XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Smoke with video

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts
Default White Smoke with video

Hi Lads, following the previous post, I replaced the MAF and apparently I'm not getting the codes anymore (System lean bank 1 and 2).

But white smoke continues, here's a video with the white smoke https://we.tl/aGpBcw3yZ2.

Another odd thing is a whistle from the engine, see the image (the image is not from my car, just took one from the internet, so it could be from a car from one of you, sorry for that :-) ). What could it be? My mechanic insists in doing the valves and the head surface (sorry for my non technical language, but I know you will understand) but my doubt is, why is it not burning oil? It burns white, it doesn't smell and it's only once after hours of not using it. Then no problem. When the car is in use it doesn't smoke at all...weird right?

Old 02-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

White smoke is usually coolant being burned. If it is only doing it once at cold startup I don't think I'd worry about it. If it is happening more it could be the head gasket, head or block cracked... something that would let coolant into the combustion chamber.

The following users liked this post:
SirJohn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

coolant loss through head gasket or crack . Limit runs as this ruins O2 sensors as well as low coolant level and not catching excessive head temps .

SirJohn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
coolant loss through head gasket or crack . Limit runs as this ruins O2 sensors as well as low coolant level and not catching excessive head temps .
Shouldn’t be the repository with lower coolant in that case? My coolant repository is full...

Old 02-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Doesn't have to be alot as yours is intermentant depending on head temperature .

SirJohn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

A by proiduct of combustion in and efficient catalytic convertor is water. It accumulates in the exhaust and burns off as white smoke after start up. If the smoke were to continue while running a warm engine then you might have a water leak but if it is after start up it is normal.
The whistling you are hearing is at some point with enough drive cycles is going to bring back your LEAN condition. The part in your photo is the part load breather tube and vents the crankcase to the base of the throttle body and the evap canister. There is an O-Ring seal in the end of the tube. I would recommend being gentle with it but remove it and change the O-Ring. To replace the part load breather tube requires removing the intake manifold. You need a special tool that should be stored somewhere on a similar line to release the fitting. I have attached a picture and a part number. The line is plastic and gets quite brittle from heat. While you have the fitting off, if you look into the cam cover you will find a small hole. That orifice gets plugged with debris. Use a thin piece of wire and clean the opening. You can remove the O-Ring and match it up at the auto parts store.

Attached Thumbnails White Smoke with video-tubing-release-tool.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
tubing release tool.doc (31.5 KB, 89 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
Lady Penelope (02-11-2018), SirJohn (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
A by proiduct of combustion in and efficient catalytic convertor is water. It accumulates in the exhaust and burns off as white smoke after start up. If the smoke were to continue while running a warm engine then you might have a water leak but if it is after start up it is normal.
The whistling you are hearing is at some point with enough drive cycles is going to bring back your LEAN condition. The part in your photo is the part load breather tube and vents the crankcase to the base of the throttle body and the evap canister. There is an O-Ring seal in the end of the tube. I would recommend being gentle with it but remove it and change the O-Ring. To replace the part load breather tube requires removing the intake manifold. You need a special tool that should be stored somewhere on a similar line to release the fitting. I have attached a picture and a part number. The line is plastic and gets quite brittle from heat. While you have the fitting off, if you look into the cam cover you will find a small hole. That orifice gets plugged with debris. Use a thin piece of wire and clean the opening. You can remove the O-Ring and match it up at the auto parts store.
Thanks a lot for your comment. It's just after startup but for sure is not normal. Have you seen the video? Do you think it could be the o-ring?
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Red face That's a Smoking Machine! Embarrassing isn't it?

Sir John,

That appears to be stopped up Breather Filters in the top of your Cam Covers! You need to remove the Covers and replace those Filters with new ones. When I bought Sweet Sugar the previous Owner had not changed the Oil in the last 30,000 miles or so! The Drain Holes in the Heads and the Breather Filters were soaked and stopped-up with Gunk! I had to rebuild the entire Engine due to his carelessness!

Every time She sat for a few minutes and I started her up...She would put-out a garage full of smoke....Pure White Smoke just like the video.....Also, as you drove down the street and hit it to pass or something....smoke would blow out so bad you couldn't see behind you!!!!

