XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Always liked Jags but heard so many negative things about reliability. A friend purchased a 2000 XK8 and I started to salivate when i saw it. Decided to do some research and found my way to this mecca of information. After asking all the questions and finding such great information and support I decided to take the plunge. It has been one of the best things that I ever did. I love my car. Every time I look at it I get excited and can't believe that it's actually mine. Soooooo Sexy.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

There aren't a lot of convertibles for sale here in my area Mexico - everyone complains its too hot to have the roof down...

Still when I was offered a crash damaged XK8 plus cash for a twenty year old Miata, I was imediately interested. Then I saw it. Six weeks later I drove it. yesterday it came out of the body shop.

The seat still needs repairing, I have to get the new windscreen installed, plus sort out the steering vibration, the ABS module, and some other small irritations.

The car is drop dead gorgeous, and up to 70mph -before the vibration/ steering problem kicks in- it's fantastic to drive.

I cant imagine not having one now.

The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a kid just out of high school I got to drive an XKE V-12 and loved the heavy, stick to the road heavy, powerful performance of the Jag. I always wanted one after that, but pricing or maintenance issues always kept me away. I owned a surrey top Triumph TR4 in college, so had my fill of maintenance issues. A Mercedes coupe I owned later, while wonderful, just a sunroof didn’t quite cut it. But I definitely still wanted a convertible after tooling around in my friend’s firebird. As I got to the point in my life I could afford a better car, I knew the current fleet of BMW’s and Audi’s, even convertibles; we’re just too…common. When I started looking at Jags again I knew the XKR ‘vert was for me. It took me almost a year to find a low mileage (13K) 2003, just last year. But boy am I glad I did, it’s unique enough people think it’s brand new, or have no idea what it is, and what it is, is a BLAST!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought mine nearly eight years ago when I found out how cheap they were , then it was either a new Ford Focus or a Jaguar XK8 , no contest , nobody takes a second glance at a Focus but I still get kind remarks on mine virtually every time I drive it , it was and is one of the sexiest cars on the road ,

Nik

Here she is being photographed for the new series of "Wheeler Dealers" , look out for her on Sky televisions Discovery channel 1st May 2012

Name:  wheelerdealers001-1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  57.9 KB

Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I think that the XKR is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Doesn't matter if the top is up or down. All I know is that when I walk out to the parking lot and see about 10 people huddled around looking at it,and I say "excuse me",so I can get in it to drive away.... Well, need I say more?
Plus is pure luxury,and damned decent performance besides.

PeterNGilbertXK8 (11-27-2017)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
I fell in love with Jags when I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s. I still think that the XKE is the most beautiful car ever made. Then a couple years ago I was searching eBay for a car and saw that Jags were actually affordable. Did some research and learned that Ford had improved their reliability and finally found this forum which gave me the confidence to take the plunge. I think that next to the XKE, the X100 style XK is the most beautiful car ever made and realized I could own one without having to sell a kidney on the black market. I looked for about 10 months and found a 2002 Quartz (gray) XKR with 34k miles for $20k and bought it. I now own my dream car and I love it.

Mark
Are you me?!?!? This is virtually the same as my story. I fell in love with the XKE when I first saw one as a kid at the 1961 (I think) auto show in Manhattan. It was the first car I ever lusted after. I sort of forgot about Jaguar in later years but it again caught my attention with the introduction of the XK8 in 1996. Still pricing was way out of my league so I put it out of my mind.

Then after 14 years of owning a Corvette I finally relented to my wife's griping and, in 2008, started looking for a new car. There happened to be a car dealer across the street from my office that specialized in sports cars and semi-exotic cars. I noticed a couple of used XK8 in their lot but never bothered looking since I just naturally figured pricing would be astronomical. Then one day I finally stopped and looked and was astounded at how cheap these were. I had already been sold on the look of the exterior and was even more blown away by the stately interior. So that started me on my quest to get one, especially since cost would be much less than the new cars I was looking at.

Even today there is not much on the roads that look better than or even as good as our generation XK8/XKR.

