XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting story giandanielxk8 .

In some tropical countries, imported cars go through a process normally known as "tropicalization", where they prepare the car for the different conditions. That may include cooling system upgrade, suspension rework, different tyres and even wheels and so on. Was the X100 officially imported by Jaguar there or was it brought over from the U.S. independently?

And I honestly think the X100 looks better than even some newer than the DB7 Astons too, such as the DB9 family and DB9 contemporary Astons. I just like the classic look of the X100.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JRabbit
Good luck. It is a fun ride for a large sedan and still gets admiring looks. I was feeling nostalgic and thought about getting a V8 S-type from 2004 or 2005 for when i have to turn the RX back in November. We still need an adult sized back seat occasionally and I found that the asking prices for low mileage S-Types were really attractive. I have decided to look for a low mileage 2004-2009 XJR instead. For only a few dollars more you get a full stop upgrade in size and appointments. Curb weight of the XJR is listed at 3960 lbs, almost the same as the XKR and same 390 HP motor. Friends of mine who are long-time XJ owners remain rabid fans so there must be something to it. Just waiting for the right one to surface.
The X350 and X358 are definitely nice looking cars and look very comfortable indeed. But a little too conservative for me. I know the S-type can be seen as conservative by some. But it's actually retro and even being retro it has a very distinct look that makes it look fresh among all the angry looking modern cars. Also the XJ might be a little on the too large size for me. The S-type is supposed to be Mercedes E sized and that is perfect. The XJ is a S Class type and that is a bit overkill for me. But definitely a beautiful car.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeagar

And I honestly think the X100 looks better than even some newer than the DB7 Astons too, such as the DB9 family and DB9 contemporary Astons. I just like the classic look of the X100.
I am with you.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

In some tropical countries, imported cars go through a process normally known as "tropicalization", where they prepare the car for the different conditions. That may include cooling system upgrade, suspension rework, different tyres and even wheels and so on. Was the X100 officially imported by Jaguar there or was it brought over from the U.S. independently?

I believe, that like all cars sold here, they are probably imported from the USA. I mean, they do have to go there anyways before arriving here because of the Jone's Act. I believe it is probably the same situation as the US Virgin Islands, Guam, and Hawaii. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can weigh in. Laws are not my strong suit.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Nowhere I said I wanted something that matched the Astra. I said I would not mind something as reliable. I also acknowledged the car is simpler. Obviously there is less to go wrong. But I don't subscribe to the notion that the X100 gets a pass on being unreliable over the Astra because it was so cutting edge or something
None of which I said/claimed. Please don't say or imply that I did.

Seems to me you're inventing reasons to argue against actual experience. Pointless.

If you don't LIKE what people have found actually to be the case, OK but move along. Don't do what looks to be trolling.

Buy a different car.

Last edited by JagV8; 02-12-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
None of which I said/claimed. Please don't say or imply that I did.

Seems to me you're inventing reasons to argue against actual experience. Pointless.

If you don't LIKE what people have found actually to be the case, OK but move along. Don't do what looks to be trolling.

Buy a different car.
If I judge it by this reply it looks like you are 1. not reading my replies, and 2. bitter for some reason and taking things personally.

But it's fine. There are others actually trying to help and addressing my points with solid posts. So not a real bother.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I think the implication seems to be that if you own a x100 your not going to admit to its faults. Perhaps suggesting that we are fooling ourselves into believing we have good cars.

I cannot speak for everyone else but I can assure you its not the case with me. I have spent the last 4 years of ownership actively looking for faults. I do this with every car I have owned. One can never achieve perfection but there is no harm in trying.

If you have a few hours to spare reading then perhaps you could take a look Franks XKR Story.

I would advise however going here and doing the photobucket fix first so you can see the pretty, and not so pretty, pictures. Photobucket Fix.

The following users liked this post:
Jeagar (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
I think the implication seems to be that if you own a x100 your not going to admit to its faults. Perhaps suggesting that we are fooling ourselves into believing we have good cars.

I cannot speak for everyone else but I can assure you its not the case with me. I have spent the last 4 years of ownership actively looking for faults. I do this with every car I have owned. One can never achieve perfection but there is no harm in trying.

If you have a few hours to spare reading then perhaps you could take a look Franks XKR Story.

I would advise however going here and doing the photobucket fix first so you can see the pretty, and not so pretty, pictures. Photobucket Fix.
Thanks. I will check that link when I get the chance. Much appreciated.

