Maxbore is 3 days, but then you have to take into account shipping both ways. I'm sure there are plenty of engineering places that could do the same for you closer to home though.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Ok, having spent days reading up about various peoples posts and modifications I think Im going to go with the following:

1) CAT back exhaust system
2) Lower Supercharger Pulley

This willbe followed up with (when I have the time):

3) 12” Fan mounted onto the standard Intercooler.
4) Throttle body bored out (by Maxbore most probably)
5) Custom 3.5” Intake with smooth 90” bend into throttle body and cold air feed.
6) Snow Performance Stage 1 or Stage 2 Boost Cooler

Do you think the above modifications are a good choice within my budget which will help reduce intake temps and therefore help increase power a fair bit?

I do have a few more questions:
* Will the Snow Performance cooler kit make a noticeable difference?

* Where about’s in the intake system should the water cooling be injected? i.e before the throttle body of the supercharger inlets? I couldn’t really find a definitive answer for this one.

* With the Maxbore throttle body modification, is the diameter increased throughout? and a new butterfly installed?

Cheers

Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Here you can see one of my two Maxbored TB with new butterfly and thinner shaft.

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Pulleys and Uprated Intercoolers - Dilema/Query-maxbored_new1.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by XJR-99:
sweatyfox (07-10-2014), User 070620 (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by sweatyfox
* Will the Snow Performance cooler kit make a noticeable difference?
Probably not much in short bursts. After a pull or two when the blower and intercooler system have heat soaked, it may.

* Where about’s in the intake system should the water cooling be injected? i.e before the throttle body of the supercharger inlets? I couldn’t really find a definitive answer for this one.
I chose before the TB. Partly for ease of installation, and because it seemed running the mist through the blower was both a good way to cool the rotors and also to ensure an even distribution in the intake charge.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Exclamation

Right, my budget is about £2200 and Im basically looking for the biggest bhp upgrades for my money.
As part of your budgeting don't forget to allow for the vast increase in insurance premiums you will incur with more and more mods.

If you don't declare them your insurance will be void and not pay out on ANY claim.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts