Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Transmission woes (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/transmission-woes-121732/)

Loxmth 07-12-2014 07:23 AM

Transmission woes

Seems to happen only when not fully warmed up. I'll come to a stop and go to take off and it seems to be in neutral for a second the goes with a little bang. Kind of like I put it in neutral gave it so gas an put it in drive.

pitifulpluto 07-12-2014 07:28 AM

Have you serviced the transmission recently?

How many miles ago?

Loxmth 07-12-2014 07:52 AM

Just got it two weeks ago. Did all maintenance but that. Seems the pan and filter are one and not cheap. So you think that would fix the problem? It's not low on fluid.

sklimii 07-12-2014 08:04 AM

it may - what year, how many miles on the car itself??

pitifulpluto 07-12-2014 03:20 PM

I highly recommend changing that transmission fluid and filter.
When the oil is denatured or burned it no longer lubricates properly and will destroy your transmission VERY quickly.

Although the oil and filter is quite expensive it is much cheaper than a rebuild.

Do you have any idea if that transmission was ever serviced?

How many miles are on the odometer?

Loxmth 07-12-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by pitifulpluto (Post 1013582)
I highly recommend changing that transmission fluid and filter.
When the oil is denatured or burned it no longer lubricates properly and will destroy your transmission VERY quickly.

Although the oil and filter is quite expensive it is much cheaper than a rebuild.

Do you have any idea if that transmission was ever serviced?

How many miles are on the odometer?

108000 and I have no clue about the service. Guessing not. Going to change fluid and filter. Hope it's not to late.

djhaydel 07-13-2014 12:32 PM

Servicing the transmission from under the car is quit a task but can be done.
Jacking and leveling and safety needs to be foremost concern.
The CTSC - ZF Parts worth looking at for fluid and filter kits.

Search YouTube for ZF filter services really good. I posted on a while back for the 6 speed box.

You may want to review that thread.

Torqueing the new pan is crucial. use a good torque wrench. Had to do mine twice to get it right. It is also worth while changing all the torx bolts out also.

I had the infamous chirp. Will the first oil change reduced it dramatically the second one (due to the pan gasket) got rid of it. There are ways of drain more out but I didn't .

I called the local dealer and they quoted $1100 to $1500 to change filter and oil and I'm not sure how much oil. Besides they didn't really want to do it either.

or find a local ZF familiar shop and have them drain as much as possible and replace. Good luck

pitifulpluto 07-13-2014 05:28 PM

There is a very helpful video on youtube on how to service the transmission, i'll try to find it.

One thing to keep in mind is to not spill any fluid so you can measure exactly how much you took out to ensure you fill the correct amount.

I also highly recommend buying a fill tube for your transmission, it makes servicing MUCH easier.

pitifulpluto 07-13-2014 05:30 PM

Here is the video,