Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Is it worth buying an X100 over X150? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/worth-buying-x100-over-x150-217155/)

sjay 04-30-2019 07:50 PM

Is it worth buying an X100 over X150?

Hi All,

New member, just posted in the intro forum as well. I was looking to pick up a 2000-2002 XKR Cab for some summer fun. My family has had a bad experience with an 03 S-type V8, which developed a knock (I understand that the XK is the same motor), but im looking to spend 10-15k and I find XKR's available in that price range. Other cars I was considering were the Merc SL, CLK, BMW 335i, Audi S5 (albeit a totally different cars).

My research into the forum here (which is awesome and detailed) reveals that in addition to worn suspension and typical wear and tear parts on a car thats 15+ Years old, the XK has chain tensioner issues and poor quality roof hydraulic hoses both of which are necessary repairs. Locally I am finding 2001-2003 XKR cabriolets with 60k miles (100k Kilometers +/-) for about $10-15k. All cars I have found have changed hands a few times and owners cannot confirm whether any major repairs were undertaken. Most of the times, the owners say the car runs like new and has been well cared for- never needed repairs!

At the same time, I can find X150 Cabriolet's (not R variants) for about $23-25k. These cars seem to be less problematic.

In considering the cost of repairs for the must-do's in addition to the wear and tear (suspension, etc.), age, car features, newer body style, newer technology that is in the X150 is it really worth purchasing an X100? most X100's i am considering at the moment are 17-19 years old. Although I love the styling and find most are well cared for, I would hate to have a summer car that is constantly needing repairs.

Just curious on your thoughts...

volkris 04-30-2019 09:31 PM

One quick thought is that if you want to be able to use the car right now, then perhaps you'd be better with the newer model.

It's plenty likely that you'll get an older car without any critical problems, but until you've owned and driven it for a while, it's hard to feel confident in that.

Barry_Tucker 04-30-2019 09:54 PM

If you get 2002 - 2005 X100 you will not have to deal with chain tensioner issues as the later 4.2 L cars had this all sorted out. In fact the engine is the same 4.2 L as used in early X150s. The roof latch hoses may need to be replaced but it's not as big a problem in Canada as it is in the southern US. Any car over 10 years old may have worn suspension parts.

I personally chose the X100 because I did not want an aluminium bodied car in our climate. :)

I drive mine a LOT in the summer. Last year I went from St John's , through Nova Scotia, NB and New England , then as far west as Fort Wayne Indiana , then back through Fort Erie , Toronto, Peterborough , Quebec City and home to St. John's. ZERO problems, no oil or coolant consumption. Just a great drive. Best GT car I have ever driven.

DavidYau 04-30-2019 09:54 PM

Summer car wanted

Considering your “wish list” there isn’t really a good comparison with the X150. Later cars should always be “better” with more modern tech. You just pay more for it. If reliability is your wish then be prepared to inspect and fix more on X100.

You are right on the X100’s weaknesses, but they are fixable so if you go down this route, deduct the repair cost from the asking price. Car history is important on this car. I wouldn’t just accept seller saying this car runs great.

A lot of Forum members have done the repairs DIY, relatively inexpensively. but if you do it at a garage, the costs will quickly add up. You’ll need a thick wallet to own this car, if you don’t do the maintenance work yourself. Some parts costs will initially make you look twice, but some Ford standard parts fit.

I’m a wierd case, in that I deliberately sold my Porsche, as it was too reliable and no fun in the garage. I bought the first Gen 1999 XK8 so I could work on it. It’s fair to say that this Forum has seen and fixed anything that goes wrong with the X100. Mine is a daily driver that hasn’t let me down, albeit, it needed TLC on the transmission ATF change. I’m in a desert climate so the cooling system is another constant check item for me.

Someone else recently asked for a comparison of the X150 and X100. Check out that thread.

Notwithstanding the state of your purchase, these Jaguars are fun, powerful, Grand tourers and a real head turner. Exactly what you want from a summer car.

John Nevets 04-30-2019 11:30 PM

I know it’s not always rational what we like and dislike, and personal experience does way in on these things. But from everything I’ve read, and the little bit I’ve experienced the 4.2 that you are trying to avoid is considered a bit more reliable then the 4.0 that you are looking for. Granted a large part of that is the tensioners. But even so, it’s my understanding that Jag learned a lot from the 4.0, and made the 4.2 better for it. In fact I’ve even heard people mention that they consider the 4.2 more reliable then the 5.0 that replaced it in 2010. If you are still considering a Jaguar after a bad experience, I’d maybe reconsider including 4.2 models in your search. But everyone is different, and only you can determine if that is something you want to do or not.

christ 05-01-2019 02:42 AM

The X100 is prettier.

