XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about becoming an XK8 owner…

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about becoming an XK8 owner…

Hi all –

I’m sorry as I’m sure this has been asked quite a few timeson the board. I have been lurking for sometime on here, soaking up what I can about the XK8. I must say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised bythe DIY of this board and the community!

So here goes…

Several months ago I sold my “toy”, a motorcycle, as my wifeand I are expecting our first child. Since then I can’t shake the itch for a replacement. I’m torn between several cars, of which theXK8 is a front runner.

My purchase budget is under $10k, with a goal of under $1k averageper year in maintenance (or modification) budget. I am a relatively capable DIYer, somewhere aboveoil & spark plug changes, but below something like a transmission rebuild. This is a second car and I have the garagespace to work on it. I don’t need it tobe rock solid dependable, but I also don’t want to worry it will strand me whenI do take it out.

I predominately want a fun commuter; I’m down to two verydifferent cars: A Miata and theXK8. The reliable girl next door or thecrazy hot one?

I can get the M in a manual, it’s easier to work on andlikely a better corner carver. The XK8though an auto, would be a better cruiser. And my commute consistently does have portions of stop and go traffic. Plus the XK8 just looks amazing and with theadditional backseat it could potentially “baby” – well more like “toddler”. (And pull double duty as a family weekenderrather than a commuter for just me.)

So here are my questions:

Living with one:

- How do you guys enjoy the XK8? Can a car / booster seat fit in the back fora weekend trip?

- Is it a comfortable commuter that can carve acorner or two?

- How’s the transmission in manual shift mode?

Maintaining one:

My budget puts me into mostly 1999 to 2001 cars. I’ve read up on the Nikasil issue, the chaintensioners, and the hydraulic top lines. I feel confident that I can do moderate repairs myself – BUT I don’twant to worry about it becoming a dead cat / expensive lawn ornament and I seefew examples of these cars over 100k. (Idon’t want 100k plus, BUT it would be nice to see some lasting that long.)

- If a 99/00 car has made it this long, and compressionchecks out, is it safe to assume the Nikasil engine will make it?

- Is the transmission basically a 100k wearitem? Or can they survive longer if theywere maintained?

Any other advice from owners, or suggestions would begreat! Tell me I’m on the right track orthat I’m crazy and should just go to the Miata. I want to go into the Jag with my eyes open.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Oh, and apologies for any spelling / spacing errors above. I can't edit my post to correct them.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default XK8 vs. MIata

I've owned both cars: a 1990 Miata and a 1999 XK8. My observations are that the Miata is great fun for throwing around corners and absolutely simple and reliable. As you know, there is only room for two: no extra room for a car seat or small child. I really liked my Miata. But, for seductiveness and grand touring, the XK8 wins hands down. My coupe has much more room than the Miata. However, the back "seats" are essentially useless IMHO. I have not tried it, but I believe it would be very difficult to put a car seat in the back unless you kept the passenger seat back folded forward. (I had more back "seat" room in my 1990 300ZX 2+2.)
From a maintenance standpoint, the Miata was really easy and inexpensive to work on and maintain. I replaced the timing belt during my ownership of the Miata and it was straightforward. The XK8, on the other hand, is much more complex and requires some special tools and diagnostic equipment. With the help of the great folks on this forum, you can likely do most work yourself, but some procedures, like getting a duplicate key, may require the local dealer and be expensive.
I find the Jag to be very comfortable with climate control, power/heated seats, power steering, a great stereo, etc. While the Miata seats are also comfortable, the ride is sportier, e.g., harsher, and the car is noisier. It was designed to be a sportscar like an MGA. The Jaguar was designed to be a grand touring car.
So it really depends on what you want from your next car. Both do what they were designed to do very well. Both have forums that can provide lots of knowledge and help. While neither is a truly "practical" car, each has it's merits.
In the final analysis, I can say that I sold my Miata and currently own my XK8 coupe. But, my reasons for ownership are different from yours: I've become much more of a grand touring guy than a sportscar owner.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (05-14-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have an OBD2 tester. you will never figure stuff out without one. Any car that has been in California will have no issues with Nikasil. Cali has been low sulfur since 1994 if memory serves. Transmission in Manual mode is something I never use, the option is there if you want it. Note, the transmission is a sealed unit and is a PATA to service if you have not got a lift. And yes, the trans can be serviced no matter what a dealer may tell you. been driving mine for 6 years without any major issues. if you can wrench a bit, they are a pretty neat car to own.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by klundquist
My purchase budget is under $10k, with a goal of under $1k averageper year in maintenance (or modification) budget.
You should be able to hit that budget and once you correct the known issues (tensioners, etc.), keeping it ~$1k a year is reasonable.

