XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Months/2,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Two Months/2,000 miles

Well, I cracked 118,000 miles this weekend with the car. Purchased in March with 116,000. Here is my summary so far.

Issues: With the exception of the rear view mirror falling off twice it has been fine. Thanks to these forums I was able to fix w/out breaking the windshield. Funny thing is while going through service records, it was the Jag dealer who had installed it two years ago.

There is a nagging clatter from drivers side wheel well that defies diagnosis, car tracks true and there is no looseness to front end..interesting. Noisy at parking lot speeds....

Going up a large hill on my way home I had gone to manual shift and clumsily up shifted to D...fail safe came on trans light came on..(oh God I killed the car!!). Pulled off in a parking lot, shut it off and has been fine since restart. whew!

Car performed noticeably better after addition of one tankful of Techron, honestly!! I adjusted the throttle cable a few weeks later as well after viewing forum posts and Rev Sams' video....nice to have that extra three notches.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the garage door opener...for now I can live w/that. Everything else is operable.

Overall: Car is performing as well as I had hoped, I've done a lot of commuting w/it as well as travel to other cities within an hour and a half of mine for business. Air works fine, car is reasonably quiet on the highway and comfortable. I fit well in it at 5'6"..alright 5'5"....I had a 96 XJ6 VDP so all the controls are familiar and comfortable...love the three gauges in the center vs the nav screen. Just a nice old school English interior wrapped in a stunning body. (I need to post a picture of my interior as my daughter has Mini and Mickey Mouse in the back seats).

Wife drives the car often, 7 yr old loves driving in it and I consider it a nice addition to the family.

Car does very well in the rain as far as wipers/defrosters..very livable for my part of the country, (90 degrees on the 16th, 28 degrees on the 23rd), with our interesting weather.

I own a 61 Corvette which I do not drive as often as I would like and chuckle at the attention I get it in the Jag. Doesn't cause the near accidents from gawkers like the 61 but it does get a fair share of double takes and nods. I've owned the 61 since I was 26, (I'm 53 now), so I'm not looking for teh wow em factor like I may have in my youth.

Ricers are up my **** but I have been dealing with those types for years, my wife can always tell when I am about to box someone in on the highway or slow just a wee bit for the boy racers out there. Very subtle..very aggravating to the proles.

Things to do:

Good detail, polish wax etc. Replace liner on A pillars. Possibly chrome trim piece over license plate...going in for new headlight this week...other than that???? Simple routine maintenance I guess.

I was fortunate w/my 96 VDP as it was pretty much bulletproof.

Still debating which route to go w/tires. Fronts need replacement, rears are Pilots, with 5,000 ..er 7,000 mile on them...Been reading all input here as well...thanks! That will come to ahead soon as with relo to the summer home my commute will be two and a half hours each way...quickly.

People are amazed it is 15 yrs old. I am very happy with it, have always wanted the coupe and had it fall into my lap locally.

So far so good.

Again, many thanks to all on these forums, there is a tremendous wealth of information here and experienced folks who are willing to share...OUTSTANDING!!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Nice to hear a happy story once in a while. :-)

There's always something to do!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

We appreciate the kind words, thanks for sharing. New members like you that learn a little bit after joining up, then remain a regular and positive contributor is what this forum needs.