As for implicating that if you own a x100 you are not going to admit to its faults, as I already said, this is not what I meant. Although there are indeed owners that way, owners of every car, who will pretend their car is perfect, in a way to save face or something, and to confirm that all you need to do is looking around the web, I wasn't saying every single owner is that way. I was merely saying I would rather not have that type of owner taking part here. But as you can see, thankfully, there have been several current owners who have posted and also listed problems. Several who gave balanced and unbiased opinions. So it's clear that not every owner is lying to himself and I'm thankful for that. Although I don't think it's a case of lying to oneself as much as it is not wanting to admit the car is not perfect. But they know it.
I already explained myself and basically had said all the above before. So I hope I won't have to keep repeating myself. Matter of fact, I will choose not to. I think I have tried clarifying it in several posts now. It should be clear by now to anyone reading my posts that my intention was just to discourage unrealistic owners from posting. But I have welcomed solid and balanced opinions from current owners. Those who tried shining a light on the real problems the car may have and are not being precious about it. This type of opinion and current owners feedback is priceless. This is welcome here.

So I will not keep repeating myself. This will be the last time.

To anybody who may still think I'm a troll, with all the effort and time I'm putting into the thread, a troll would have to be paid to keep at it like that. It's just too much time to invest for trolling and I have tried taking time to address every valid reply. If anybody thinks I'm a troll after all that, then be it.

For those who want to help I will continue to address their replies. Thankfully there are many trying to help. The reply explaining that the regular maintenance meant here is basically following the recommended maintenance on the Owner's Manual for example cleared the air a lot. Anybody could have given that reply instead of choosing to be offended by my criticisms of the car, which I didn't come up with but heard several times from different "sources". I asked the question several times. But I guess it's always easier to label somebody who disagrees with a troll instead.

Anyway, thanks again to all those who are trying to help.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

From your updated OP header:

68 post on this thread and we are still having difficultly determining what you are wanting.
I suggest that you use the "Thanks" key in the bottom right corner of each post that has helped you. That way, we can focus in on your needs. Maybe then, those whose replies that you questioned as "bitter" or such, will have the opportunity to display some of their many skills that make this forum one of the best.

Last edited by Dr. D; 02-13-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added "whose"
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. D
From your updated OP header:

68 post on this thread and we are still having difficultly determining what you are wanting.
I suggest that you use the "Thanks" key in the bottom right corner of each post that has helped you. That way, we can focus in on your needs. Maybe then, those whose replies that you questioned as "bitter" or such, will have the opportunity to display some of their many skills that make this forum one of the best.
I thanked the most helpful people personally in my replies to them. I would have thought that was enough. It is there, in black and white, in my reply in text form and I quoted the posters too. So it's clear which posts I thought were very helpful.

But if there is a feeling that it's necessary to do more, I went back now and used the thank button to thank all posts which were even mildly helpful.

There were basically three types of replies:
  1. Replies saying the car is not unreliable and has served them well.
  2. Replies just dissing, implying I'm a troll, attempts at failed jokes and telling me what I should do with my own money.
  3. Replies which actually addressed my questions, which were the most helpful and I thanked personally in text form.

I have now also thanked some replies which fall under category 1. Some of them have given interesting information at least.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Here's a few things to keep in mind about these cars:

The engine is generally bulletproof. If you buy cars from before 2003, make sure they have had the timing chain tensioners replaced for the metal variant, if not, do that. The Nikasil lined engines shouldn't be a problem anymore. Those were affected by sulphur content in petrol, which is not present anymore. The cars that were affected already had their engines self-destruct, so any remaining X100s should not be affected by the Nikasil-sulphur reaction. The transmission can be hit or miss. Mercedes 5 speeds are the most reliable, followed by the ZF 6 speed. The least reliable is the ZF - 5 speed. Despite them all being sealed for life, you should change the oil and filter at about 100,000 miles if not earlier. 'For life' basically means the life the car will have with the first owner during the warranty period.

Since the engines are made of aluminium, you want to be on top of the cooling system. Make sure to flush the coolant every couple of years, and that all the components of it are in good working order. Any leaks that develop you most definitely will want corrected quickly. The earlier cars had weak water pumps because the vanes were plastic. Metal vaned units can commonly be found for sale. If your thermostat housing is plastic, inspect it for cracks and leaks, update to the later aluminum housing and you will no longer have a problem. As long as it's well looked after, the cooling system shouldn't be a problem. The suspension bits; bushings are rubber which degrades with age, the same goes for the cooling system hoses. Upgrade to polybush if you desire, those should last longer. If the front end is sagging, change the dampers and the damper mounts as well.