Hope I've solved the mystery but I also hope it doesn't cost you as much as I had to pay!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Chris77 (10-08-2021)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Finally got the video to download. BCPrice36 is might be correct. Before I would go pulling the cam covers i would get the 2 vacuum leaks fixed. You may be allowing pooling of the vented material since you can't reach full vacuum with the leaks.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Speaking in general, another source of "water" is the supercharger intercoolers. You might want to check the level for confirmation. I have an XK8, so I cannot help with any specifics. My understanding is that there is a separate radiator and a separate water pump near the air box to implement this water-to-air cooling. I suppose it is not impossible for that cooling water to somehow find its way into the intake after the engine is off and everything in the engine compartments is subject to heat soak. Just a thought, I have no memory of anybody posting about cracked water jackets, or anything like that, but it is worth checking, especially is the main engine coolant stays at the max level.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Just a little smoke at Start-up!

Sir John,

I've re-read your Post....The Video looks exactly like Sweet Sugar's Start-up 4 years ago.....but as I said, She would also Smoke if I hit it on the Road and now I see that you say It only smokes at start-up......? Also, Sweet Sugar used about a quart of Oil every 200 miles.....If the XKR is not using Oil and you have changed you Oil regularly......It's probably not the Filters!

So, I probably reacted to the Video before I should have.......as Avern1 suggested....Don't pull the Cam Covers yet! I had gotten so accustom to seeing all that White Smoke, I may have over-reacted! It looks identical but if it doesn't smoke on acceleration.......and it doesn't use Oil.....It's probably not the Filters! Does the Smoke smell like Oil? If it does, then it's the Filters, if not, sorry I entered the Thread,,,

Fmertz's idea about the Supercharger Intercoolers would be my next thought as both of them have little radiators inside that the coolant runs through.....a few drops could be collecting or pooling and at Start-up is sucked-up into the initial intake burning it. The charge would not smell as there would be so little ......The way to check this would be by watching the water level each morning and if it is going down a little each day...It's probably an Intercooler leak. If you take them off, take them to a Radiator repair shop.....They can put them through a pressure test just like a Radiator and if you see bubbles, you will need to buy a new Intercooler as you can't get inside to repair the Radiator....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 02-12-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added a thought.......
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I am pretty certain that the SC cooling system on your car is connected to the main coolant system. It is on my car.

Both systems are filled by topping up the coolant reservoir and yes there is a separate pump for the SC coolant system.

First thing to happen usually when you lose coolant is that the heating system stops pushing out heat as well as the reservoir level dropping.

SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

I've played your video a number of times on my 20" monitor and I think the start up smoke has a blue tint to it, not pure white as with water, and hangs around a bit---does not dissipate rapidly like condensation smoke does.

I suspect you have a slight oil leak or seep somewhere. I say somewhere, because it would take up to much space to suggest where, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Fix your air leak and just monitor it. IMHO

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 02-12-2018 at 12:45 PM.
SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Sir John,

I've re-read your Post....The Video looks exactly like Sweet Sugar's Start-up 4 years ago.....but as I said, She would also Smoke if I hit it on the Road and now I see that you say It only smokes at start-up......? Also, Sweet Sugar used about a quart of Oil every 200 miles.....If the XKR is not using Oil and you have changed you Oil regularly......It's probably not the Filters!

So, I probably reacted to the Video before I should have.......as Avern1 suggested....Don't pull the Cam Covers yet! I had gotten so accustom to seeing all that White Smoke, I may have over-reacted! It looks identical but if it doesn't smoke on acceleration.......and it doesn't use Oil.....It's probably not the Filters! Does the Smoke smell like Oil? If it does, then it's the Filters, if not, sorry I entered the Thread,,,

Fmertz's idea about the Supercharger Intercoolers would be my next thought as both of them have little radiators inside that the coolant runs through.....a few drops could be collecting or pooling and at Start-up is sucked-up into the initial intake burning it. The charge would not smell as there would be so little ......The way to check this would be by watching the water level each morning and if it is going down a little each day...It's probably an Intercooler leak. If you take them off, take them to a Radiator repair shop.....They can put them through a pressure test just like a Radiator and if you see bubbles, you will need to buy a new Intercooler as you can't get inside to repair the Radiator....

Billy Clyde in Houston
Thanks so much for your explanation! Yes, it's only on startup. The car was working amazingly good since I bought it and after a full services (Oil change, filters, and two oil hoses) I've got this. So at the beginning I thought it could be related to that or to a pressure wash, so I kept using it for days and the smoke is not slowing down. It's the very same smoke, only with the first blow. It's dense, it doesn't smells oil at all.
Do you know if oil (mobile full synthetic 3w 30) can generate white smoke?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
I've played your video a number of times on my 20" monitor and I think the start up smoke has a blue tint to it, not pure white as with water, and hangs around a bit---does not dissipate rapidly like condensation smoke does.

