XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top not latched... manual cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top not latched... manual cycle?

I've read many threads on the all too common "top not latched" warning. In many of the these conversations the advice given is to cycle through the opening and closing process of the top. My top will not respond to the switch so I was wondering if I should cycle through manually? I would greatly appreciate any feed back offered. Thanks

Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by zaknron
I've read many threads on the all too common "top not latched" warning. In many of the these conversations the advice given is to cycle through the opening and closing process of the top. My top will not respond to the switch so I was wondering if I should cycle through manually? I would greatly appreciate any feed back offered. Thanks

You probably will at least need to manually latch it once it gets in this state.

Also check the fluid level at the hydraulic pump over the CD player. The level should be between the two embossed horizontal lines. Also make sure the petcock is fully turned clockwise.

Lastly, the fluid must be dark green. If the car has yellow fluid it should be replaced. The correct fluid is Pentosin CHF-11S and it is carried by many NAPA stores. The yellow fluid gels with age and is no longer recommended by Jaguar.

See www.jagrepair.com for lots more info on servicing the top.

The following users liked this post:
zaknron (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. I changed the fluid and filled it to the proper level. I checked the valve, and it is turned all the way clock wise. I then locked and unlocked the header latch a couple times with the provided tool. So far no change. Next chance I get I will disengage the header completely and see if that helps.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by zaknron
Thanks for the prompt response. I changed the fluid and filled it to the proper level. I checked the valve, and it is turned all the way clock wise. I then locked and unlocked the header latch a couple times with the provided tool. So far no change. Next chance I get I will disengage the header completely and see if that helps.
It will help a lot to distinguish between a hydraulic issue and an electrical one. When you try to operate the top using the rocker switch, do you hear the pump running?

Also:
- to manually move the latch or the top you should first set the petcock fully counter-clockwise.
- when manually lowering the top it's possible to cause harm, to bend something. There's a procedure to do it right. A search in the how-tos should find it.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 06-18-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Ok, so I had a little time today to play with the top. I turned the petcock completely counter clockwise and started to put the top down. I was only going to go halfway, put it surprised me and just sort of fell into the down position. I put everything back together and tried the switch again. The warning is still on the dash, but what I noticed was that there is no noise at all coming from the pump. All the fuses look good. Maybe a sensor? Does anyone have an idea on what to check next? Thanks.