If you get the convertible, the hydraulic top mechanism leaks through the roof console every 6ish years depending on use. There's a fix for that, but I'm not sure it is fool proof. I think that's a ticking time-bomb and after having driven both, the coupe is worth the extra rigidity and the elimination of cowl shake. Plus you get peace of mind regarding that hydraulic leak.

If these things are addressed in a timely manner (I think some do appear in the maintenance manual, you should have a trouble free ride. In my opinion, the problems with these cars usually stem from previous owner neglect.

Jeagar (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Here's a few things to keep in mind about these cars:

The engine is generally bulletproof. If you buy cars from before 2003, make sure they have had the timing chain tensioners replaced for the metal variant, if not, do that. The Nikasil lined engines shouldn't be a problem anymore. Those were affected by sulphur content in petrol, which is not present anymore. The cars that were affected already had their engines self-destruct, so any remaining X100s should not be affected by the Nikasil-sulphur reaction. The transmission can be hit or miss. Mercedes 5 speeds are the most reliable, followed by the ZF 6 speed. The least reliable is the ZF - 5 speed. Despite them all being sealed for life, you should change the oil and filter at about 100,000 miles if not earlier. 'For life' basically means the life the car will have with the first owner during the warranty period.

Since the engines are made of aluminium, you want to be on top of the cooling system. Make sure to flush the coolant every couple of years, and that all the components of it are in good working order. Any leaks that develop you most definitely will want corrected quickly. The earlier cars had weak water pumps because the vanes were plastic. Metal vaned units can commonly be found for sale. If your thermostat housing is plastic, inspect it for cracks and leaks, update to the later aluminum housing and you will no longer have a problem. As long as it's well looked after, the cooling system shouldn't be a problem. The suspension bits; bushings are rubber which degrades with age, the same goes for the cooling system hoses. Upgrade to polybush if you desire, those should last longer. If the front end is sagging, change the dampers and the damper mounts as well.

If you get the convertible, the hydraulic top mechanism leaks through the roof console every 6ish years depending on use. There's a fix for that, but I'm not sure it is fool proof. I think that's a ticking time-bomb and after having driven both, the coupe is worth the extra rigidity and the elimination of cowl shake. Plus you get peace of mind regarding that hydraulic leak.

If these things are addressed in a timely manner (I think some do appear in the maintenance manual, you should have a trouble free ride. In my opinion, the problems with these cars usually stem from previous owner neglect.
Another great balanced and unbiased reply. Thanks. Very helpful.

It's becoming easier to see where the unreliable reputation comes from. Those design flaws definitely count as unreliable. Sure any car can have design flaws but it doesn't change the fact they made it unreliable. Had them not been there and been done properly as in the later cars, the bad reputation would have probably never caught on. So it's hard to say the cars didn't deserve the reputation. Normal wear and tear is fair. Failures because of bad design is a different matter.

So by now it seems we have at least mostly answered the original question, which was, "what is it which makes the X100 unreliable and gives it such a bad reputation? "Like I said it's becoming easier to understand now.

So thanks again for the post. That helped way more than just saying "if well kept they will be reliable." In actuality, even if by now most cars have been corrected, the more correct way to put it would have been, if you correct all the mistakes the engineers made, the car will be reliable.

Knowing that makes all the difference in judging the car and gauging if it is something I want to deal with or not. Thanks for detailing it. There were some mentions of it spread around the thread already (thanks to those as well) but you shined a light on it in a more encompassing and detailed way.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldn't say that most X100 problems are because of bad engineering (although some are).

The ZF 5 speed transmission was used on a few different manufactures models, so it's problem is consistent in most models it's used in.

The Nikasil engines were a pretty high end development and was used in other manufactures engines. The sulfur reaction with that lining I guess is an engineering mistake but most X100 cars still on the road would probably not have an issue.

Plastic chain guides were definitely not an X100 only problem. My two Audi's both have the same issue and my wife's A6 has been the most trouble free car we've owned (166,000 miles with no major problems)

Plastic water pump fan and thermostat housing were all done to reduce weight. Many manufactures have done this also, American, Japanese, and European. They all suffer the same problem after time.

Rubber suspension bushings I don't consider an engineering mistake. It was Jaguars way of getting "that ride". After time, they degrade. Any rubber will do this.

What I'm saying is many of the "problems" with the X100 are specific engineering decisions to fix a problem or get a specific result. Some of these problems are also age specific. Purchasing any 10 to 18 year old vehicle will leave you with some of the same problems.

Now all that being said, there are some, in my opinion, foolish decisions in the construction of the X100. Octopus hose and heater pump. VVT seals that are very finicky. Convertible hydraulic system that is a problem waiting to happen. No sound out of the stock exhaust system (just kidding).

