Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.... Upgrade our Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts
Default .... Upgrade our Intercoolers

speaking with Ferlito, I got confirmation that our intercoolers are inefficient. In their S-Type racing, they have pierced the back of the cooler to increase the speed of water flow and increase cooling. either the 2 front connectors are used for the entry of water (pipes blue color) and posteriorly is the exit (pipe red color).

none of you have thought to drill the other 2 connectors closed front of the intercooler? so you could have 2 inputs and 2 outputs for each intercooler water so as to increase the cooling (obviously with increased pump as I have, Bosch 010)

Attached Thumbnails .... Upgrade our Intercoolers-racing-jaguar-r-engine-compartment.jpg   .... Upgrade our Intercoolers-frontblower.jpg  

Last edited by User 070620; 08-27-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce2000
speaking with Ferlito, I got confirmation that our intercoolers are inefficient. In their S-Type racing, they have pierced the back of the cooler to increase the speed of water flow and increase cooling.
It's not just down to increasing the speed of the water flow through the system.

The faster the water flows the less time it has to absorb the heat from the intercooler & the less time it has to give up it's heat in the radiator.

It's also affected by the size of both intercooler & radiator.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

It's also worth noting that Ferlito use an external reservoir for the intercooler circuit (see the 2nd alloy tank in the engine bay of the S-Type up near the windscreen?) this greatly increases the capacity of the intercooler system, since the stock setup is a "closed loop" with no reservoir.

I know Avos was running an external reservoir in his XKR, but there was space under the bonnet, which we don't have in the S-Type / X350's...

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
It's also worth noting that Ferlito use an external reservoir for the intercooler circuit (see the 2nd alloy tank in the engine bay of the S-Type up near the windscreen?) this greatly increases the capacity of the intercooler system, since the stock setup is a "closed loop" with no reservoir.

I know Avos was running an external reservoir in his XKR, but there was space under the bonnet, which we don't have in the S-Type / X350's...
In fact, the proposal that Ferlito told me is to do a new back exit to the intercoolers and 2 separate cooling circuits with 2 separate tanks. Soon we will do some work ....

Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

A larger IC/heat exchanger with external resevior would be ideal. But that would create other issues. You coudl run a larger heat exchanger with a larger resevior which will help but the factory IC will only absorb so much heat and the factory heat exchanger only dissapate so much. I have a custom Laminova IC setup on one of my other cars (2.2L twin screw) and have yet to figure out the most efficient speed for water flow and pathway. I have 4 cores that pass through my air path. Flow speed is regulated through orifice size into IC core and pathway by any combination of the cores in series or parallel. Id be interested in knowing what they found the best routing to be. Id be willing to upgrade my heat exchanger an dadd a tank. I looked into enlarging the IC cores (which I think would help greatly) however it would be at the expense of my hood or valve cover access. Im surprised though that a race team wouldnt have made the comprimise . Interested to see any results on this

The following 2 users liked this post by XxSlowpokexX:
Panthro (09-27-2019), User 070620 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

speaking with Ferlito, I got confirmation that our intercoolers are inefficient. In their S-Type racing, they have pierced the back of the cooler to increase the speed of water flow and increase cooling. either the 2 front connectors are used for the entry of water (pipes blue color) and posteriorly is the exit (pipe red color).
Not wanting to change topics in this post, but can you PM me a contact to Ferlito. I've wanted to speak with someone about the fender flares they used on the S-type Race car. Perhaps Ferlito can help me out.

I will comment on our intercoolers soon, because I am interest in this topic as well.

Thanks.

Joe

User 070620 (08-29-2014)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

work in progress....................front entrances and exits ......... back!

Panthro (09-26-2019)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure if an image of the Jag 4.2L SC Intercooler has been posted with the top cut off.
Here one is. I am wondering how they cool effectively with inlet and outlet on the same end. A partition between the inlet/outlet?

As one can see, the intercooler manifold is fabricated by welding the bottom manifold and top inlet plate to the radiator module.
Anyone cut off the inlet plate?

The following 2 users liked this post by Tijoe:
Panthro (09-26-2019), User 070620 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have a question. Can someone post the inlet diameter of the Intercoolers on X100s? (See image below.) Thanks.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Default Last version

Last version

​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by User 070620:
Panthro (09-26-2019), Tijoe (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Cool Deuce and the Italian XKR...

