Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Window problem when opening door (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/window-problem-when-opening-door-87932/)

randyb 01-09-2013 05:42 PM

Window problem when opening door

My drivers side window will now sometimes drop about and inch or more when I open the door and will not go up when I close the door.

But I noticed that when it works right, the window will only drop about a half an inch and then go back up when I close the door.

Anybody seen this issue before?

test point 01-09-2013 05:54 PM

Everybody has seen this issue before . . . your battery is failing.

The window motor circuit is a large current draw, it has a 30A fuse . . . for each window. You draw something like 30A and the voltage drops below a critical 10v on a weak battery. That is the memory threshold for the electronics . . . and the window doesn't know where it is.

Have an auto parts store run a free charging system/battery test.

Wasn't it thoughtful of the Jaguar engineers to have provided us with a build in battery condition tester.

randyb 01-10-2013 11:23 AM

LOL, I have been worried about tearing apart my door to fix some unknown electrical problem and it is the battery.

Paul Pavlik 01-10-2013 12:02 PM

You could try resetting the Window Memory:

With the door closed, run the Window up to the Top and continue to hold the button for 3 more seconds.

Repeat for Window Down.

Repeat for other Window.

If this fixes the problem but only temporarily, the Battery needs replacing.

After Battery Replacement, the Windows must be Reset as above.

aardvark64 01-12-2013 10:59 AM

Thanks for the tip: my driver's side door just started doing this. Like the OP, I was worried about having to strip the door down.

The weather has turned cold and if the battery is on the point of dying, then this makes perfect sense.

Best wishes, Colin

Wuoma 01-13-2013 04:54 PM

I've had this on and off from the beginning of my ownership, but the previous owner has replaced the battery less than a year ago. I think mine might have an alternator problem (or maybe just a really bad luck with a defective battery). What would be the correct voltage I should see when the car is idling? And should I measure it from the battery or from uder the bonnet?

WhiteXKR 01-13-2013 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wuoma (Post 656077)
I've had this on and off from the beginning of my ownership, but the previous owner has replaced the battery less than a year ago. I think mine might have an alternator problem (or maybe just a really bad luck with a defective battery). What would be the correct voltage I should see when the car is idling? And should I measure it from the battery or from uder the bonnet?

Idling voltage will not tell you anything about the battery condition.

Measure the voltage with the IGNITION OFF, AT THE BATTERY after the car has been off overnight (at least 8 hours). If it is under approx. 12.4 volts the battery is questionable.

Alterternatively, in the US, take it to Advance Auto or Autozone for a load test.

Wuoma 01-14-2013 04:08 AM

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't going to see about the condition of the battery with the measurement, but whether the alternator is generating the right amount of voltage to charge it properly.

steveinfrance 01-14-2013 04:12 AM

If the alternator's working you should see at least 14V

randyb 01-22-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik (Post 653967)
You could try resetting the Window Memory:

With the door closed, run the Window up to the Top and continue to hold the button for 3 more seconds.

Repeat for Window Down.

Repeat for other Window.

If this fixes the problem but only temporarily, the Battery needs replacing.

After Battery Replacement, the Windows must be Reset as above.

Tried this after replacing battery and charging it overnight and it is still dropping when I open the door from the outside, in fact I brought the window all the way down by just continuously lifting the handle.

JajJohn 01-22-2013 04:51 PM

Paul's method works but I've found for me I need to have the car running. I lower the window 1st then raise it and count to 30 while holding the button down. Then lower it and count to 30 while holding the button down. I'll then raise it and open the door to check it and repeat if necessary. Then I'll do the passenger door. I hope this may help you.