Bottom line is, they are fantastic looking cars that have some weird aura that makes you put up with the problems. I have 4 cars and I don't consider the XK8 the best of them, yet I'm drawn to it.

Jeagar (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I have been reading this post as I have been thinking about adding a XK8 or R to the stable in the future.

I would recommend to any one who is thinking about buying a particular vehicle to not only spend time on the forums learning from the owners of the vehicle but also make a few calls or if possible go in person and speak to a few repair shops that specialize in repairing the type of vehicle you are looking at as they will have a wealth of knowledge on issues, costs and parts availability for a potential purchase. They deal with your potential vehicle every day covering a broad spectrum of mileages and conditions.

I know for myself that as a Jaguar enthusiast my Jags are well taken care of so both my current Jags have pretty low miles and if I had a big enough house I might even park one in a game room so I could stare at it all the time-LOL!

My point is I have no problem being honest with my ownership experience but for me that ownership experience is a bit limited. For example I spent a great deal of time finding the best examples I could afford to start with so I do not really know how well my Jags would be doing had they been driven like my normal daily driver. All that said I have found the owners on this forum to be very straight forward with their ownership experiences and will go out of there way to help in any way they can-but being polite and humble goes a long way.

What I noticed with just your title to your post was you were starting your inquiry by being negative by stating the X100 was already unreliable. Now since you do not have any direct experience with owning a X100 it seems like you would have been better off by stating in your title something like " I have heard the X100 can be unreliable-true or false? "

I am just sharing a honest evaluation on how your post came across and I wish you well on your search. If I had only listened to all the negative comments about Jaguar cars I never would have taken the plunge and I would have missed out on my most gratifying car ownership experience to date. I will say that there have been surprises owning a older Jaguar like how reliable it has been or how inexpensive some of the parts were, but the biggest surprise is the big smile on my face every time I drive it.

The following 5 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Fulton (02-14-2018), JagNoir (02-14-2018), Jeagar (02-15-2018), JRabbit (02-14-2018), Mark Oz (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
If I had only listened to all the negative comments about Jaguar cars I never would have taken the plunge and I would have missed out on my most gratifying car ownership experience to date.
+1 (REF: my post #20) and my wallet (and as others on the forum have expressed over the years ) was left with some extra money in it after the purchase due to those comments.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Pretty much over this thread now. The OP started it with the premise that the X100 is unreliable and developed it from there.
There's been brickbats for those that had the gall to dispute that or had the temerity to actually be a current satisfied owner of the model and then there has been some thanks for anything pointing out anything even remotely resembling a design flaw or engineering blunder that might buttress the original assertion of unreliability.
I am at a total loss as to why the OP would ever consider owning an X100.

Fulton (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Hopefully he won't as he will no doubt be disappointed.

Fulton (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 AM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

In fairness to Jeagar, he stated at the outset that he loved the styling of the car, which is probably what attracted the majority of us to it. Until I bought mine, I always had sensible family cars. It was only when I saw one for sale locally for a very low price that I realised that I could realise my dream. That car turned out to be rough as a bears *rse, but it was sufficient to spark my enthusiasm and my search took me to look at lots of cars until I found the best I could afford. Fortunately in the UK, there are plenty of cars to look at within a relatively small geographic area.

Jeagar, what part of the country are you in?

Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by renaultvation
In fairness to Jeagar, he stated at the outset that he loved the styling of the car, which is probably what attracted the majority of us to it. Until I bought mine, I always had sensible family cars. It was only when I saw one for sale locally for a very low price that I realised that I could realise my dream. That car turned out to be rough as a bears *rse, but it was sufficient to spark my enthusiasm and my search took me to look at lots of cars until I found the best I could afford. Fortunately in the UK, there are plenty of cars to look at within a relatively small geographic area.

Jeagar, what part of the country are you in?
I am at the point that we should be fair to Jeager also. While the content of first 13 post covered a multitude, it was not processed that way. He has displayed tenacity, energy, and very detailed responses. Those are some of the same traits of the most helpful members on this forum.
I assume his country DE=Germany.

Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe the original question was, "What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable"? Personally I would have to say FORD. I have had my 2002 XK8 for two years and the maintenance that I have had to do was attributed to the plastic parts on the engine that Ford insisted on using to cut costs. These are easily replaced with metal parts. Would I replace my engine with one manufactured by an American company? I think not. I now have a car that is unique and has character that I can be proud to drive.

By the way, I owned one Ford once, and you will never see me drive another one.

Quick Reply: What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable?