Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   What hose part numbers apply to my XKR? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/what-hose-part-numbers-apply-my-xkr-218195/)

giandanielxk8 05-23-2019 04:29 PM

What hose part numbers apply to my XKR?

My Jag is now 15 years old, and I think it is time to replace all the cooling system hoses. However, I am confused about the menagerie of hoses listed by SNG Barrat and am unsure which apply to my car, an '04 4.2 XKR. I plan on changing the big 3 and whatever else is accesible while I'm at it:
  • the 2 valley hoses
  • the octopus hose
  • throttle bottle gaskets
  • intake manifold gaskets
  • supercharger gaskets (is this a thing?) and might as well change the supercharger oil while I'm at it.
  • upper radiator hose. (I already have a new lower radiator hose installed)
  • intake manifold gaskets
  • hoses to the throttle body?
Am I'm missing anything? Can anyone, for everything that I listed and forgot, provide me with the correct part numbers?

Johnken 05-24-2019 08:51 PM

Glandaniel, today I found the leak in my cooling system. It is the outlet pipe (plastic) that the hoses plug into, also where the coolant temperature sensor screws in.

I did a quick look in the SNG Barrett catalog for a replacement. Found it - part number AJ81981. Then I went to find a price. Nothing below $500+ anywhere! Obviously too expensive to replace for no reason, but given the subject and my fresh memory of it , I wanted to add the part number for future reference. Hope you never need to use it.

Don't laugh but I almost had a heart attack when I saw that price. Called Coventry because they often have parts cars. They set me straight- I was using the part # for supercharged engines. FWIW the part # for the XK8 is AJ85885 (and it only costs $70).

Thought you'd find interesting.

John

giandanielxk8 05-25-2019 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 2075661)
Glandaniel, today I found the leak in my cooling system. It is the outlet pipe (plastic) that the hoses plug into, also where the coolant temperature sensor screws in.

I did a quick look in the SNG Barrett catalog for a replacement. Found it - part number AJ81981. Then I went to find a price. Nothing below $500+ anywhere! Obviously too expensive to replace for no reason, but given the subject and my fresh memory of it , I wanted to add the part number for future reference. Hope you never need to use it.

Don't laugh but I almost had a heart attack when I saw that price. Called Coventry because they often have parts cars. They set me straight- I was using the part # for supercharged engines. FWIW the part # for the XK8 is AJ85885 (and it only costs $70).

Thought you'd find interesting.

John

Wow, I do hope I don't need that part.

giandanielxk8 05-27-2019 09:26 PM

Can anyone confirm if these are the part #s I require?
  • C2N1937 - Upper Radiator Hose
  • AJ811638 - Thermostat Housing to Coolant Inlet Hose
  • AJ82528 - Inlet Manifold Gasket x 2
  • AJ83445 - Throttle Body Gasket
  • AJ87634 - Valley Hose (heater feed)
  • NNE3946CA - Valley Hose (Heater Return)
  • AJ88513 - Water Outlet to EGR Feed Hose (???)
  • AJ88519 - Throttle Return Hose (???)
  • NNE3944BA - Three-way Connector (Already have this for some odd reason)
  • MJA6728AC - Octopus Hose (heater hose)
  • MJB6720AC - Heater Hose (might this be part of the octopus?)
  • MJA6739AC - Heater Hose (Is this also part of the octopus assembly?)
  • MJA6721AG - Heater Hose (Please tell me this is included in the octopus and not a separate hose?)

There's nearly $600 in hoses here on SNG Barratt, and I can't tell if all of these apply to my car, or in the case of the last three heater hoses, if those are actually part of the octopus hose. I want to have all new hoses in my car so that I can be confident in taking it for a road trip during the summer. Am I missing anything, or have I selected more than is necessary?

John, I searched for the part you mentioned, and I highly doubt I will be needing it. On the supercharged cars, that part seems to be made out of aluminum or some other metal and is very robust. I inspected mine and it seems to be in good shape.

What is C2N1592 and do I also need that hose?

Johnken 05-27-2019 09:34 PM

G, did you include the bypass hose and I missed it? I assume supercharged cars have 1 too. It's a $7.00 part btw.

John

giandanielxk8 05-27-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 2076831)
G, did you include the bypass hose and I missed it? I assume supercharged cars have 1 too. It's a $7.00 part btw.

John

I believe that's AJ811638 - Thermostat Housing to Coolant Inlet Hose if I'm not mistaken?

Johnken 05-28-2019 07:15 AM

I'm more awake than last night. Didn't realize that there is such a difference between 4.0 and 4.2. I just checked and agree with you.

John

giandanielxk8 05-28-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 2076916)
I'm more awake than last night. Didn't realize that there is such a difference between 4.0 and 4.2. I just checked and agree with you.

John

Great! So, what hose brands do you trust? I've got them all in my shopping cart as OE hoses in SNG Barratt and that got expensive fast. Three quarters of them are for special order. I don't know who makes the aftermarket hoses they sell, but I have reason to believe it is Eurospare. I have also seen ÜRO hoses for some of these, are those any good?

Also, I found the upper radiator hose at about half price from the SNG Barratt one on Motorcars LTD. Do they carry quality parts, or are they cheap for a reason?

Johnken 05-29-2019 08:26 AM

I've never paid attention to hose brand names. Maybe someone smarter can answer?

When you said from SNG, I was surprised. Despite being a sponsor, I've always found them to be prohibitively expensive. Maybe I interpreted that backwards? If so, IMO it is typical, no surprise there. Bet I read it wrong and Barrett is 2x more...

John

giandanielxk8 05-29-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 2077412)
I've never paid attention to hose brand names. Maybe someone smarter can answer?

When you said from SNG, I was surprised. Despite being a sponsor, I've always found them to be prohibitively expensive. Maybe I interpreted that backwards? If so, IMO it is typical, no surprise there. Bet I read it wrong and Barrett is 2x more...

John

Sorry, my mistake. The hose SNG Barratt sells is twice the price the one Motorcars LTD sells.

giandanielxk8 06-02-2019 12:35 AM

I cross shopped and distributed the purchase between RockAuto, Motorcars, SNG Barratt, and Welsh. For all 14 parts, it was $495.23. Now I shall await their arrival as well as the end of the school semester to get to work.

I feel like getting all those hoses changed will give me some peace of mind. I also did end up buying a few more hoses not on the original list:
Supercharger Coolant feed hose: C2N1592, and Intercooler Hose: MJB8236AB. Also, since the supercharger must come out to be able to change the valley hoses, I will also take this opportunity to change the supercharger oil while it is out of the car.

I decided to postpone the valve cover gaskets as the leak is very very slow. I'm not adding any oil between oil changes, but I am having to add about 4 ounces of coolant every few weeks.