CorStevens 05-01-2019 06:13 AM

after you consider everything that the previous posters said it is also worthwhile to consider that these are very different cars in terms of feel. the x150 is very nice and very modern, probably as close to perfect as one can get in the type of body style. it has hands down one of the best automatic transmissions that i have ever driven. it is very well made. the x100 is like taking the best of a sixties car (build style, solidity or lack of and balance) and giving it a modern suspension, engine and electrics. the best way to describe it is when high end customizers take a GT or other well known classic and upgrade it with a lot of well though out engineering. the car still has the looks, structural feel, rigidity, strengths and weaknesses with a modern car usability and enhancements. with the x100 this is already performed by a major manufacturer with an engineering budget. having driven some high end resto-mods and custom builds one can see the parallels. some even go as far as to prefer the slightly older x100s for the 4.0. this is a taste thing. this discussion is about what you want and are willing to pay for it. the x100 can be brought to close to daily driver reliability, however even the best car get old. some items are simply wear items that need to be addressed and will reveal themselves or haunt you while you are using the car initially. it sometimes gets to pay now or pay later.

Jon89 05-01-2019 06:25 AM

As has already been pointed out, just be sure you can DIY the majority of your ongoing maintenance and repairs. If you must pay a shop to work on your car for you, your checking account can be drained in a flash. I DIY as much as possible and I also keep a rolling $2,500 to $3,000 in a money market account that is earmarked exclusively for auto maintenance and repairs across our four vehicles. During our 7+ years of ownership, my wife's 2006 XK8 has tapped those funds more than the other three vehicles combined....

GGG 05-01-2019 08:11 AM

I've had 2 XK8's (2001 and 2005) and 2 XK's (2007 and 2014) since going back to two door Jaguar models. To pick a "favourite" or "best" doesn't apply as I enjoyed each of them as daily drivers on average over a four year period.

As regards condition, I'm a very careful buyer so all four were a similar level of maintenance and condition. In terms of reliabilty, the 2005 XK8 and the 2007 XK far exceeded the earlier XK8 and my later current XK. I think the advice "later the better" applies to the X100 but not to the X150 as reliability took a bit of a dive with the introduction of the 5.0 litre.

Your personal model preference will be a major factor and maintenance history becomes even more critical as the vehicles age. I will say the X100 is more of a DIY vehicle than the X150. Electronics went to another level on the X150 and it requires more understanding of diagnostics to troubleshoot issues.

Graham

80sRule 05-01-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHat (Post 2063546)
The x100 is like taking the best of a sixties car (build style, solidity or lack of and balance) and giving it a modern suspension, engine and electrics. the best way to describe it is when high end customizers take a GT or other well known classic and upgrade it with a lot of well though out engineering.

I've said this quite a few times, this is absolutely the way the way the car is. It feels like a resto modded car. If you buy a 4.2 car, of either generation, you are getting a quite reliable car. Drive both. I have owned my 00 XKR for 9 years and my 07 XKR for 1; they are so different that I enjoy both for different reasons. You really have to drive both.

OA5599 05-01-2019 12:39 PM

Hold out for the X100 or X150 with a known history, complete with detailed repair and maintenance records. It may take more time and cash upfront, but knowing what work has been done on these cars is critical in the long run.

sjay 05-01-2019 01:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and own a 70's muscle car right now. However, that car is strictly a toy and my goal is to have a car that I can just enjoy summer roadtrips with. The point of my question was whether buying a used X100 and then dumping money into it is worthwhile vs. just buying something newer X150 as the price difference is about $5-10k depending on miles, condition, etc.(as I noted on these forums that everyone believes Jags deteriorate with age not mileage per say). I do feel that the X150 has a modern sports car look/drive and lacks the "classic jag feel" .

I suppose if I am able to pick up an x100 for say $10-12k I dont mind spending $$ on tensioner repairs and roof repairs.

mhminnich 05-01-2019 01:52 PM

I have an 02 XKR and my son has an 08 XKR with a 4.2. Do you want to guess which one spends more time in the garage? Well, it isn't the 08.

If I was looking strictly at the daily driver low maintenance requirement, it would hands down be the 150 variant. That thing has been literally bulletproof

sjay 05-01-2019 02:02 PM

The other interesting thing is, here in Toronto (Canada) People are asking ridiculous amounts of money for X100 XK8 cars with HIGH miles. Most I have contacted state that they have not had any work major done as the cars been
"perfect"

For example:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...teLocale=en_CA

https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/jaguar...02W2&sprx=1000

rothwell 05-01-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by sjay (Post 2063783)
The other interesting thing is, here in Toronto (Canada) People are asking ridiculous amounts of money for X100 XK8 cars with HIGH miles. Most I have contacted state that they have not had any work major done as the cars been
"perfect"

For example:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...teLocale=en_CA

Those are way overpriced.

