Sponsored by:

Window - part worn out

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Window - part worn out

Hi Guys,

I could sure use a hand here, maybe someone here might be familiar with this or have some ideas.

Issue: Today passenger window cockeyed 1/2 way open.

Well I've been here before so I left well enough alone. Went home and took off the door skin thinking the adjustment bolt had become loose and needed repostioning / retightening.

Took a look. Just as I thought the adjustment bolt was all the way down in the channel. I'd marked it's proper postion so I could tell. Here's the strange part - the bolt was tight as ever! This was more than just that one bolt, I had to carefully lift the front edge of the window to allow it to travel.

When I lowered it, I got a surprise. The front arm of the window regulator was not attached! In fact, it was a bit bent.

This is the front arm of the regulator. It connects to the white nylon fixture (behind it in the channel) which rides (slides) in the channel at window bottom.

This is the white nylon connector. Regulator should snap into this. Does it look damaged to you?

Window components from previous post. #9 looks like white nylon connector.

I was able to straighten out the arm and insert the connector into the white nylon. I was dissapointed not to hear the loud "SNAP" as it seated. I wondered if the white nylon piece was damaged or worn (see above photo).

While I was able to find the retaining clip that secures the regulator arm in the nylon, I was unable to get leverage to clip it on to the front regulator arm/white nylon connection. To my dismay, the retaining clip fell off and out of sight.

I'll revisit the area tomorrow morning. Though I spent an hour or more looking, it has to be there somewhere. It is magnetic in case anyone faces this in the future.

Here's the problem. Even if I find the clip, I don't have high expectations it will solve the issue. Without the clip, the arm detaches as the window is raised. Window goes cockeyed when it detaches.

I have strong memories of how firmly, with a loud BANG, the regulator attaches to this nylon part (It scared the hell out of me the last time I replaced this window). Since the regulator attached so easly (and comes out during the window's travel) I am concernet I may not be able to secure the regulator arm in place with out replacing the white nylon piece.

I may be asking the world here, but let me ask: Does anyone know the part number or a potential way I could purchase these two parts? (White nylon piece; Retaining clip)

I don't remember if either of these came with the new window when I installed it a few years ago, gosh that was $300 and I certainly don't need a window right now. I can only hope there is another way to get this part.

Back when I faced that installation, Gus was kind enough to post this link, which contains a better diagram of the missing piece: http://www.mediafire.com/view/9a6t2a...ndow_Glass.pdf

I'm posting it because it is an excelent reference for someone to use.

Thanks for thinking about this question, I appreciate any thoughts comments or coaching you can share. I can't wait to get her back together and working properly.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 02-16-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: reposition text with photos
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
baddawg (02-17-2017), GGG (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Hi John,

I had a similar problem and it was solved by purchasing a used window regulator for $75 on the big auction site. Probably much easier than trying to source bits and pieces.

Cheers,

Stu

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

I recently replaced my clips, from here Jo GJA1730AD Kit Jaguar XK8 97 06 Right Window Regulator Repair Kit | eBay

Getting the forward clip back on was tricky, it was only afterwards I worked out that the clips should be on first before you try to reseat the ball.

Johnken (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

STU G and RaceDiagnostics - THANKS a Million!!!

For the record, I was able to use Racediagnostic's part number to track it down. Race's part number looks like it came from Ebay and the poster on ebay took a short cut. The part # GJ7A1730AD is for the entire window regulator assembly (motor and all). Jaguar dealer down the road wants $500 for that.

I did find the specific part # for the plastic piece and clip: GJ7A1744AA. it costs between $20 and $25.

I hope others can use this in the future.

Moderator, RaceDianostic's post may be a perfect candidate for one of our reference sections. The part number is a great reference plus the instructions. I put this window in years ago and I completely forgot the trick is to put the clip on first. Without that it is a puzzle that would give the inventor of Rubic's cube a headache!

If you agree,mr. Moderator, could you put "white nylon piece" in the title? It may help the next member to find this when they face the same thing someday down the road. This is now resolved thanks to RaceDiagnostics and Stu. I'll have the part tomorrow from local Jag dealer.

Last edited by Johnken; 02-17-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: better indexing for future
jamdmyers (02-18-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

In the spirit of sharing info for future reference, I wanted to update the situation. Got the white nylon piece from Jaguar (only $29) and installed it yesterday. Much less clearance with a new one, had to force it into the channel a bit.

Bad news, despite wherever I set the adjustment bolt, the forward arm that I just worked on, pops out of the nylon piece as the window gets 2/3 of the way up. I believe the fact that the arm bent during the incident that caused this is preventing me from getting it to work like it should. I followed RaceDiagnostics excelent advice and inserted the retaining pin before pressing the arm's ball into the nylon. It poped in, but my memory was the pop should be loud enough to scare the heck out of you.

Close examination shows the arm is not perfectly flush to the white nylon up front, like it is in the back. The arm's twist places the bottom edge closer to the car interior than the top edge. It is only a small amount but this prevents the ball from entering the hole completely. The retaining clip doesn't appear to be perfectly seated around the ball.

Now I have to decide if it is the bend in the arm (walk away) or if I need to put more pressure into attaching the arm and (hopefully) forcing the ball to seat even better. Well I have broken that window once before - never ever want to go through that again. Not sure I have the guts to use a C clamp with or without a piece of wood behind the channel to try to seat the connection even better.

I"m probably going to take off the driver door skin and compare to working window.

At this point I think I'll take the high road and just order a new regulator arms and all. It'll take a few days to get here, but hopefully that will get things back on track. I'll just have to drive her with that window up for a while.

You know how these things work, who wants to bet that this weekend set a record for warm weather up here .

What really bugs me is I never did identify what caused the failure in the first place. I've never heard of one of the vertical connectors on left or right failing, have you ? If that was binding, it could have forced the arm into failure.

Well I'll take it 1 step at a time and provide updates. Who knows, I may be "lucky" enough to discover: If the arm is bent don't even bother trying to fix it, just get another one. Well I'll keep you posted.