Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Trunk lock is broken (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/trunk-lock-broken-50175/)

JagYour 02-20-2011 07:29 AM

Trunk lock is broken

Finally got around to trying to determine why the lock in my trunk in the "XK8" emblem will not work. Took it apart and the problem is the actual hardware itelf. It will not turn. Sounds simple enough, I will just order another one right. Ah, until I remembered that these locks must be specific to your suit your own individual key. I have only one key and it works fine for the ignition. Is it possible that another key opens that lock? If not, what to do?

Reverend Sam 02-20-2011 08:24 AM

That's not good. Unfortunately I can't answer your question. I would think that the Jag dealer could order a replacement lock keyed to you vehicle based upon your VIN.

A few months ago another member had a nightmare situation where both the key lock was broken and the electric solenoid was broken. He couldn't get into his trunk at all. Additionally, his battery was dead. He spent weeks trying to get into the trunk. When I was in the trunk the other day I noticed that little, glow-in-the-dark emergency handle. I was thinking about trying to figure out a way to run a cable behind the trunk liner to a point where I could drill a tiny little hole and have the cable come down behind the rear bumper cover. That way in a worst-case scenario I wouldn't have to take a cutting torch to the trunk lid to get it open . I'd put a grommet in the hole and a little loop on the end of the cable to make it easy to grab. Or maybe I'd just have the cable attached to a small bolt with a little swivel between the cable and the bolt. Then I could screw the bolt into the hole. If I ever needed access to the trunk and the solenoid and key lock were both broken, I could just unscrew the bolt and pull on it, which would pull the cable and unlatch the trunk.

I know... it's convoluted thinking, and I'll probably never have to use it, but I like to be prepared. I also have enough rice stored in five gallon containers to feed me and my family for about three months. I'm weird like that.

Dennis07 02-20-2011 09:56 AM

I think I remember someone reporting (on another forum) some time back that he had gotten into the trunk through a taillight lens. A little destructive, of course, but not terrible. Details I've forgotten. It's also possible this dim memory is of something from a Mercedes forum.

JagYour: What color is your key? On my '01 the black key opens everything, but there is also a green valet key which (I assume, never tried) won't open the trunk.

BlkCat 02-20-2011 02:06 PM

I opened my trunk with the key for the first time. Works great. However, I did it while the car was locked. It set off the alarm!! Never heard the alarm before. I started pushing buttons on the key remote til it stopped.

I unlocked the car. Tried the trunk again. Opened the trunk without the alarm.

Lesson learned.

Jack

beauregard 02-20-2011 02:17 PM

had a 98 XJ in the shop last week with inop trunk lock. quite similar, if not same. about 200.00 from dealer 10-14 days using VIN to key correctly

JagYour 02-20-2011 02:38 PM

I do have the black key. However, I have come up with a solution, for now. I took the lock apart and it seems the only problem is the little roller pin. When it is installed it catches and will not turn. Looks like there is some rust in there as well. I removed the roller pin and the lock now works fine. However my lock can now be opened with any Jaguar key. I am glad I found a temporary solution because two months ago my battery went dead and I could not get into the trunk. The only way was to boost the battery from the terminals in the engine bay. Now if the electric solenoid was broken as well I would have had a major problem.

hlgeorge 02-20-2011 08:50 PM

The green valet key is not supposed to open the boot or the glove box.

H20boy 02-21-2011 10:31 AM

I would try just lubricating the snot out of it with the pin installed, and exercise it repeatedly. I wouldn't want to sacrifice that security too long.

AlexXK8 02-21-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 308478)
That's not good. Unfortunately I can't answer your question. I would think that the Jag dealer could order a replacement lock keyed to you vehicle based upon your VIN.

A few months ago another member had a nightmare situation where both the key lock was broken and the electric solenoid was broken. He couldn't get into his trunk at all. Additionally, his battery was dead. He spent weeks trying to get into the trunk. When I was in the trunk the other day I noticed that little, glow-in-the-dark emergency handle. I was thinking about trying to figure out a way to run a cable behind the trunk liner to a point where I could drill a tiny little hole and have the cable come down behind the rear bumper cover. That way in a worst-case scenario I wouldn't have to take a cutting torch to the trunk lid to get it open . I'd put a grommet in the hole and a little loop on the end of the cable to make it easy to grab. Or maybe I'd just have the cable attached to a small bolt with a little swivel between the cable and the bolt. Then I could screw the bolt into the hole. If I ever needed access to the trunk and the solenoid and key lock were both broken, I could just unscrew the bolt and pull on it, which would pull the cable and unlatch the trunk.

I know... it's convoluted thinking, and I'll probably never have to use it, but I like to be prepared. I also have enough rice stored in five gallon containers to feed me and my family for about three months. I'm weird like that.

You really should get professional help, or go on Dr. Phill's show.