I am a relatively capable DIYer, somewhere above oil & spark plug changes, but below something like a transmission rebuild. This is a second car and I have the garage space to work on it.
Being a capable DIYer and using this forum has served me well. Not that I don't occasionally hit a snag, but have come out OK so far.

I don’t need it tobe rock solid dependable, but I also don’t want to worry it will strand me whenI do take it out.
I'd drive mine anywhere, anytime. Come to think of it, I do.

The reliable girl next door or the crazy hot one?
If I have to answer this question, you better buy a Hyundai or Toyota.

Is it a comfortable commuter that can carve a corner or two?
I drive mine daily in rush hour traffic and have been known to speed up for corners and on ramps when the opportunity presents itself.

How’s the transmission in manual shift mode?
Somewhat sporty, but does not replace a manual shift. The Sport mode button helps as well.

I don’t want 100k plus, BUT it would be nice to see some lasting that long.
Mine has almost 113k miles and I am by no means driving the highest mileage car on the forum. Plenty of guys are near 200k.

Is the transmission basically a 100k wear item? Or can they survive longer if they were maintained?
See previous note on mileage. They can be serviced and do have a few items that replaced will prevent bigger problems. See the FAQs in the DIY sticky page.

In summary, I love this car. It is second only to my sorely missed E-type in best loved car. It is beautiful, sporty, comfortable and all-in a very competent GT car.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Take your time, do your research and you can find a nice XK8 within your budget. If you have a decent set of spanners (wrenches) even a moderately competent shade tree mechanic can keep these beauties running nicely. My first year of ownership I changed out:
1. Secondary Cam Chain tensioners
2. Thermostat Housing and Thermostat
3. Tunnel Hoses
4. 2 oil changes with filters
5. Water pump
6. Coolant Expansion tank
7. Mass quantities of waxes, polishes, conditioners
8. Family size box of band-aids
Total cost of less than $1000
BTW nobody stops, stares, and points at a Miata

Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The child seat should not be a problem unless you and your wife prefer to place the child seat facing rearward on the front passenger seat. In that case, the front passenger seat can be moved all the way forward, providing legroom to the parent sitting in the rear.

Our Jag is actually my wife's car. On the first drive when we bought it, the P.O. sat in the back cross-wise and my wife and I in the front. It was not comfortable, but all 3 are full size adults and we endured a short test drive.

The greater challenge will be finding the right car in the right condition at the right price. A 99 or 00 is likely to have age-wear items needing replacement soon even if the mileage is low. And yes, it is best to deal with the tensioners as soon as possible if they had not been dealt with already. If your budget is limited, you can use the car on shorter drives until some of the significant PM items are dealt with, such as cooling system parts, brakes, electrical, etc. Don't ignore the potential convt top issues, too. Maybe a coupe is a better choice to keep repairs down.

But echoing the remarks of some of the other advice-givers, these cars get everyone's attention even though they are now 15 +/- years old!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Listen to all of the great advice offered above. Study this forum in your spare time - it will become by far the most valuable tool in your tool kit. Many very experienced, wise, and helpful owners here will guide you through any issue that pops up....

There are three different Miata owners living within a quarter-mile of us here in our neighborhood. All of them would trade their Miata for my wife's XK8 in a heartbeat....

Old 05-14-2014, 10:33 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree 100% with Jon89! By the time you start thinking about becoming an XK owner, it is too late and you have reached a certain level of insanity than cannot be explained.

About a year ago I learned one lesson very well. I had about $1,300 of repairs at my Indy shop waiting to be done, and after spending a lot more than that in the prior year. The lesson was very simple. If you continue using Indy or Jag shops to repair the car, you can just as well sell it, because it will ruin you. However, if you choose to do it yourself, it is very different. I have fixed all the items myself for about $200! This included valve cover gasket, sway bar bushing, thermostat, power steering leak, and an oil change.

The second valuable lesson is this. Even if you decide to do your own repairs, THIS FORUM IS YOUR BEST RESOURCE TO MAINTAIN YOUR CAR. This forum has taught me that even I can fix my own car, but I could do it knowing that there are people on this forum that will help and guide me through the process. The best part is that every repair I need to do has been done here before!

