Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   What is the most quiet tyre for our luxury tourings cars ??? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/what-most-quiet-tyre-our-luxury-tourings-cars-200120/)

Supersprint 04-16-2018 02:32 PM

What is the most quiet tyre for our luxury tourings cars ???

There are a lot of tyre t(h)reads in here but I can't find "the" one about tyre noise.
I'm on 3 years old Goodyear Eagle F1 19" and the noise from the tyres are NOT contributing to the driving experience / pleasure :icon_sad: Gone hard in 3 years ?
In my experience tyres of many different brands starts out as being nice and quiet and then over time noise level increases.
Tyres in the 245-275 range will never be totally silent of course but can anyone recommend a really quiet tyre then please do so. I don't care too much about dry grip as I tend to cruise rather than race this type of car.

Carsten

rothwell 04-16-2018 03:00 PM

These questions always come up, everybody replies with their love or hate opinions based on their experience, then the OP usually ends up buying what fits in their budget. :icon_doh:

So can we start with "how much you are willing to spend?" and maybe spare some members the frustration of taking time to provide opinions on tires that are not within your price range. :icon_shrug:

avern1 04-16-2018 03:06 PM

I replaced the tires on my XK8 4 years ago with Nitto Motivo tires. Good grip and low road noise. I'm happy with them and will buy again.

SLazz 04-16-2018 05:32 PM

I ran Toyo Proxies on my Mercedes SLs and they were quiet w/ good grip but they are summer tires and I don't think they would work well in wet conditions. I'll be trying them on my XK when the time arrives for a change. They are pricey but well worth the extra dough.

bcprice36 04-16-2018 07:25 PM

Supersprint and Tire Brands!

Sprint,

It all depends on what you are willing to pay! I'm a cheapskate when it comes to Tires....Why pay big bucks for something that IS going to wear-out? But then again, you want them to be safe and you want them to be quiet, so you need to pay a bit more.....NOT MUCH MORE but a little.....
My opinion is the Tires I have used for the past 10 years or so:
Front: Contential Extreme Contact DW's and Rear: Contential Extreme Contract DWS......The DW's up-Front have BIG WIDE Treads, handle well and are quite....and the Matching Rear DWS's have 40% Regular tread and 60% Snow grip.....they hold the Road....Good Traction on take-off and they are quite also! The best part is they run about $150 to $180.00 each.....at Discount Tire.............

Billy Clyde in Houston

giandanielxk8 04-16-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36 (Post 1878383)
Sprint,

It all depends on what you are willing to pay! I'm a cheapskate when it comes to Tires....Why pay big bucks for something that IS going to wear-out? But then again, you want them to be safe and you want them to be quiet, so you need to pay a bit more.....NOT MUCH MORE but a little.....
My opinion is the Tires I have used for the past 10 years or so:
Front: Contential Extreme Contact DW's and Rear: Contential Extreme Contract DWS......The DW's up-Front have BIG WIDE Treads, handle well and are quite....and the Matching Rear DWS's have 40% Regular tread and 60% Snow grip.....they hold the Road....Good Traction on take-off and they are quite also! The best part is they run about $150 to $180.00 each.....at Discount Tire.............

Billy Clyde in Houston

You know, I used to be a cheap skate on tires as well, but not any more. After my dad died, I inherited a Harley. Now, I don't know if you know about motorcycles, but here is the gist of them. There is no metal cocoon protecting you from the pavement. It's just you, your skill, your safety equipment and your tires. So, I went to buy tires for the bike, I was awestruck by the price of those tires. Motorcycle tires are stupid expensive. So, I chose the cheapest tires I could find off the rack. The sales guy wasn't having it. He refused to sell me those tires. He said, son, you're young. You are putting your life on the line with those cheap Chinese tires. One bad move and your toast. Are you willing to stake your life on cheap tires? If you are, then you are not buying them from me. I can't keep my conscience clean by selling you these tires. You either invest in better tires, or you keep your bike as a living room piece of art.

You may say apples and oranges."A car will protect me". But, maybe a good tire is the difference between a pretty mint condition kitty, and a Jag that just got totaled by Progressive Insurance. To be clear, I'm not saying the tires you suggested are bad.

Ungn 04-16-2018 09:25 PM

I'm with Billy Clyde on the continental extreme contacts. They are too quiet so I hear other things I need to fix like mechanical issues. They don't rumble and its even hard to get them to squeal really pushing them.

