XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Smoke with video

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

In my opinion that is oil smoke not condensation.
Condensation dissipates quickly that stuff is hanging around,

The following users liked this post:
SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

"If it's the Valves or guides leaking or the seals, it would smoke every time you stopped for a Stop Light....."

Actually, no it wouldn't.
The valve stem seals don't need to be completely shot for it to smoke oil on start-up only. The OP says it only smokes on start-up, then clears.
That indicates that the culprit only shows it face After it has been standing for a a few hours. It only takes one leaky stem seal to allow oil past it to sit on the piston and smoke on start-up.
Admittedly, with the amount of smoke that came out of that exhaust on the video, I am highly suspect that more than one valve seal has gone, but without having the car in front of and seeing/smelling it for myself, it is only my best guesstimate.

The following 2 users liked this post by stevep10:
J.A.G. (01-21-2022), SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question This is it from me!

Sir John,

There is an unknown here somewhere? You said the Car was fine until you had the Oil and Filter changed and then you mentioned replacing a couple of Oil Hoses! What were those Oil Hoses and where did they go to? When you had them replaced, what reason did they give you......Also, where were the Hoses?
This would be nice to know......? And, for your information I am not an Auto Mechanic. I' just an XKR Owner living with my 4th Coupe....

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
J.A.G. (01-21-2022), SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I keep following this thread and I'm beginning to wonder why. There is smoke or vapor, but unless your nose is not functioning, the source should be discernible. Coolant smells sweet, or maybe like rolls baking, very different from oil. I have condensate vaporizing after startup on cold humid mornings, but it's not like the dense clouds described. Diagnosis is often very dependent on careful observation.

SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

From your first thread (my emphasis):
Originally Posted by SirJohn
hi lads, after taking the jag to a regular mantainance service (oil change, oil filter, two oil hoses replaced and engine wash) the car began smoking white, very dense white smoke
I'll defer to the greater wisdom of those more experienced on the possible causes, but I'm also somewhat confused as this thread progresses. Burnt oil and burnt coolant smell very different, as RJ says.

I'm with Billy on this though at the moment. When something suddenly starts to happen after something else has been done, I'd be revisiting the something else first.

SirJohn (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Sir John,

We've got to get this XKR running properly or Momma is going to Beat us both up! I know, as I went through the same thing 4 years ago......
#1 questions are did you just buy the car? and was it smoking when you bought it? Next you say that it smokes only once a day and that is at Start-up.
You also say it is not using Oil. Does the smoke smell like Oil? If the answer to these questions are NO! Then, you don't need a valve job, you don't need Rings.......That's when we go back to "Water" is the water low in the Morning? I mean is the car using Water? If so, that would be the source! Now, you've got to find where it is leaking....You were given an idea this morning with the Intercoolers....but that's only one idea as there are many more when it comes
to water!
So!!!! let's start ruling out Oil....Run down the list for Oil....1st if it doesn't smell like Oil....It Isn't! Pretty simple!!! Now move-on.....What else could it be? Something you are someone poured in the Gasoline?

If it's water, it will be getting lower each day! If it's Oil, it will be get lower each day......The Tail-Pipes appear to be pretty smutty around the edges.... Just for fun, replace the EGR value over on the Right Cam/Valve Cover....I don't think that will help but is as good a theory as doing a Valve job would be......If it's the Valves or guides leaking or the seals, it would smoke every time you stopped for a Stop Light.....

Start by checking the Water and Oil each day to determine if one or the other is getting lower....that is the quickest way to know.....

Billy Clyde
1. I've bough the car almost two years ago. Never smoked or required oil besides the oil changes (mobile 5w 30 full synthetic). I checked the oil and coolant and level was ok. But it is also true that I haven't driven it so much after the oil change, which was the moment it begin with the smoking bad habit :-). Probably using it more could be a way to see what's smoking right? I agree, it can't be burning nothing, it has to be one or the other. That makes completely sense to me.

2. The smoke doesn't smell oil. I'm allergic and I identify smoked oil right the way. It actually smells good, like a brand new car (I know it makes no sense). For sure is not oil, or it is an oil that doesn't smell like oil. Is it possible that mobile 5w 30 full synthetic doesn't smells like oil when it burns?

3. Pipes are like that (smutty) since I've bough it, actually I was looking to replace the tips by the OEM and had no luck on finding them.

4. For sure is not smoking all the time, will try to shoot another video tomorrow of the car running.

It's a great idea checking the oil and coolant every day.

Thanks a lot, really appreciated!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Robman25
In my opinion that is oil smoke not condensation.
Condensation dissipates quickly that stuff is hanging around,
That sounds definitely possible, do you know if the mobile full synthetic 5w30 can burn differently than other oil? That can explains a lot...thanks!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by stevep10
"If it's the Valves or guides leaking or the seals, it would smoke every time you stopped for a Stop Light....."