Deuce2000,
I've not seen that anyone has posted anything about installing the large-size water to air intercooler with the larger water pump....I did this a couple years ago and can tell you that it helps a great deal here in the Houston Summers.....you could feel the difference......which means HP....Four years ago I took the Intercoolers down to the Radiator Shop and had them cleaned -out, like they clean radiators...including blowing through the water passages and also blowing back through the Air passages....also had the exits ported.....Everything you can do to help the breathing the better...I've ported from the Throttle body, all the way to the S/C and from the S/C Cap through to the Exhaust Manifolds.....still haven't done anything to the S/C.....except regular maintenance….(change oil every 15,000 miles)...

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 11-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Tijoe, This is the choke point of the system....You can't Port the Rubber Seals, therefore whatever they will allow is the most you will get.....Sorry, I don't have a set of Seals to measure.....I don't know of anyone making over-sized Seals!

Is the Lake frozen over yet?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

[Tijoe, This is the choke point of the system....You can't Port the Rubber Seals, therefore whatever they will allow is the most you will get.....Sorry, I don't have a set of Seals to measure.....I don't know of anyone making over-sized Seals!

Is the Lake frozen over yet?

Billy Clyde in Houston]

I am looking for the diameter of the openings in order to calculate the inlet area then compare this area to the inlet area of the Newer intercoolers (S-type R and others.). Then run some velocity calculations versus flow volumes.

We've had 3 small snow storms, But it isn't cold enough to freeze the lakes.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE = bcprice36; 1.987.985] Deuce2000,
Non ho visto che qualcuno abbia pubblicato qualcosa sull'installazione dell'intercooler acqua-aria di grandi dimensioni con la pompa dell'acqua più grande ... L'ho fatto un paio di anni fa e posso dirti che aiuta molto qui a Houston Estati ..... potresti sentire la differenza ...... il che significa HP .... Quattro anni fa ho portato gli Intercooler al Radiator Shop e li ho fatti pulire, come se fossero dei radiatori puliti ... incluso soffiare attraverso i passaggi d'acqua e anche soffiare indietro attraverso i passaggi dell'Aria .... anche le porte sono state portate via ..... Tutto quello che puoi fare per aiutare il respiro meglio è ... Ho fatto il porting dal corpo Throttle, fino all'S / C e dal tappo S / C fino ai collettori di scarico ..... non ho ancora fatto nulla per l'S / C ..... tranne la manutenzione regolare ... (cambia l'olio ogni 15.000 miglia) ...

Billy Clyde a Houston [/ QUOTE]

hi.
i have a Bosch 010 upgrade pump, front fan for intercooler's radiator, inlet front and outlet rear for intercooler's water, central opening in the bonnet to escape hot air, enlargement, internal joining and polishing of the intake manifold, the volumetric compressor and the outlet elbow of supercharger. need more?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Quest For 450 Horsepower-2016-07-09-16.17.34.jpgQuest For 450 Horsepower-2016-04-19-09.30.19.jpg

With my setup I have an extra IC radiator along with the extra coolant capacity as well as an upgraded pump.

With all fans on the air flow under the hood is quite impressive.

Also cleaned all the soft carbon deposits out including the clogged Charge Coolers which were probably ineffective around 50,000 miles.

In addition the water/meth systems helps cool as well as helps clean everything along with an oil catch can.

The Charge Cooler matrices can only exchange so much heat between the coolant and the air as has been pointed out however if they are dirty all these mods are useless.

Last edited by jackra_1; 11-13-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Panthro (09-27-2019)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Airflow thru the front radiators is indeed very important, and pending on the WOT and normal driving time, that airflow is crucial to optimal performance, so for each there could be a different setup that would work the best

For example, the 2 radiator fans from jackra_1 may work very well at lower speeds, where they could push more air thru than you would experience without. But at higher car speeds these fans will actual be less able to flow more air as without them as they also have areas where they block airflow and which can't be compensated by the fans itself .So pending on how you drive them they could work for you or against

I think for street driving (not German autobahn) the fans might workout well with street driving, as the wot runs are relativly short compared to the staionairy driving afterwards.