Doug

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 61 Mark II and a 68 XKE that I put 142K miles on when I was younger and have always wanted another one. It's the timeless styling that I really like.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

beauty, luxury period

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

to elaborate these were new when I was in college and I saw them around Vegas and they just stood out like nothing else. Only a really high end car stands out like that, this is in reach of anybody cost wise. These cars will be classics someday, already are actually.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Had a '69 E-type roadster, then 1 child and a '70 XJ6 SWB, then 2 more kids and a Jeep Wagoneer, then assorted Volvo wagons, then empty-nest Miata, now '99 XK8 with room for wife and Scotty dog. Completing the circle. Maybe a Daimler hearse?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Is it really necessary to explain?

Name:  MyXKR09b.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  62.9 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Pavlik:
9mileskid (01-28-2013), Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When I was a kid in the mid sixties my dad had two XKE's at different times and several Austin Healey 3000's through the years. He had a great friend that always drove new Jaguars. His friend had an XKE and a four door sedan (not sure if they were XJ's at the time). I can remember riding in those Jags and recognizing the smell and quality of the interior was a cut above all other cars that I had ever ridden in. When I reached driving age my dads Jags were gone but his friend would let me drive his Jags as if they were just another car. Added to the smell and quality I noticed as a kid, I quickly realized that these cars were very special in comfort, feel and handling even though they didn't have the high performance of the Corvettes (which I also loved)
Funny that my my first car was an Austin Healey, I've had a few Corvettes but when I first saw the XK8 and the resemblance to the XKE I knew that I had to have one.
On my second XK8. Cant afford an XKE. At my age (55), I feel a little old for a new model Corvette and can't afford the classic Vettes I would be comfortable in.
If I won the lottery I would have a stable of different cars including an XKE, Austin Healey 3000, '67 big block Corvette convertable but one thing for sure, I would most often be driving my XK8.
As far as becoming a classic, I don't know. My '06 is the last year of its body style and I like that but I doubt that anyone will care about that any more than they care who has the last XJS! But thats OK. The XK8 will always ring the bell for me. It has become my favorite car of all.
2X

The following 3 users liked this post by 2ndxk8:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019), SeismicGuy (03-24-2012), Utrider (07-11-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks and the history of Jaguar. Plus the value after depreciation.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
Because of the "out-classed by a Jag" look on the face of every $100K Audi driver I see with their high-tech matt paintwork, drug-dealer wheels and ultra-bright LED DRLs dazzling everyone else off the road

[IMG]http://www.ijdmtoy.com8/ebay/Ebay/LED_Strip/GW
/Audi_A5_LED_Strip_18.jpg[/IMG]
Love it. Have to share this with my brother who drives A8Ls.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

When the XJS replaced the XKE, it was as if Jaguar took all the sensuousness out of its grand tourer and skipped a generation. The XK series brought it all back. To just look at it is to bring back the best of the classic age of car design with more modern underpinnings. I obviously have a passion for older sports cars (see the list of my cars) because of that sensuality of design. When I had a chance to buy my 2002 XKR in exceptional condition with about 60k miles on it 3 years ago for about $15,000, I couldn't resist. Classic design, performance, topless, and room for two sets of golf clubs, all for the price of a 5 year old Toyota Camry, how could I not do it?

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
JagNoir (10-15-2017), Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

The guy I bought the jag from was driving a late model Toyota and I asked him how he liked it. He said "its very ordinary". He had tears in his eyes when I left. We still call it Larry's car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Marco:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019), Mikeamalfi (03-26-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby's Guy
Love it. Have to share this with my brother who drives A8Ls.
I didn't get the memo you couldn't like both.

The big Audis are nice for winter and for when you need a good sized interior. How fast you're able to take those big limos through the bends will surprise the crap out of you too; and how bad the winter can be before you really notice it inside. That said, I like my Audi, but I really love my Jaguar and know which one is going to likely leave first.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

It has to be one of the best looking cars on the road... even though it's 14 years old.. a timeless classic.. wanted one back in 1997... had to wait till last year to get one, and as Jen keeps telling me, now we will always have a XK8 in the driveway.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stop staring at it.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I didn't get the memo you couldn't like both.

The big Audis are nice for winter and for when you need a good sized interior. How fast you're able to take those big limos through the bends will surprise the crap out of you too; and how bad the winter can be before you really notice it inside. That said, I like my Audi, but I really love my Jaguar and know which one is going to likely leave first.

Fair enough! That A8L is an amazing car. Very impressive handling and wonderful in many respects. AWD is a marvelous thing! Both of his have been very nice cars.

I think I understand your "like" and "love" statement. That Jag is BEAUTIFUL.

Quick Reply: What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?