Actually, no it wouldn't.
The valve stem seals don't need to be completely shot for it to smoke oil on start-up only. The OP says it only smokes on start-up, then clears.
That indicates that the culprit only shows it face After it has been standing for a a few hours. It only takes one leaky stem seal to allow oil past it to sit on the piston and smoke on start-up.
Admittedly, with the amount of smoke that came out of that exhaust on the video, I am highly suspect that more than one valve seal has gone, but without having the car in front of and seeing/smelling it for myself, it is only my best guesstimate.
Hi Steve, it doesn't smoke like oil for sure, that's why my mechanic is quite confused too. It's to dense to be vapor but it doesn't smells or look like oil neither... thanks for your comment!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Sir John,

There is an unknown here somewhere? You said the Car was fine until you had the Oil and Filter changed and then you mentioned replacing a couple of Oil Hoses! What were those Oil Hoses and where did they go to? When you had them replaced, what reason did they give you......Also, where were the Hoses?
This would be nice to know......? And, for your information I am not an Auto Mechanic. I' just an XKR Owner living with my 4th Coupe....

Billy Clyde in Houston
Hi Billy, yes, the mechanic found two hoses that even when they were not leaking he preferred to replace since they were in bad shape. There are the hoses that goes from the engine to each side of the radiator (I think to the lower radiator, I have no idea why it has a second one). It was like $220 both oem hoses. Thanks again Billy!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
From your first thread (my emphasis):

I'll defer to the greater wisdom of those more experienced on the possible causes, but I'm also somewhat confused as this thread progresses. Burnt oil and burnt coolant smell very different, as RJ says.

I'm with Billy on this though at the moment. When something suddenly starts to happen after something else has been done, I'd be revisiting the something else first.
Do you think it might be any relationship between the two hoses (that go from the engine each side of the radiator) and the white smoke? That was my first thought but the mechanic says there's no relationship since in his opinion this is coolant and not oil. His idea is that it might be a leaking of coolant inside the cylinders after turning the car off.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

[/QUOTE]

Lads, the car is in the mechanic now. The problem is related to the whistle I told you. If you open the oil cap, instead of blowing out air (something expected when there's a problem with the piston rings) it suck up air like hell, at the point that you have to use some strength in order to take the cap out. So what the mechanic says is that such pressure can be sucking either oil or coolant to the combustion area.

Without the oil cap in place, the car doesn't smoke...

What can be generating such pressure in that area? It sucks air from the valve area and push it back in the direction shown in the picture above...

Help lads, this is getting weird!

Last edited by SirJohn; 02-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Unrelated, sort of. A member of a forum lost his oil filler cap. So he thought he would play it safe and block the hole with a sock.
Need I say more?

I know the CATS produce water as a byproduct but could water be getting into the exhaust system somehow and end up being evaporated as steam/smoke?

SirJohn (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

To have that much vacuum on a SC engine I'd have to say the SC is not only not working, but is not allowing air to pass.

SirJohn (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
To have that much vacuum on a SC engine I'd have to say the SC is not only not working, but is not allowing air to pass.
Called the mechanic, he told me that the SC it is working. He is clueless at this point and suggested me to take the car to Warren Henry Jaguar in Miami. Do you know them?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

I think the consensus among forum members is that the dealers are not a good resource. Perhaps a member in your area can recommend a qualified independent.

SirJohn (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

^^ Agreed. Find a local trusted indie shop that knows these cars....

SirJohn (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

You always try to operate an engine under vacuum. This way, you tend to minimize the pumping losses that result from moving air around under the pistons, etc. Second, any exhaust gas making it passed the rings has to be somehow handled and passed through the catalysts for emission control purposes. It is done my connecting the intake "vacuum" to the block/head at the PCV valve. I am not convinced what you are describing here is part of the larger problem.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Curious as to what the 'engine wash' was that you refer to in your first thread - after which this all apparently started?

Old 02-14-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
You always try to operate an engine under vacuum. This way, you tend to minimize the pumping losses that result from moving air around under the pistons, etc. Second, any exhaust gas making it passed the rings has to be somehow handled and passed through the catalysts for emission control purposes. It is done my connecting the intake "vacuum" to the block/head at the PCV valve. I am not convinced what you are describing here is part of the larger problem.
Thanks! Question: your car is sucking air through the oil cap at the point of generating some important pressure to it?

I'm taking my car to a mechanic that work with british cars. I'll ask him if he has experience particularly with these cars...

It's kind of an odd situation. I want to repair the car, whether is the head, the engine, but nobody can't tell me what the problem is. Why these cars have 1000 sensors if they can't tell you what's the problem with the car!

Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Sensors are only a guide. They cannot catch and identify every specific issue that can go wrong with a vehicle. And, they are sometimes clueless just like we can be....

SirJohn (02-14-2018)

Quick Reply: White Smoke with video