Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Trip odo not working (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/trip-odo-not-working-65122/)

jabingb 12-18-2011 05:24 PM

Trip odo not working

The trip odometer and attendant features are not working on my recently acquired '97 8. The odometer displays the total miles but no pushing of the trip computer buttons effects any change. I just pulled the panel off (thanks Rev Sam) and the switch is plugged in, which I reseated a couple times just in case. Is there any other trouble shooting I can do, perhaps connect a couple of the pins?

I see on eBay there are switches for sale but not the LJA6019AD that JEPC calls out and also is stated on my switch I'm looking at. Those switches have the clear button labled horizontally rather than vertically like mine and are LJA61019AB, not AD.

Would one of those work if I didn't care about the orientation? And then of course there's the question if it truely is the switch and not the computer itself?

WhiteXKR 12-18-2011 06:30 PM

Are you pressing the button on the end of the turn signal stalk to cycle through the functions?

jabingb 12-18-2011 07:46 PM

Another embarrasing moment, guess I should read the owners manual thoroughly, thx White!

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 442406)
Are you pressing the button on the end of the turn signal stalk to cycle through the functions?

Minnievirginny 01-24-2012 06:37 AM

Does anybody know how to get to the function button on the turn stalk and what is involved in replacing/servicing it please? (It has no effect at present)

Thanks and Regards to all

GGG 01-24-2012 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Minnievirginny (Post 459239)
Does anybody know how to get to the function button on the turn stalk and what is involved in replacing/servicing it please? (It has no effect at present)

Thanks and Regards to all

Larry,

Relevant section from the Workshop Manual attached.

Attachment 16352

I haven't included all the subsections so it'll probably raise many more questions but at least gives you an outline of the procedure.

Graham

Minnievirginny 01-25-2012 03:37 AM

Thanks very much Graham, This was exactly the info I needed.

Larry

WhiteXKR 01-25-2012 07:02 AM

Just to add to this, you should have continuity between the yellow/black and black wires when the button is pressed.

Minnievirginny 01-27-2012 11:47 AM

Thanks White XKR. Great looking car by the way and you obviously have good taste in music too!

Cheers

Minnievirginny 01-29-2012 09:21 AM

Advice on indicator switchpack cabling please (XKR)

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Folks,

Having determined that the trip switch was OK I discovered a loose cable behind the indicator switchpack. Unfortunately there was no way of repairing this without removing the steering wheel to get to it.

In the process, I managed to break another cable connection.

I now have a grey wire and a yellow wire which come from the indicator stalk. I looked in JTIS but the colour scheme bore no relation to what I was seeing.

I am hoping that somebody can tell me which contacts to solder these two cables to on the back of the switchpack.

I have included a shot of the back of the switchpack. I can give details as to the colours of the wires currently connected if it would clarify.

Any help in suggesting where I should stick my yellow and grey wires would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Larry

Minnievirginny 01-30-2012 08:16 AM

Advice on indicator switchpack cabling please (XKR) - now fixed

Hello Folks,

Don't worry about replying my request for help from yesterday, I managed to fix it by deduction (all control switches pull the various control signals to logic ground anyway).

Thanks

GGG 01-30-2012 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Minnievirginny (Post 462318)
Hello Folks,

Don't worry about replying my request for help from yesterday, I managed to fix it by deduction (all control switches pull the various control signals to logic ground anyway).

Thanks

Larry,

How are the connections made on this switch - it looks like a copper saddle or clamp the wires slide through and are then soldered in place?

Graham

Minnievirginny 01-31-2012 04:12 AM

Hi Graham,

Yes, these are copper eyes to which you solder the flying cores which exit from the indicator stalk at the bottom.