XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans pull

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans pull

I can’t see really anything inside here.
However, this discoloration is a little suspicious.
Hmm.

In the next four photos you can see the shiny shavings.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Default Is the TCM And main control valve body one unit

Originally Posted by Two Dubes
I can’t see really anything inside here.
However, this discoloration is a little suspicious.
Hmm.

In the next four photos you can see the shiny shavings.

Do I have to use both TCM and main control valve body from the old transmission
min the new transmission or do I separate them?
it doesn’t say anything about it the manual.
HELP

Old 03-18-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You need to help us ot with a little more information.
What kind of vehicle are you working on? Model/year/engine
What are you trying to do?
Swap transmissions? From what model/year/engine to what model/year engine.
With out the vehicle details we can't begin to help. If you go to the User CP you can add your vehicle information to your signature and it will always let us know.
Get back with the info and we will try to lend a hand.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Looks like a 6HP26. The TCM definitely comes off. The FAQ here is great documentation:

CTSC FAQ

I agree a bit more detail and we might be able to help better. Your call.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Default 2004 xj8 transmission pull

Originally Posted by avern1
You need to help us ot with a little more information.
What kind of vehicle are you working on? Model/year/engine
What are you trying to do?
Swap transmissions? From what model/year/engine to what model/year engine.
With out the vehicle details we can't begin to help. If you go to the User CP you can add your vehicle information to your signature and it will always let us know.
Get back with the info and we will try to lend a hand.
2004 XJ8.I GOT the with the transmission problem.
it didn't go in reverse and went forward in gear I selected even neutral and reverse .
went I drained the fluid and pulled. The pan I found fine shavings. Don't know where they Came from. I have another transmission from another XJ8 Same year.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Default 2004 xj8 transmission pull

[QUOTE=fmertz;1861305]Looks like a 6HP26. The TCM definitely comes off. The FAQ here is great documentation:

CTSC FAQ

I agree a bit more detail and we might be able to help better. Your call.[/QUOTE

The car I'm working on is a 2004 XJ8. It had a transmission problem when I got it. It didn't have reverse or neutral. When I started the car and went through all the gears the wheels only went in the forward direction.
it was suggested that I drain the fluid and remove the pan to check for broken pieces or shavings. I did find really fine shavings. So this is why I'm switching out the trans.
what I would like to know is. Do the TCM And MAIN CONTROL VALVE BODY come apart or are they one single unit.
And my next question is, how do I flush out the TCM AND VALVE BODY to remove the shavings.
Thanks

Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Can you be more specific as to what you are switching with?

The short version is that if you have shavings, something is mechanically wrong. You seem to already have done the hard work of removing the transmission off the car, so now one possible path is to locate a rebuild kit for the mechanical components and replace everything. My understanding is that these kits are available everywhere (sonnax, ebay, etc.). There are documents that detail the rebuild procedure. I believe it is within reach of a determined home mechanic.

For the valve body, it definitely needs to be disassembled and cleaned. You might want to reach out to a shop and ask them the best way to clean this up. At this point, you might want to consider a solenoid valve replacement kit. It is a bit pricey, but it is a good time to do this. OTOH, the valve body comes off without having to remove the trans off the car again, so you could always do that later.

On the face of it, keep the TCM. You might have to reset the adaptations, though, after the rebuild.

Don't forget to clean the lines and the trans cooler (cold side of the main radiator). There are probably more shaving in there. You don't want to bring those back into a clean transmission later.

Consider the cheaper Mercon SP for the refill.

How did the big magnets attached to the pan look? Should have captured a lot of these shavings. Did this trans run without fluid or something? 6HP26 are normally pretty robust...

Best of luck, keep us posted.

PS: FWIW, you are welcome to post here, but this area is for the the XK8/XKR. This site also has a section dedicated to the XJs where you might have better assistance.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Default Trans pull

[QUOTE=fmertz;1861663]Can you be more specific as to what you are switching with?

The short version is that if you have shavings, something is mechanically wrong. You seem to already have done the hard work of removing the transmission off the car, so now one possible path is to locate a rebuild kit for the mechanical components and replace everything. My understanding is that these kits are available everywhere (sonnax, ebay, etc.). There are documents that detail the rebuild procedure. I believe it is within reach of a determined home mechanic.

For the valve body, it definitely needs to be disassembled and cleaned. You might want to reach out to a shop and ask them the best way to clean this up. At this point, you might want to consider a solenoid valve replacement kit. It is a bit pricey, but it is a good time to do this. OTOH, the valve body comes off without having to remove the trans off the car again, so you could always do that later.

On the face of it, keep the TCM. You might have to reset the adaptations, though, after the rebuild.

Don't forget to clean the lines and the trans cooler (cold side of the main radiator). There are probably more shaving in there. You don't want to bring those back into a clean transmission later.

Consider the cheaper Mercon SP for the refill.

How did the big magnets attached to the pan look? Should have captured a lot of these shavings. Did this trans run without fluid or something? 6HP26 are normally pretty robust...

Best of luck, keep us posted.

PS: FWIW, you are welcome to post here, but this area is for the the XK8/XKR. This site also has a section dedicated to the XJs where you might have better assistance.[/QUOTE

Thank you fmertz for that information.
oh, to answer your question,
Was given this XJ8 by a very good friend of mine before she passed on. I do remember that her son used it one night and the next day we found out that it didn't have neutral and revers but when you press on the gas the seem to want to go forward. No matter what gear I selected. I don't know what happened but the son said that he didn't come to a complete stop before putting it in park. No sure if that was the truth or what .
I hope I answered your question.
Again Thank you for that information.
Aloha.