I suspect you have a slight oil leak or seep somewhere. I say somewhere, because it would take up to much space to suggest where, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Fix your air leak and just monitor it. IMHO

Chuck
My doubt is why is smoking oil only on startup? is that possible? I'll send another video with the car working after the smoke. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM

Thanks you all for taking the time to help me identifying the problem. At this point, as a non expert, I've got to say that I'm feeling a little confused. I'd like to fix the car, but I don't know what should I fix.
The normal reaction would be taking it to the dealer, but that didn't worked in the past and not sure if it will work in the future.

This is my situation now:
1. Wife asking me to buy a brand new car (she really don't care anything about the car, whether I keep it or sell it, but using uber while I have a jaguar brick in my garage is not something that she fully understands).

2. I don't want to sell the car. I never liked cars, this is the first car I like, because I like art, not because I like cars. So a new car is not a solution.

3. The car is working good, but can't use it like it is. It smokes so bad that people believe I'm trying to kill them. It looks like one of James Bond's Jag tricks...

4. Mechanic suggest to re do the head (new valves, 0-rings, gasket). This work will leave me without car for two weeks and my main concern is, what if after that the car keep smoking?

Tomorrow I'm taking the car to the mechanic, I hope he can find the source of the problem.

Thanks in advanced lads, you rock!

J.A.G. (01-21-2022)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

An immediate test would be to pull the dip stick and look for evidence of coolant in the oil.

Next step is probably to pull the all plugs and check if any one looks, literally, steam cleaned. If so, it is likely the head gasket letting coolant in in that cylinder. If a bore camera is available, that combustion chamber should also look like nice clean shiny metal (no carbon deposits). This test should let you know before committing to a big repair bill (which your mechanic should have told you about!).

It happened to me once on an older car. I was suspecting it for a while, but restarting the engine after a short stop gave me that big while cloud of smoke once. Head gasket had to be replaced. FWIW, this predicament is not risk-free. There can be enough water leaking in the combustion chamber to fill it, and cause major damage if the starter is activated as water is basically incompressible (hydro-lock).

From memory, the EGR valve also has a supply of coolant. I have never heard of this, but it is conceivable a failed valve could leak coolant in the intake. The valve is around the throttle body, so again much cheaper to replace than a head gasket.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Just my thoughts.
Oil leaking past a valve stem seal maybe, sitting on the crown and burning off on start-up, you should be able to tell by the condition of the spark plugs which cylinder is the culprit if indeed it is leaking there.
Maybe a coolant system pressure test just to rule out any possible leaks into the cylinders, plugs out and a bore scope to see if any water is lying on the pistons.
If you think it may be oil, you could try a bottle of Wynns Stop Smoke added to your oil and see if it reduces the amount of smoke at start-up.

SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Mechanic Job Description: Independent: To work on peoples cars and make enough money to run shop and take care of family.
Dealer Mechanic: To work on customers cars and make money for the dealer. Get paid less then half of what dealer receives, then try to take care of a family.

Either way, a mechanic is in the business to make money, not to save the customer money. Most are honest and tell the customer what's really wrong, then give the customers a choice of to proceed or not. Most dealers are not honest and control what the mechanic can say to the customer. Customer beware.

If there are mechanics out there, my opinion is based on experience and fact, and past comments by past customer comments. Not meant to offend anyone.

Cheers

SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Let's go back in time.....

Sir John,

We've got to get this XKR running properly or Momma is going to Beat us both up! I know, as I went through the same thing 4 years ago......
#1 questions are did you just buy the car? and was it smoking when you bought it? Next you say that it smokes only once a day and that is at Start-up.
You also say it is not using Oil. Does the smoke smell like Oil? If the answer to these questions are NO! Then, you don't need a valve job, you don't need Rings.......That's when we go back to "Water" is the water low in the Morning? I mean is the car using Water? If so, that would be the source! Now, you've got to find where it is leaking....You were given an idea this morning with the Intercoolers....but that's only one idea as there are many more when it comes
to water!
So!!!! let's start ruling out Oil....Run down the list for Oil....1st if it doesn't smell like Oil....It Isn't! Pretty simple!!! Now move-on.....What else could it be? Something you are someone poured in the Gasoline?

If it's water, it will be getting lower each day! If it's Oil, it will be get lower each day......The Tail-Pipes appear to be pretty smutty around the edges.... Just for fun, replace the EGR value over on the Right Cam/Valve Cover....I don't think that will help but is as good a theory as doing a Valve job would be......If it's the Valves or guides leaking or the seals, it would smoke every time you stopped for a Stop Light.....

Start by checking the Water and Oil each day to determine if one or the other is getting lower....that is the quickest way to know.....

Billy Clyde

SirJohn (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: White Smoke with video