Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   top fluid (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/top-fluid-133743/)

rumm5 12-28-2014 08:12 AM

top fluid

convertible top question. When the pump fluid is low, where does it go?

cjd777 12-28-2014 08:23 AM

rumm5, Do you want the bad news or the really bad news?
Look under the car behind the doors for a wet patch. Over head at the center light, really really bad there and at the pump in the right hand side of the boot (trunk) behind the panel.
They can have small leaks on the rams, which shows up as a wet spot behind the doors, if not bad it might take a while for it to show up there. Overhead is very easy to see as it drips on the center consul. In the trunk is difficult to see until it's ugly, but not a place that has been a big issue.
You need to find it right away, as the green shower you have heard about is a real pain and expensive to fix and clean up.

Wayne

rwhitt3 12-28-2014 08:27 AM

If it's not leaking at the top latch above the mirror then its probably the cylinders leaking and accumulating under the rear seats. Mine is and this will be one of my winter projects. Previous owner apparently had the green shower, I found the remainants in the overhead console.

reb1999 12-28-2014 08:38 AM

If is is the rams, look on the bright side. That part of the body will never rust... Rich

cjd777 12-28-2014 08:43 AM

reb1999, and I take it your glass is half full.LOL
My front hoses were replaced but the rams are leaking, so my(and Jon89's) winter project. Can't do it yet, Jon needs it in the 20's or it's too hot,LOL

Wayne

Jon89 12-28-2014 09:26 AM

Wayne,

Don't worry about outdoor temps needing to be in the 20s. I'm much more concerned about your fluid loss and what damage the leaking fluid may do to your car. When you're ready to do the job, just give me a couple of days notice and I'll be there, my friend....

rumm5 01-02-2015 02:58 PM

yellow to green

I pulled the trunk liner today and inspected. The fluid level was well below the bottom mark. Fluid looks green. I got a can of Pentosin and am ready to add. My car is a 98. When did they change from the yellow fluid? If the green synthetic is an improvement, why are cars having green showers?

test point 01-02-2015 03:18 PM

The change from the yellow jello to the green fluid occurred sometime in '99 and there is a TSB outlining the flush procedure for existing cars. The green fluid at least does not congeal. The TSB is located here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...34/#post141843

The 'green shower' is apparently a result of the much higher sun heating on the hydraulic cylinder area in cars in the US vs in GB. Also a result of Jaguar moving from the early hose used to the current version. Very few '97-'98 cars experience the hose failure.

chopr 01-02-2015 07:31 PM

If you really MUST find out where the juice is going, you can pull the rear seat bottom out easily by removing the two nuts, unsnapping the material from sround the center seat belt buckles, removing the bottom, and looking into the area under the side panels where the rams reside. Likely a hose issue, but could be a seal on one of the rams. Those are rebuildable by outside vendors. Hose failures require hoses. Or repair kits where applicable. Another leak area is the header latch cylinder. This is the one that will cause a green fluid drip out of the overhead console. All part of the unique ownership experience!

rumm5 01-04-2015 09:18 AM

I found a dried up oily spot on top of the pump. No trace of any other leaks. What are the odds that previous owner changed pump fluid? I bought the car more than a year ago at 47,000. Now 55,000. 98 xk8.

cjd777 01-04-2015 11:07 AM

rumm5, The dry spot is more than likely where fluid was added and spilled. Inside the ram area will be your best shot as you have checked the other usual suspect's. Lots of good info in taking the rams out, all you need is a place to put all the parts that come off and store while you wait on the return of your rams.
Wayne

test point 01-04-2015 12:40 PM

As you have now identified your car as a '98 it was probably covered by a TSB action in the late '90's to flush the system and change the hydraulic fluid to the Pentosen CHF 11S.

Leaks at the top latch are easy because the fluid drips on your center console. Leaks at the rams, and the right seems to leak more than the left, are visible under the car in front of the rear tire(s) or under the seat. Leaks at the pump are visible there. I cannot remember anyone finding a leak at other than the hose to fitting or the ram seals.

One exception: Around '08 - '09 Jaguar came out with a splice kit to reduce the warranty cost of all the failures. The splice was made behind the left fascia fuse panel. The splices did not work well and were discontinued. Check under the carpet below the fuse panel in case the splice repair was done and has failed.

The green fluid does not evaporate so if it is leaking it is pooling somewhere.

Perhaps you might put your model year in your signature to add that information to future posts.