You know you want the XK. If you didn't, you wouldn't have posted on this forum!!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 4,179 Likes on 3,642 Posts

+1 on all advice provided!! My only error in the process was that I didn't find the forum until a few months after I had made my purchase and was facing an $1800 dealer repair bill (a $2 repair btw thanks to the forum). You are here asking questions, reading - so find the right XK8/R and take the plunge. Miata's are all over the place, XK8's not so much and a definite attention getter! The folks here are AWESOME and as Jon and others state - this forum is the best tool in your tool box.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have both - a 2000 XKR and a 95 MX5. I think if you want "fun" from your car then it depends where and how you drive.
I took the MX5 across Germany via the autobahn before I had the Jag, and that was NOT fun. The jag would have been perfect however..

Likewise I love getting in the mazda after a while and throwing it around corners, which is not really the Jag's forte.
Tthe mazda is far, far, cheaper to maintain, and better at being left unused. The Jag does have OBD so you have a better chance of diagnosing a problem, but you WILL have problems at some point.
My XKR is in very good condition but I have still had minor problems. But to be honest that's part of the fun - learning about the car and how to fix things.
It's quite likely that it's just more sensitive, e.g. the mazda doesn't even know how efficient it's cat is so can't throw a code for poor efficiency!

I'd have to add that an R definitely adds to the fun of the larger car - I can't go crazy around corners but that charger puts a massive smile on my face when I want it to!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Guys – Thanks a TON for the responses. This forum, the DIYs, and your responses giveme confidence that a 15+/- year old British Sports car can be an exciting and manageableaddition.

Friends looked at me like I had a third eye when mentioning purchasingan older British car, even though none have owned anything near one, nor arethey DIYers. Come to think of it mostaren’t even enthusiasts. But a littlegnawing little voice in my head bought into the stereotype and would say “Areyou crazy? Will this be a money pit on 4wheels? “

That whisper is being replaced by a shout of “…DEAR LORDTHIS THING LOOKS LIKE SEX!! BUY. ONE.NOW.”

Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by kreyszig
I'd have to add that an R definitely adds to the fun of the larger car - I can't go crazy around corners but that charger puts a massive smile on my face when I want it to!
YES!!!

Old 05-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

I was you two years ago! Too familiar circumstances and thought process. So take it from me, go for the crazy hot one. Because this one will surprise you with not being so crazy after all, but far more intelligent, dependable and still hot.

I use mine on a nearly-daily basis and it has never left me stranded (it did tell me to turn around and go home from an old leaky coolant hose, but that's been it). Maintenance costs have been under a grand for almost two years now, or right at/just over because I did new tires and had the wheels refinished. Otherwise, oil changes, a couple new heater hoses, and new hydraulic hoses for the top that installed myself one afternoon. Not much else to write home about. I'd go for the XKR if you can, especially the earlier one. They are within your budget, and have the bulletproof AMG transmission that is better than any other trans that came on a XK100. Nikisil has largely left our vocabulary- the ones that are still around and running strong are even thought to be better off than their aluminum counterparts nowadays if taken care of.

It's a very fun car to drive in the essence of pushing a big, beautiful GT around that gets compliments. Every day is a special occasion when you pull out of the garage. The Miata will certainly handle better and you get the option to row your own, but doesn't have much else on this. I do miss having a manual trans (it's not possible to swap one in- many have tried and all failed), but the pros vastly outweigh that con. But it still carves corners well- I'm thinking countryside turns and on-ramps, not the autocross track.

The carseat- forget it, sorry. My two toddler boys ride in another vehicle. Zero room, especially in the convertible. The rear seat is there for insurance purposes only, as some say here. This is just a car for me and the wifey.

I've never used the manual shift mode- I hear you can work it pretty satisfactorily, but with the engine taking over downshifts, I just don't bother. Also, mine has 128k miles and purrs nicely- everyone is floored when I mention that whom I come across at work and play (who are also the same as the folks you mentioned).

Sorry my answers are all over the place here, but you're on the right track and taking the right things into consideration. I think you'd be a prime candidate for either a XK8 or XKR, whichever one finds you first that has been taken good care of. It'll make a wonderful addition to your garage, and daily commute! Fear not!

Last edited by Sentinelist; 05-16-2014 at 03:51 PM.