Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Trac Off Center Console Switch Sticking (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/trac-off-center-console-switch-sticking-217343/)

ooblick 05-04-2019 03:24 PM

Trac Off Center Console Switch Sticking

I've spent the afternoon trying to find either how to fix my current switch, or what part I'd even need to look for if I need to replace this. The switch is sticking, causing intermittent loss of speedometer, flashing Trac and Stability control failures, and hand brake. Online, there are may variations. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5ef530c24f.jpg

jimbov8 05-04-2019 03:35 PM

Those symptoms have little to do with a single sticky switch and more to do with a low or failing battery. An overnight charge may help but do check at the terminals what voltage you have.

ooblick 05-04-2019 03:45 PM

This happened after driving the car for 1/2 an hour. I hadn't shut the car down between driving for 1/2 hour, and heading back. Pressing the stuck switch exacerbated the frequency of symptoms.

giandanielxk8 05-04-2019 04:34 PM

Spray blasts of contact cleaner. Jam the straw that comes with the bottle into the seam between the switch and the plastic surround. Place a microfiber towel or something below the switch your are spraying to prevent run off from marring other buttons. After you've done this, actuate the button a few times. Repeat if necessary.

ooblick 05-04-2019 07:32 PM

I will buy some tomorrow and try it. Thanks!

giandanielxk8 05-04-2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ooblick (Post 2065491)
I will buy some tomorrow and try it. Thanks!

Mind you, it may not fix the faults, but it will at least take care of the sticky button.

MikeAlford 05-05-2019 02:31 AM

I've had this with the hazard button. I removed the centre console and slackened off the screw holding the panel, complete cure. Sometimes the panel distorts in the heat of the sun in the cabin, and it then binds. Silcon spray on the button might also release it. Having said all of that, i think you must consider the symptoms you're getting may also be low battery. These early cars ( pre 2003) were prone to battery voltage fluctuations.

zray 05-05-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8 (Post 2065399)
Spray blasts of contact cleaner. ........."

just to be on the safe side, perform this operation with the ignition off, and give the contact cleaner a few seconds to evaporate before powering up.

Most good contact cleaners (like the CRC brand) are extremely flammable, and a fire behind the dash would be a bear to extinguish.

Z

ooblick 05-05-2019 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MikeAlford (Post 2065625)
I've had this with the hazard button. I removed the centre console and slackened off the screw holding the panel, complete cure. Sometimes the panel distorts in the heat of the sun in the cabin, and it then binds. Silcon spray on the button might also release it. Having said all of that, i think you must consider the symptoms you're getting may also be low battery. These early cars ( pre 2003) were prone to battery voltage fluctuations.

Thank, Mike. This started 1/2 hour into an hour drive. It's all pretty weird. Of course, it's raining like crazy today and we don't have a garage, so poor Brutus must wait.

markhud 05-05-2019 08:56 AM

I have also had issues with the DSC and Hazard buttons sticking. I also loosened the mounting screws slightly and zero issues in the past three years or so.

ooblick 05-26-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by markhud (Post 2065731)
I have also had issues with the DSC and Hazard buttons sticking. I also loosened the mounting screws slightly and zero issues in the past three years or so.

And that seems to have been exactly what the problem was. Finally got around to loosening the screws and just took Brutus for a long drive with no warning lights! That felt wonderful.