The "central opening in the bonnet to escape hot air" from deuce2000 could possibly work at (very) slow speeds, but at that opening spot you have a high pressure area when driving, so at higher speeds it will push air into the engine bay creating more a positive pressure after the radiators (amongst others) which will reduce the airflow form the front to pass thru in the engine bay , and that's not good.

Here I would guess it will work less well (even counter productive) then compared to the stock setup.

For track racing actually different aerodynamic setups are required, both above solutions would work counter productive there! for example a front splitter would work better, as that creates a lower pressure under the engine bay and a higher pressure before the radiators, thus more airflow through the radiators, and some other benefits as wel.

So all depends on how you use the power to determine what setup could work for you!

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
jackra_1 (11-14-2018), Panthro (09-27-2019)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

My "high" speed driving is limited to a few hours at a time on trips up to MA from MD where I often cruise around 85 - 90 mph at night.

I have never noticed any overheating on the idiot temp gauge but I know that can be inaccurate.

I have just ordered an Autool x60 which I will use in the not too distant future.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Panthro (09-27-2019), User 070620 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
The "central opening in the bonnet to escape hot air" from deuce2000 could possibly work at (very) slow speeds, but at that opening spot you have a high pressure area when driving, so at higher speeds it will push air into the engine bay creating more a positive pressure after the radiators (amongst others) which will reduce the airflow form the front to pass thru in the engine bay , and that's not good.

So all depends on how you use the power to determine what setup could work for you!
I do not exactly agree with your interpretation of the flows, but often we do not agree on many things and therefore the comparison, even with different opinions, is and always remains constructive.

the ARDEN A-Type lightweight racing coupe adopts this system.((which is none other than the system that already adopted the E-Type) And A-Type it's not a walking car but a competition car!

Moreover, I was encouraged by Rocketsport Racing to make this opening because in their tests on the wind tunnel, at high speeds the air that passes through the engine after the radiators was incentivized to exit even from the central mouth as it ultimately does even with the mouths with lateral lamellas. it is nothing more than an addition to the work that already make the opening of the oem hood.

therefore I remain convinced 100% of the goodness of this work. As you probably will be convinced that it is not. Therefore we remain in different positions, each with their own ideas.

The following 2 users liked this post by User 070620:
avos (11-15-2018), Panthro (09-27-2019)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I do not exactly agree with your interpretation of the flows, but often we do not agree on many things and therefore the comparison, even with different opinions, is and always remains constructive.
Thank you, this is what I appreciate, we do not have to agree!

Lets say that Arden sometimes have good products, but not always!

The location on the original bonnet are at a low pressure part and therefor these do work by letting air pass thru

Here is an old thread where this was discussed, and look at the picture of my bonnet.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...45/#post688849

The link in that thread showing info about pressure zones doesn't work anymore, but there are plenty of them around, here is another one:
Why "hood risers" are for ricers and actually hurt the performance of your car.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Here is an interesting from a Ferrari, just look carefully to the under and over pressure areas, that may help in the understanding in air flows
http://www.autoconception.com/ferrar...-aerodynamics/

Last edited by avos; 11-15-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Adding Ferrari link
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Deuce.

Here are my comments on reverse cowl hood openings.
In your post you posted 3 images of a reverse cowl on jaguar hoods.

Image #1. There is the possibility that air can be drawn out of the engine compartment through this opening.
- The opening is close enough to the windshield, and the scoop is profiled with angles such that a Venturi can be created between the top of the duct and angle of windscreen. (the only way to confirm this is through extensive fluid flow modelling or a wind tunnel. I would presume that it was wind tunnel tested. There is the possibility on this race car application that the car is sitting low enough to the ground that they didn't get enough air flow out the bottom of the engine compartment and added the reverse cowl outlet to balance the airflow out of the engine compartment.
Image #2. I do not see that this reverse cowl design will draw air out of the engine compartment.
- The opening is way too far away from the windshield and the aspect ratio of the scoop's height-to-width above the rest of the hood is too low. (As commented in other posts, and discussed in the links.) Very high probability that this design will create a high pressure area and push/draw air into the engine compartment.
Image #3. My old E-type had the opening in hood closed off. My understanding what the E-type's hood bump was for engine clearance that they stylized to be somewhat aero.

Quick Reply: .... Upgrade our Intercoolers