XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the factory spacing from fender arch to tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default What is the factory spacing from fender arch to tire?

Recently had it grout to my attention that my front shocks may be bad causing the rear to seem too high. I've been planning on lowering just the rear but maybe the front is the issue. My mounts are crumbling but my mechanic says that's not necessarily a sign of bad shocks. I do seem to have a pretty bumpy ride over even the slightest bumpy road.
You can see in my pic how low the front is compared to the rear.
What is the factory spacing from fender arch to tire?-image.jpg
Now that I look at it is makes sense.
Any opinions on this possibility?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

From the JCNA site: 15.74 inches front, 15.94 rear curb weight. Measured from center of wheel to apex of wheel arch.

Bad shock mounts will drop height at least 1/2", maybe more.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
From the JCNA site: 15.74 inches front, 15.94 rear curb weight. Measured from center of wheel to apex of wheel arch.

In your opinion, does it look like my front may be too low due to the shocks or mounts? It's never been lowered.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

If your mounts are crumbling, that's the place to start. Shocks won't hurt, but the Bilsteins tend to last quite a few miles. If they are not leaking, then they may be OK.

Have you given it the bounce test? Push up and down on the fender several times and let go. If it continues to bounce on its own (more than once or maybe twice) the shocks could also be bad.

The following users liked this post:
philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Phil,

Since I've had very similar experiences with my car, I'd say that your front shock mounts are probably shot, lowering the front by about 1/2 inch, your front shocks are probably fine, AND your rear is too high because of the factory springs, not really the front being a little too low.

Install those rear lowering springs you're waiting for...and get those front shock mounts checked and replaced. You'll be happy with the stance.

philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Yikes, didn't mean to scare you Phil!

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

With the mounts alone in bad conditions the front drops about half an inch.

A bumpy ride would suggest you have worn bushings, and maybe shocks and struts. If the mounts are shot, it's likely that you can hear a clunk and maybe some squeaking/screeching, if bushings are shot, that's a few more clunks. I don't know what the symptom of a bad shock is, but I assume it won't soak up the bumps as smoothly. It's likely the shocks are ok, but the mounts themselves cause a dramatic change in the stance when they're bad.

These cars are so front heavy, it's more likely the front suspension components will give out twice before the stuff in the rear will.

philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 02:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

From driving two other XK8's (not my own) before and after replacement shocks, springs and suspension bushes all round, the transformation is phenomenal.

The wear in suspension components on a 10+ year old car just creeps up and you never really notice the gradual deterioration until the car has a major suspension overhaul.

Graham

philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Yikes, didn't mean to scare you Phil!

Here's what I posted in the other thread:
Ha ha, not so much scared just figured a new thread may get more attention then your good suggestion buried in another unrelated thread.
I'll tell ya, since I've added the arden ground effects kit, the scraping is driving me INSANE!! And if it lifts the front by 1/2 inch, I'm game!!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

I've talked to my mechanic several times about the front shocks and bushings but he isn't big on doing something unless I'm adamant or its necessary. And this issue in his opinion is a 50/50 necessity. For me, if it helps with the drive and looks, I want it done.
Any suggestions on where to get the bushings at the best cost?
And as for the shocks, I knew the rear were shot when I bought the car. I had the HARD knock over bumps, but the fronts aren't knocking. Just ruff over bumpy roads. Should I bite the bullet and replace anyway while we're in there? And again, suggestions on best deal for shocks out there?

Last edited by philhef; 09-22-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Shock Mount - Motorcars LTD

I'm going to order these today. If the front is low the camber will be more negative, resulting in excessive wear on the inside of the tires. I can't understand why your mechanic doesn't consider that a problem.
The lower shock bushing are more difficult to replace, and new Bilsteins come with bushings installed, I believe. My shocks are still good, but I will check the bushings before replacing the upper mounts.

philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
Shock Mount - Motorcars LTD

I'm going to order these today. If the front is low the camber will be more negative, resulting in excessive wear on the inside of the tires. I can't understand why your mechanic doesn't consider that a problem.
The lower shock bushing are more difficult to replace, and new Bilsteins come with bushings installed, I believe. My shocks are still good, but I will check the bushings before replacing the upper mounts.
So these are 152.00 each. Ugh.
Found the blistein shocks for 106.00 each. Good price? And since I don't have an R, I don't need the adaptive control dampening ones?

