XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uuuuuuh sound from rear end

Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Uuuuuuh sound from rear end

The sound appears to be more loud in the video than in real life.
It's only present when turning at low speed, and turning left is a bit worse than turning right.
There is no Uuuuuuh sound when the car is on a straight or curved road.
I don't think there are any sounds from the diff neither on or off the throttle.
When the rear end is raised I find quite a lot of play in the rear bearing on both sides, but only in 12-6 o'clock direction, no play in the 9-3 o'clock direction.
Any thoughts ?

Old 12-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,335 Likes on 721 Posts

My guess is it's the wheel bearings.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

I'd be more worried what the neighbours might be thinking seeing you driving round in circles like that.

Always difficult to determine where a sound is coming from when you're driving the vehicle. Can an observer standing at the centre of the circle pinpoint where it's coming from?

Bearings usually rumble when they are failing but a dry one can make that kind of noise.

Graham

Old 12-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

'but only in 12-6 o'clock direction, no play in the 9-3 o'clock direction.
Any thoughts ?'

Thats the diff output bearing, if there was play in the wheel bearing you would get it at any position. Get it up on axle stands and do the same test with someone under the rear end looking at the drive shaft, if its diff, you will see the drive shaft moving in/out. Bad news as they are a jag part only and are dead expensive. I have the same play but on one side only buts its not enough to fail the MOT test. Having said that, I have no noise from mine?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
'but only in 12-6 o'clock direction, no play in the 9-3 o'clock direction.
Any thoughts ?'

Thats the diff output bearing, if there was play in the wheel bearing you would get it at any position. Get it up on axle stands and do the same test with someone under the rear end looking at the drive shaft, if its diff, you will see the drive shaft moving in/out. Bad news as they are a jag part only and are dead expensive. I have the same play but on one side only buts its not enough to fail the MOT test. Having said that, I have no noise from mine?
The output shaft bearing can be checked by lifting one side and with wheel removed reach in and jam a finger between back of the uni flange and the diff housing while pulling and pushing in and out on the top of rear brake disc.
l have replacements on order myself and went for cheaper alternative from site sponsor rather than original part. From what l have researched l believe the original is a single row deep groove ball race which SKF do not market any longer. The aftermarket alternative appears to be a double row angular contact ball race and while spacers need to be used due to it being 2mm shorter and O ring groove added it is far more readily available and probably a superior bearing for the application.

The following users liked this post:
Supersprint (12-23-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hej Supersprint!

I had what definitely sounds like the same problem this year on my '2000 XKR. It started after I had it serviced and during the service I had also requested to have the diff fluid changed. Have you possibly changed yours?

After a few days the rear end started moaning like that when turning at low speed. The noise was apparent in both directions but maybe a bit stronger in one of them.

Naturally I went back to the independent Jag shop I use and asked specifically asking if the diff fluid change might be the issue and they thought no, so I went on letting them check for sticking brakes - both main and parking which actually resolved my Brembo brake squeal but did nothing for the moaning.

Finally I came up with the idea to let someone else have a go at it so I brought it to another indy that I had used before and after a brief check and test drive the mechanic suggested to change the diff fluid. I had not told them about it having been changed already which caused a brief rethink but they still suggested the diff fluid.

Long story short: New fluid - no more noises.

Hälsningar,

/Erik

Last edited by vonrotting; 12-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Supersprint (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Hallå Erik

That's exactly what I just did. The diff fluid was changed to Castrol Syntrax 75-90 a while ago, and I haven't driven the car for quite a while since, so just forgot all about it.
And you are right,- after that the Uuuuuuuh'ing began.

Any suggestions of what fluid to use ??

Merry Christmas
God Jul

Carsten

Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Hej Carsten,

The oil specified in the invoice for the first change where the noise started was JLM20255 which is the OE spec if I understand it correctly.

The oil that the other shop used was Castrol Axle Z Limited Slip 90 which is what Castrol apparently recommends according to:

https://applications.castrol.com/oil...w)-(1999-2001)

Maybe it is not that the oil is "wrong" but rather that something nasty happens when changing the original and very old oil and it needs a second flush.

/Erik

Supersprint (03-30-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 AM

Cheers for that Erik

I have some Redline 75-90w 5GL and will give that a try.
The car is tucked in for the winter now, so we will have to wait until spring before I can tell if its a cure or not.

Carsten

Old 12-22-2017, 04:47 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

baxtor,
thanks for the tip about the alternative bearing. I looked for ages and couldnt find anything else but I was looking for a bearing of the exact size. Barrats are selling the original for £315 and the alternative including spacer is £90 so thats on my shopping list for next year

Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by vonrotting
Hej Supersprint!

I had what definitely sounds like the same problem this year on my '2000 XKR. It started after I had it serviced and during the service I had also requested to have the diff fluid changed. Have you possibly changed yours?

After a few days the rear end started moaning like that when turning at low speed. The noise was apparent in both directions but maybe a bit stronger in one of them.

Naturally I went back to the independent Jag shop I use and asked specifically asking if the diff fluid change might be the issue and they thought no, so I went on letting them check for sticking brakes - both main and parking which actually resolved my Brembo brake squeal but did nothing for the moaning.

Finally I came up with the idea to let someone else have a go at it so I brought it to another indy that I had used before and after a brief check and test drive the mechanic suggested to change the diff fluid. I had not told them about it having been changed already which caused a brief rethink but they still suggested the diff fluid.

Long story short: New fluid - no more noises.

Hälsningar,

/Erik
Hej Erik
Spot on with the diff oil causing the sound. After the second oil change it's back to being quiet .
Thanks again
Bedste hilsner
Carsten

Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Hi Carsten,

I'm glad it sorted itself out!

Hälsningar,
/Erik

Supersprint (03-30-2018)