Jeagar 04-17-2018 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8 (Post 1878408)
You know, I used to be a cheap skate on tires as well, but not any more. After my dad died, I inherited a Harley. Now, I don't know if you know about motorcycles, but here is the gist of them. There is no metal cocoon protecting you from the pavement. It's just you, your skill, your safety equipment and your tires. So, I went to buy tires for the bike, I was awestruck by the price of those tires. Motorcycle tires are stupid expensive. So, I chose the cheapest tires I could find off the rack. The sales guy wasn't having it. He refused to sell me those tires. He said, son, you're young. You are putting your life on the line with those cheap Chinese tires. One bad move and your toast. Are you willing to stake your life on cheap tires? If you are, then you are not buying them from me. I can't keep my conscience clean by selling you these tires. You either invest in better tires, or you keep your bike as a living room piece of art.

You may say apples and oranges."A car will protect me". But, maybe a good tire is the difference between a pretty mint condition kitty, and a Jag that just got totaled by Progressive Insurance. To be clear, I'm not saying the tires you suggested are bad.

100% agree. Besides safety, there is also performance. The tires are the only part of your car which makes contact with the ground. It makes all the difference.

Supersprint 04-17-2018 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jeagar (Post 1878557)
100% agree. Besides safety, there is also performance. The tires are the only part of your car which makes contact with the ground. It makes all the difference.

:icon_goodpost:

Supersprint 04-17-2018 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 1878182)
These questions always come up, everybody replies with their love or hate opinions based on their experience, then the OP usually ends up buying what fits in their budget. :icon_doh:

So can we start with "how much you are willing to spend?" and maybe spare some members the frustration of taking time to provide opinions on tires that are not within your price range. :icon_shrug:

Thanks for the replies until now.
When I asked this question I honestly did not think much about tyre costs.
I mean,- If you buy an exclusive/expensive Hi-Fi system, you also want the best loud speaker don't you.
If one is willing to spend the necessary funds to own / drive / maintain and enjoy one of these cars, the difference between cheap and expensive tyres probably doesn't matter too much.

rothwell 04-17-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Supersprint (Post 1878576)
Thanks for the replies until now.
When I asked this question I honestly did not think much about tyre costs.
I mean,- If you buy an exclusive/expensive Hi-Fi system, you also want the best loud speaker don't you.
If one is willing to spend the necessary funds to own / drive / maintain and enjoy one of these cars, the difference between cheap and expensive tyres probably doesn't matter too much.

I totally agree with your spending philosophy but I think we are in the minority.

Even if cost is not a factor it still helps this thread "be all it can be" if that is stated up front. :D

Jandreu 04-17-2018 09:32 AM

Michlin Pilot Sport AS3, hands down the best tire for ride, performance and noise. I have them on both of my cars.

Jon89 04-17-2018 09:49 AM

I like the Yokohama YK580 from Discount Tire. Been running them on my wife's 2006 XK8 since October 2012 (the car is now on its second set). Great tire for the money....

BStreet 04-17-2018 10:34 AM

Tires

I agree the Michlin Pilot Sport AS3 are super quiet and grip the road.

bcprice36 04-17-2018 11:41 AM

Would someone answer my question?

Why is it that every time I pick up a NAIL, it is always in one of the Rear Tires? Also, with all that tread width back there, why does the Nail always go into the side of the Tire, where it can't be patched? I'm waiting for my new Tire, as they don't have one in stock and it has to be delivered.......This is the 3rd time the Nail found the outside edge of the tread, in the past 2 years!

Everyone blames all the Construction that is going on since "Harvey"! Can't patch it have to replace it...."Wait right here, we'll have one in a couple of hours!" It's already been 3 hours now!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

toaster 04-17-2018 12:31 PM

Sorry, i´m in doubt any all-season-tire will be quieter than a pure summer-tire.
FMO with Dunlops or Continentals you will have good performance and a quiet ride, i use both on different cars, sizes/withs from 225 till 275.

rothwell 04-17-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36 (Post 1878789)
Why is it that every time I pick up a NAIL, it is always in one of the Rear Tires? Also, with all that tread width back there, why does the Nail always go into the side of the Tire, where it can't be patched? I'm waiting for my new Tire, as they don't have one in stock and it has to be delivered.......This is the 3rd time the Nail found the outside edge of the tread, in the past 2 years!

Everyone blames all the Construction that is going on since "Harvey"! Can't patch it have to replace it...."Wait right here, we'll have one in a couple of hours!" It's already been 3 hours now!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Could it be that your are picking them up while cornering somewhat aggressively. :icon_denk:

Doubtful we can blame it on the Conti tires. :icon_mrgreen:

toaster 04-17-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36 (Post 1878789)

Billy Clyde in Houston

Jealous neighbours? :)

johns427 04-17-2018 03:39 PM

Front tire runs over the nail and "bounces" it, rear tire hits it before it lays flat on the road and instant puncture. I've never had a front tire get a puncture.

giandanielxk8 04-17-2018 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by johns427 (Post 1878910)
Front tire runs over the nail and "bounces" it, rear tire hits it before it lays flat on the road and instant puncture. I've never had a front tire get a puncture.

I have. It was 2 weeks after Maria.