Last edited by philhef; 09-22-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4

May have a start on the problem. My front is just under 14 1/2" and rear is just over 16 1/2.
I know my upper bushings are hard and crumbling, so do I just go ahead and replace the whole thing? New shocks with new lower mounts already installed and the upper bushings?
I'd hate to do the upper just to find out I need new lower mounts after. Trying to justify labor cost and while he's there, just replace everyone? The shocks seem to be about 106.00 each. Ad I'd assume if I do it all at once, the labor should be about the same.
I suppose the 1" difference in measurements would be due to front bushings?

Last edited by philhef; 09-22-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Phil,

You may or may not have seen this from a couple of weeks ago...I just replaced my front mounts, shocks, springs, etc. There are part numbers in here with the pricing I got. In my case, I added lowering springs up front...the "lowering" was basically cancelled out by the new shock mounts, but the ride height is just where I want it and the ride is greatly improved.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, the labor on this particular job really shouldn't be too bad. Two to three hours, I would say, if your guy knows what he's doing.

New front springs, shocks, mounts, the works...LOTS OF PHOTOS

philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

It's appalling how expensive the shock mounts are. Since you need at least 2, it's about $300. I feel like that's a rip off.

Does anyone know of aftermarket shock mounts for these cars?

philhef (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I got mounts from PartsGeek for about $106 each. They have been out of stock the last couple weeks. Might be worth saving nearly $100 and waiting till they get some more.

About doing shocks at the same time, I would replace the shocks if you are not doing them yourself. The labor savings alone makes the shocks nearly free in the long run. If DIY (like me) then waiting on the shocks is not as costly.

giandanielxk8 (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

I just checked several places as I am in need of a set - several are out of stock and looks like the only real option is what some are calling an upgrade kit with the urethane bushing vice the foam (welsh has best price here at $115each)

Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Exclamation You probably need new springs, too

What year is your XK?
It isn't just the bushings and upper spring pads that are tired. My 97 saw a big transformation by installing fresh front springs. The old ones were not just sagging but soft. Here's what I did and the difference it made: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-lift-76446/
I installed new springs AFTER I had driven it for a while with new shocks and spring pads. The shocks and pads only got it half way, it needed the springs. Also, tired springs aren't just a mileage symptom. Springs loose their original specs with age alone, just like the rubber bits.

Mike

Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
In your opinion, does it look like my front may be too low due to the shocks or mounts? It's never been lowered.
It's at least an inch too low. In my opinion your springs are shot.
And, shocks do not help support or lift the car, shocks dampen the oscillations. Springs and rubber bits support the car.

Mike

Last edited by OregonJag; 09-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, the difference is huge. It looks like your car is on stilettos now! Get some lowering springs!

So, how likely is it that the shocks are good, but the mounts and springs are bad?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Mike, the difference is huge. It looks like your car is on stilettos now! Get some lowering springs!

So, how likely is it that the shocks are good, but the mounts and springs are bad?
Lol. I drive the car too much on average roads to get it closer to the ground. I consider it my daily yoga just climbing down into it the way it is. I used to put 600 miles a week on it. I've even got tires one size taller (235/55-17) to improve the ride and add cushion to those easy to bend Revolvers.

Shocks are more of a wear-and-tear item, more bumps = sorter life span. Rubber bits and to a lesser extent coil springs are an age and environment related life span. Any of these cars that have rubber bits in the suspension over 10 years old, unless the car's been kept in a hermetically sealed garage up on stands off the tires, needs new rubber bits. Just this engineer's opinion and opinions are like..well, you know...

M
..keep driving 'em

Quick Reply: What is the factory spacing from fender arch to tire?