XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau installation....How??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tonneau installation....How??

I'm pretty savvy usually on this stuff but I'm having a dickens of a time figuring how to install the factory tonneau. Any instruction or better a video on this thing?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Here are the basics.
  • Lower the top
  • Open the trunk
  • Pull the cover loosely into place, with the flaps (arms) on the fenders and the 3 loops dangling into the trunk
  • Put the female snaps onto the male studs (on the fenders) and pull up on the ring while pressing down on the snaps (this works like a marine snap if you have boats)
  • Close the trunk on the loops, securing the rear of the cover
  • The extra material in front between the flaps will tuck in behind the rear seat backs
  • Tuck in all loose material

Attached Thumbnails Tonneau installation....How??-tonneau.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM

Too easy!!

Figured what was throwing me however. I found I have some 'loops' of the same heavy banding used on the tonneau that holds the pegs but these are inside the area where those fit at the trunk. I have no idea what they are for now.

Also, the peg for the snap/catch attachment at the front of the tonneau was reversed with the screw in the cover. Reversed those and it all fits....and works.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have been generally dissatisfied with the tonneau since I got my car three years ago. Too much air gets under the cover at freeway speeds and it ripples and raises the cover quite a bit even with the pegs still inside the trunk. Tomorrow I will have heavy duty velcro sewn unto the existing peg straps that will attach to self adhesive velcro that will be attached to the underside of the trunk lid. This way the cover can be pulled much more tautly. I will also have some sewn to the underside of the tonneau near the hold down snaps that will attach to stick on pieces placed in the void to the back and sides of the snaps in the rear quarters. I am hoping this will make it much more rigid. I'll report back next week with pictures.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I have been generally dissatisfied with the tonneau since I got my car three years ago. Too much air gets under the cover at freeway speeds and it ripples and raises the cover quite a bit even with the pegs still inside the trunk. Tomorrow I will have heavy duty velcro sewn unto the existing peg straps that will attach to self adhesive velcro that will be attached to the underside of the trunk lid. This way the cover can be pulled much more tautly. I will also have some sewn to the underside of the tonneau near the hold down snaps that will attach to stick on pieces placed in the void to the back and sides of the snaps in the rear quarters. I am hoping this will make it much more rigid. I'll report back next week with pictures.
Love to see how that works out for you.

I was also unhappy with how it fit and concerned that it would become airborne at speed. Then I noticed there were two slotted brackets on the back of my seats. Not sure of their purpose or even if they are OEM. I added two marine grade eyelets to the flap on the cover that goes behind the seats. Now it is held down with short bungee cords from the eyelets to the slotted brackets. Easy to attach or detach cover and it holds very well. No more flapping at speed. It has held with no problem up to 125 mph (or so I've been told).

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 PM

There are a single snap at the back of each pseudo rear headrest. No other half of the snap on the tonneau at the same point so I know it's not the original tonneau. I'll have the female half of the snap put on the tonneau as obviously the original snaps were there to keep the cover secure more than just the factory stock way.