Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Why won't my XKR start after my Wife fills the Gas Tank? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/why-wont-my-xkr-start-after-my-wife-fills-gas-tank-214573/)

bcprice36 03-02-2019 10:47 PM

Why won't my XKR start after my Wife fills the Gas Tank?

For the past several weeks, after my Wife fills the Gas Tank and drives it Home and after the XKR sits for a while...It wont' start and if it does start, it will run until it comes off into Idle and then goes through a period of choking until it dies! I have to wait an hour or so for it to crank again and usually it will continue to run after this second starting and then after I drive it several miles and the Gas level has come down some. It runs OK until the next time She fills it up!. I have ask her to stop the Pump prior to It cutting off automatically and she says she has done that...But She did it again Today and the same thing occurred....I called a Mechanic and he said it was probably the Vapor Canister.....Apparently,the XKR has a charcoal filter that needs to be replaced......Anyone know anything about this? Anyone know where it is? and what does it do other than filter?

HELP! me...………….

Billy Clyde

DavidYau 03-02-2019 11:01 PM

EVAP system

I'm not sure on your 2005 XKR, but in 1999 Jaguar XK8 the EVAP is located in front left wheel well, behind the liner towards the rear.
Simply put the charcoal canister stores fuel vapour until the engine is warm and then a valve releases it. It's unlikely the charcoal is at fault, most probably the valve. If you have a problem, you should have a strong smell of fuel at the canister.
Check out sam1174 EVAP youtube video

bcprice36 03-03-2019 12:43 AM

Thanks David,

I've seen this Video before but didn't understand the reason for the Purge Value....Now that I have the Problem I will switch-out the Parts needed and will let everyone know what happens...………...Thanks a lot!

Billy Clyde

stu46h 03-03-2019 04:09 PM

At first I was confused, as it doesn't matter who is driving the car when filling up because you don't leave the driver's seat and the attendant pumps the gas, but then I remembered that outside of New Jersey people actually pump their own gas.

bcprice36 03-03-2019 04:55 PM

Stu46h,

Yes Stu! I remember those days...I had my Wife trained but it looks like the Purge Valve or something has ruined a good thing for me! She has told me that she would no longer be driving my old Car...……….So, there!

Guess I had better get it fixed...…

Billy Clyde.

DavidYau 03-03-2019 08:36 PM

Wife no longer drives the big Cat

Well I would consider it a good thing if my wife decided to not drive my XK8.

bcprice36 03-04-2019 09:41 PM

David and others!
I spent most of the day trying to find a new Canister Purge Valve, forget about it! "There aint no more" my Friend! I finally found a used one on eBay for about 80 Bucks and I hope it works! Still looking for a new one, so if anyone comes up with a new one, please let me know where!

Sure do hope this Used one is OK as the valve that's coming out has been bad for a long time.....I surely did have an awful Saturday because of it...Saturday here in Houston it was about 80 or so and I had to wait until about 10PM for it to cool down enough to let me crank it,,,,,,

Billy Clyde

stu46h 03-04-2019 09:53 PM

I've owned my XK8 since the summer of 2005 and my brother drove it once when I first got it. That's the only time any else has driven it. So far that has worked quite well.
Why mess with success?

zray 03-04-2019 09:53 PM

first question: does the no start happen when YOU are the one filling the gas tank

and

secondly, why are you making the wife fill the tank ?

Z.

bcprice36 03-04-2019 10:29 PM

My Wife!

Originally Posted by zray (Post 2035460)
first question: does the no start happen when YOU are the one filling the gas tank

and

secondly, why are you making the wife fill the tank ?

Z.

Mr. Z.....& Stu46h...…

First of all, I didn't make her fill the Tank...She does it while I'm still asleep on Saturday mornings...That's her thing.....then She goes to the Spray Wash and hoses it down and cleans it all up before She brings it Home all shinny and ready to go! I can't seem to bring myself to the point of stopping her, as She does such a good job! The point is, I told her not to fill it all the way up and She forgot! I've forgiven her for her mistake, as after all She was only a 28 year old Blond when I married her!

Billy Clyde

zray 03-05-2019 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36 (Post 2035472)
Mr. Z.....& Stu46h...…

First of all, I didn't make her fill the Tank...She does it while I'm still asleep on Saturday mornings..."

you get to sleep in on Saturdays ? Now you have my complete admiration.

:

DavidYau 03-05-2019 02:00 AM

So.... Saturday mornings.... a 28 year old blonde girl gets up early, washes and cleans the car, then gasses it up..... while the man has a late lie in in bed.

Dreams do come true!

Jon89 03-05-2019 06:49 AM

Note that he said that she was 28 when he married her. Like many of us here, Billy is a senior citizen now so that was probably quite a few years ago. But if he indeed just married her recently, then by all means, more power to him....

stu46h 03-05-2019 07:47 AM

So his wife washes his car and fills it with gasoline on a Saturday morning while he sleeps. Wow. I think his post is more to brag than complain. I would do the same.
He surely doesn't live in New Jersey, where some women have bumper stickers that proudly proclaim "Jersey girls don't pump gas".

frankc 03-05-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by stu46h (Post 2034866)
At first I was confused, as it doesn't matter who is driving the car when filling up because you don't leave the driver's seat and the attendant pumps the gas, but then I remembered that outside of New Jersey people actually pump their own gas.

Don't worry about it. They obviously do not know you. I'd trust you to pump your own gas, no looking in the gas tank with a match to see if its full though! :D :icon_verzsilly:

giandanielxk8 03-05-2019 03:49 PM

Gee, I wish my sister or my girlfriend would wash my cars while I'm busy studying. That being said, I wouldn't trust them to follow the two or three bucket method and not add swirl marks to the paint. Which is why I don't ever allow it, and why I also don't ever take my cars to a car wash. I worked at one long enough to figure that most of them don't care about swirl marks as most owners are clueless and they only want a quick buck.

bcprice36 03-05-2019 07:46 PM

More about my Wife....!

Originally Posted by DavidYau (Post 2035516)
So.... Saturday mornings.... a 28 year old blonde girl gets up early, washes and cleans the car, then gasses it up..... while the man has a late lie in in bed.

Dreams do come true!

David,
I live in Texas! We do things a bit different down here at the Ranch....and yes! She takes the XKR to the Service Station almost every Saturday, fills it with Gas (which caused this problem) and then, if it's not Raining, She runs it down to the Spray-Wash and does her thing! She even vacuums the Carpets! She is a nice Girl ….and yes, Jon89, I married her several years ago and she is a little older now but she still Pumps Gas and washes Windows like the good little Ohio girl that she is...…and Jon89, yes! I am a little older than she....but she does good work and I'm thinking about keeping her!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f2d40b0bdb.jpg
She really makes sure Her Seat is clean!

Billy Clyde in Houston

DavidYau 03-06-2019 12:07 AM

I think you should keep her

Originally Posted by bcprice36 (Post 2035838)
David,
.....she does good work and I'm thinking about keeping her!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Nice to know that you're appreciative..... but of the girl or the car?

frankc 03-06-2019 05:09 AM

A girlfriend once said to me. "Its either me or the car!!". I still miss her. :D

bcprice36 03-06-2019 06:32 PM

frankc,

But just think Frank, of all the new girls that have ridden in that Car since then!
Good Choice my Friend!

Billy Clyde