Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

PDR = Paintless Dent Removal....

The following users liked this post:
Jim Reed (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Reed

One hole (all have plastic plugs) is so near the door opening halfway up the door jamb that it is quite visible. That's really what concerns me. Btw, what are PDR services? I keep thinking of more stuff to fix: left-side dash panel with instruments is loose, suggesting it was taken out at some point, both seats have nickel size rub marks that conditioner doesn't remove, and Seafrost paint is suspiciously too good, especially at the front where my earlier car had more road scratches. Thanks for the alignment and bushings ideas...I'll ask about them when I get the new tires put on.
PDR is the industry and insurance term for paint-less dent removal.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Update:

Originally Posted by Silver_Fox
My car is in storage for the winter as well. Can't really do to much to it while it's stored, the facility I am in doesn't allow mechanical work to be done on site. Regardless, here is the list for spring:

1) Tires (Most likely Pirelli PZero A/S+), - Done. Went with BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S instead
2) Timing Chains, Tensioners & Guides - Done
3) Water Pump/coolant flush - Done with the timing chains
4) Serpentine Belt, idler and tensioners - Done with the timing chains
5) Fix the third tail light and trunk button - Done
6) Replace convertible hydraulic oil and install pressure relief valve - Half done. Replaced the oil. Haven't installed the PRV yet.
7) Install handsfree bluetooth kit - Done. Best addition I made to the car after the black leather steering wheel.
8) Replace the oil cooler (rusty) - Not done. The cooler looks ok, but the mounting brackets are rusted. Hard to find, may need to fabricate them.

Lower priorities:

9) Repair Paint chips and small dents
10) Fix headlight washers
11) Replace transmission fluid = Done
12) Replace differential oil
13) Replace power steering fluid
14) Flush and replace brake fluid
15) Replace spark plugs - Done with the timing chains
16) Have driver's side leather refinished
17) Rust survey/mitigation
18) One piece chrome mesh grille

Completed:
*Rear shocks
*Front A-arm bushings (all, polyurethane)
*Driver's door window adjustment
*Oil & Filter Change
*Replaced air filter
*Cleaned MAF sensor
*Cleaned throttle body
*Supercharger oil change
*Replaced wood wheel with 100% leather
*Replaced wood trim with black 3M Dinoc covered trim
*Replaced glove compartment handle

Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Got to admit I am contemplating what to do next on my car. I have replaced just about everything that can wear out. De-rusted and rust proofed where I can. Seriously I am wondering what I can do next. I do NOT want to modify, I prefer factory. Though I must confess to four 'mods' three out of the four are not easy to spot. Have a read https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=75123 if you can think of any further things I can do let me know.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

My plan over the coming winter is to have a go at the 15 year old suspension. I had a rear wheel bearing fail this summer ( not bad for 200,000 km ) I plan on replacing the remaining wheel bearing front and rear. Shock mounts and bushings front and rear and assorted other "rubber mounted" items.

I am actually thinking of dropping the entire rear end because the pinion seal is starting to get 'damp'. If I do that I can replace u joints etc relatively easily. It does not look like a HUGE job to drop the rear subframe but my concern is that ,without a ramp, I may not be able to raise the car high enough to drop it down and slide it out underneath

Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
My plan over the coming winter is to have a go at the 15 year old suspension. I had a rear wheel bearing fail this summer ( not bad for 200,000 km ) I plan on replacing the remaining wheel bearing front and rear. Shock mounts and bushings front and rear and assorted other "rubber mounted" items.

I am actually thinking of dropping the entire rear end because the pinion seal is starting to get 'damp'. If I do that I can replace u joints etc relatively easily. It does not look like a HUGE job to drop the rear subframe but my concern is that ,without a ramp, I may not be able to raise the car high enough to drop it down and slide it out underneath
i have dropped entire subframes using one of these. one can get creative and mount it on some 2x12 boards with ramps at the ends to get even more height when lifted.

www.quickjack.com/

this is a good investment for a home mechanic.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

After spending several days and a lot of sweat over the engine to correct some coolant leaks. I just want to drive it!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My future to do list

I just purchased a 2000 xkr convertible. It's in great shape but has a few issues I'd like to take care of. One thing I noticed was just how hard it is to find parts. The car is only 18 ears old but many items aren't available from the searches I've done. Well, this is my short list. Many of these I can do myself. Car is stored for the winter.

1) timing chain and tentioner
2) transmission filter and oil change
3) rear end oil change
4) repair side view mirror control switches
5) replace driver side brake light assembly
6) get remote key flobs working again
7) repair and paint cracked licences plate light housing
8) replace A/C decal on climate control unit.
9) repair covers for visor mirrors.

I welcome any suggestions or comments