XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Mods Reduce Value

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Mods Reduce Value

I've had my XK8 a few months. I was looking at the common mods for these cars. Obviously you do the mechanical improvements without question such as the tensioners. My question is what common modifications are good to do, and what will reduce value of the car? I have seen things like the Exhaust mods to change the tone of the exhaust, custom wheels, grills, interior parts etc. Which of these would you do and what would you not do on one of these cars that might decrease the value?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:30 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Pretty much any modification will decrease the cars value.

The only thing I can think of that won't is fitting a different set of GENUINE wheels.

For example, an XK8 fitted with a set of 20" OEM BBS wheels from an XKR.

Just about everything else has the potential to put off a buyer.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

+1

Higher specification Jaguar wheels are the only consistent exception. Disregarding value variations according to condition and history, an original build specification always comes out top.

Later generation tensionsers are an UPGRADE - not a MODIFICATION.

If you do carry out exterior/interior mods to your own taste, keep the OE parts available then potential future buyers can make up their own minds.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
+1

Higher specification Jaguar wheels are the only consistent exception. Disregarding value variations according to condition and history, an original build specification always comes out top.

Later generation tensionsers are an UPGRADE - not a MODIFICATION.

If you do carry out exterior/interior mods to your own taste, keep the OE parts available then potential future buyers can make up their own minds.

Graham
Definitely keep all the original parts and fasteners and store them safely so they won't deteriorate (i.e. not in your wet basement or hot attic). Then the value should remain to the extent that the original parts can be reinstalled relatively easily. However, if a buyer is looking at $1,000s of dollars in labor to return the car to stock, then he's going to offer that much less. If its just some basic tools and a weekend, then the buyer is going to offer only a few hundred less and then you might think its worth it. But if the original parts are gone, then there's the cost of the parts in addition to the labor, PLUS the hassle of sourcing replacement parts which at some point becomes more trouble than the car is worth.

If you still want to do a mod that involves permanent alterations to an original part, keep the original part pristine, but source a "spare" part to modify. Spare parts will be much easier to find today than they will in ten or twenty years when a collector is willing to pay a significant premium for an original car. Also, DON'T DRILL or CUT or WELD anything and don't paint anything that wasn't originally painted. And don't apply glues or tape anywhere it potentially might damage the original finish during removal. If a modification involves drilling or cutting or painting or welding, then it gets very expensive to undo.

The only exceptions may be "period correct" modifications and safety upgrades. I can't think of modern Jaguar examples, but for instance all those chrome engine dress-up bits that you can buy today at Summit for a muscle car are a waste of money on the resale side, but an aftermarket cast intake manifold that was only available in the 1960s or early 70s is viewed very differently by collectors. Adding seat belts or putting a vintage looking dual brake master cylinder on a car that originally only had a single generally does not diminish the value very much or at all in most cases.

So you do have options to preserve the originality, but still personalize the car to your own liking without taking a big hit on resale. Just whatever you do, don't paint it pepto bismal pink and an ostrich interior. Even if those are your favorites, few buyers will share your taste.

Last edited by pdupler; 09-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by Norri:
bcprice36 (09-09-2018), Don B (09-09-2018), GGG (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile RC Tod

Whatever you do, don't put a "Leaper" on the Bonnet! Also, if you change the Wheels, be sure you use one of the wheels that have been designed for the XK8.....!

It's OK to change out the Amber Side Markers and Repeaters and it's OK to change out the High Beams to LED's...But you don't want to do any Body changes! The only Body change that I have seen that worked was changing the Nose Piece to a 2005-2006.....but that cost and entails quite a bit of Money and Shop time. I wouldn't do something like that as the Car should stay original as possible! On that same thought, I've seen some of the Guys with the 2001 -2002's that have changed out the Grill to a Mesh Grill, which I think looks good and it's something that can be replaced without much trouble.....Other than these few things, I don't think it should be done...….but, it's your XK8, have fun!

Good luck with your XK8 and send us some Photos of it! Above all, Enjoy driving it!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 09-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Generally don't do any mods that are obvious to untrained eyes.

Avoid custom wheels unless you keep the originals around.

Keep personal preference mods in the realm of "revertible". Doing something like custom upholstery is in the not revertible category. Neither is custom audio.

Like Billy said do not add a leaper to the hood - ever.

The best mods are the ones that enhance the usability of the car. Like the convertible top controller, real gauges, radio antenna switch, usb charger, bluetooth adapter, etc..

Exterior mods like a modern grille usually work out okay if they are installed well. (I've seen a few fubar installations that were embarrassing to the brand.)

Exhaust mods are risky. That will limit your resale customer base for sure.

If you approach the changes as
restoration first,
then usability enhancement,
then personalization
you will probably run out of steam before you get to the bad ideas.

If you read thru FrankC's thread or my working thread you will find all kinds of motivation on what to do, a lot of which is inexpensive but will improve/transform your experience with the car.

Whenever you are unsure about a particular mod, just post a question. You will undoubtedly get opinions.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 PM
Default Here are a few picture of it. They were professionally done. There's few blemishes

The following 3 users liked this post by RC Tod:
bcprice36 (09-09-2018), Don B (09-09-2018), Norri (09-10-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Cool RC Tod and the 2001 XK8 Convertible!

RC,
Great Photos! The color looks super nice with the Ivory Interior.....I like it! What number is the Paint? The number or Code for the Color is shown on the little label on the Driver's door jam (Like PEC or something like that) The chromed Wheels look great! I'm not sure what they are called but I believe they are 18" Centuar's, but if I am wrong, you can count on one of the Guys correcting me! Also, one of them will let you know that the Front-end is setting too low and what to do about that! They are a good bunch and all love their XK8's and XKR's.....Anytime you have a problem just let us know and you will get more help than you will know what to do with!

Beautiful XK8!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
RC,
Great Photos! The color looks super nice with the Ivory Interior.....I like it! What number is the Paint? The number or Code for the Color is shown on the little label on the Driver's door jam (Like PEC or something like that) The chromed Wheels look great! I'm not sure what they are called but I believe they are 18" Centuar's, but if I am wrong, you can count on one of the Guys correcting me! Also, one of them will let you know that the Front-end is setting too low and what to do about that! They are a good bunch and all love their XK8's and XKR's.....Anytime you have a problem just let us know and you will get more help than you will know what to do with!

Beautiful XK8!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Unfortunately that tag seems to be missing! The Wheels are stock. I think there was a package you could get for those. Now, the front end....not sure. The mechanic didn't say anything about t being lowered. The tires it was photographed with were the wrong size for a stock Jag. They were very low profile.I bought new tires and it looks much better. Rides far better too!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:16 PM

P.S. Guys, yea .....a Leaper on an XK? Hahaha...dont worry....wont be ruining by doing that! Some mods on a car make you wonder, how does that person deserve that car?

Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,567 Likes on 939 Posts

, I can't definitively say a certain modification will, or will not add or subtract value. If anyone is telling you that adding X,Y, or Z will result in a guaranteed profit, run away from them, because there are no guarantees in car resale.

But without a doubt, any modification will ALWAYS reduce the pool of prospective buyers. That may mean nothing, after all, all it takes is one buyer who likes your modded car and you are set. But on the other hand, it may take you A LOT LONGER to sell the car . There's just no telling how long it will take for a buyer to show up who has your EXACT same tastes. In the meantime, a stock car has been looked at by several buyers, and it's likely one of them will jump on it.

another thing to consider is know much enjoyment you will get out of a particular modification. It had better be substantial, because you will never get dollar for dollar paid back in a sale for what a modification has cost you . 50% pay back of mod cost is about the top one can expect to get in a sale.

Z

Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 AM
GGG

Photos look great.

They remind me that a frequent mod is to remove the rubbing strips along the sides (held on with double sided tape). They were in the wrong place to prevent door dings and Jaguar omitted them on the later years.

Graham

Old 09-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Photos look great.

They remind me that a frequent mod is to remove the rubbing strips along the sides (held on with double sided tape). They were in the wrong place to prevent door dings and Jaguar omitted them on the later years.

Graham
No wish to drag the thread off topic but l have seen the strip issue mentioned a few times but mine at least are positioned such that they are on the widest point of the body side profile. Not sure where else they should be.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:55 AM
PSP
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not even sure about the wheels. I sold an 87 Porsche Carrera with 993 wheels that looked great, but every buyer wanted the Fuchs. I was surprised that it would make a difference even though the newer wheels looked better IMHO.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PSP
I'm not even sure about the wheels. I sold an 87 Porsche Carrera with 993 wheels that looked great, but every buyer wanted the Fuchs. I was surprised that it would make a difference even though the newer wheels looked better IMHO.
I can understand Porsche guys being pretty big on originality, but I'm not sure XK buyers are as much, given their values haven't shot back up the way 911s have. When/if I sell my XKR, it could be a litmus test of the newer factory parts thing, given I currently have the quad exhast from a 2005 XKR on my 2001, and am prepping some BBS Milans to replace my current double-five spokes.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:34 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by baxtor
.... mine at least are positioned such that they are on the widest point of the body side profile. Not sure where else they should be.
Unusual.

The photos of RC Tod's are the same position as my 2001 XK8 and this was certainly NOT on the maximum curvature of the door where they would protect against dings.

Graham

Old 09-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Graham,

The side moldings look to be in the same place as my 1998, 2000 and 2003.....They came off right in line with the Leaper or the Repeater's. Your right in that they are not at the widest point of the Car but they look best there! That's the way the Jaguar Guys wanted it and that's the way it is...….I never liked it but that was the way is was! The 2005 doesn't have them but they do have the Rockers....which I like much better, especially with the new Front Nose-piece, which has the start of the Rocker Panels on the lower outside edge.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by labcoatguy
I can understand Porsche guys being pretty big on originality, but I'm not sure XK buyers are as much, given their values haven't shot back up the way 911s have.
That example is wheels from a totally different model though. I meant X100 XKR wheels on an X100 XK8.

When/if I sell my XKR, it could be a litmus test of the newer factory parts thing, given I currently have the quad exhast from a 2005 XKR on my 2001, and am prepping some BBS Milans to replace my current double-five spokes.
Those sort of mods could easily be overlooked as "factory" so they probably wouldn't devalue the car. The BBS wheels could even add a bit of value, since they are damn expensive to find on their own now, so long as the wheels are an original colour, don't paint them black or something different to factory.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

If you've bought an X100 and are worried about resale value, you've made a serious error in judgment. Do to the car what makes you happy, this isn't a car where you'll be worrying about the return on investment anytime soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
rhbourne (10-14-2018), Rosettaquarrier (09-25-2018)

Quick Reply: What Mods Reduce Value