Even at half the price shown, just from what I see in the pics I would bet those cars are in need of substantial additional investment to make them what you seem to want.

Are you willing to purchase a US based car? Lots better choices down south.

Regarding the choice between the two models, if you don't want the X100 "because its an X100" then you are probably better off with the X150.

DavidYau 05-02-2019 06:59 AM

+1 to Rothwell - the X100 is a enthusiast's car

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2063809)
Those are way overpriced......

.......Regarding the choice between the two models, if you don't want the X100 "because its an X100" then you are probably better off with the X150.

+1 to Rothwell above - if you don't love the look and feel of the X100, you won't enjoy the car. It'll need TLC to get the best out of her as she ages. Fair to say that with the right work done, the X100 is a reliable daily driver.

However as an initial purchase, the more reliable car is the more modern X150, which isn't a surprise. You just pay more for an X150. Different car, different drive, more performance orientated. Although, anecdotally, the 5.0L seemed to have had "teething" trouble .

scubaguy10 05-02-2019 07:30 AM

I would echo everything that has been said above. My 2001 XKR is my latest Jag (my sixth) but first one in a few years. I am attracted to the X100 because of its classic styling, better than the X150 IMHO. Additionally, in the states, they are incredible buys. I bought mine, in excellent shape with 100,000 miles, for $7500. That's about 7.5% of what it cost new. But it takes a leap of faith. The previous owner was a professional Bentley/ Rolls mechanic, and assured me that he had done the timing chains, water pump, top latch hoses, thermostat and housing, front wheel bearings and more. He clearly know what these cars need and volunteered that it has all been done, but he had no records. If I can believe him, the car should be reasonably trouble free, if he lied, I'm screwed. Under the circumstances, I chose to believe him and so far, it's been a good car. I think that these cars, especially the 4.0 XKRs, are poised to appreciate a lot over the next 10 years. Look at what is happening to the XJS, and the X100s are much prettier and faster cars.

zray 05-02-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by sjay (Post 2063337)
"........Although I love the styling and find most are well cared for, I would hate to have a summer car that is constantly needing repairs.
Just curious on your thoughts...

generalizations about X100 vs. X150 can go on and on, ad infinitum . But you are purchasing a specific car. A car that began to differentiate itself from it's assembly-line siblings from the moment it was first serviced, or not serviced. An X100 series car that has had the well known bug-a-boo's attended to, will not give you the same headaches as the un-serviced car.

Example: my '02 XKR . Previous owners had new shocks and mounts @ 60,000 miles. New cam chains and tensioners, and new water pump at 115,000 miles. At the 116,000 mile mark, and 16 months ago I purchased the car. Since then I've put 23,000 miles on the car, not one day sidelined due to mechanical issues.

A big X100 "IF" will be if you can find one that has complete service records. By the OP's opening post, it doesn't sound like he's willing to buy a non-serviced & discounted X100 and take care of the well known issues himself.

So that's leaves the discussion to consider a fully serviced & maintained X-100 vs. a mechanically superior X150. At that point it becomes a debate of form vs. function. Many owners here concede the X100 series has the more esthetically pleasing design. And also are in agreement that the X150 gets the superior function nod.

which begs the question to be put to the OP; what's more important to YOU, a well cared for X100 that has the more pleasing design, or the X150 with it's superior engineering ? ?

Z

DavidYau 05-02-2019 09:14 AM

Zray,

Totally agree. Similar arguments can be made for the following.

1. German Functionality versus Italian Flair
2. American Muscle versus European handling
3. Sedans versus Pick Ups
4. Systematic Compliance versus Artistic Freedom
5. Check lists versus Intuitive Gut Feel
6. Pets - Cats versus Dogs
7. Blondes versus Brunettes

Isn't that all along the same lines? Personal preference! Go test them out and see what you like. I prefer Blondes!

sjay 05-02-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by zray (Post 2064236)
generalizations about X100 vs. X150 can go on and on, ad infinitum . But you are purchasing a specific car. A car that began to differentiate itself from it's assembly-line siblings from the moment it was first serviced, or not serviced. An X100 series car that has had the well known bug-a-boo's attended to, will not give you the same headaches as the un-serviced car.

Example: my '02 XKR . Previous owners had new shocks and mounts @ 60,000 miles. New cam chains and tensioners, and new water pump at 115,000 miles. At the 116,000 mile mark, and 16 months ago I purchased the car. Since then I've put 23,000 miles on the car, not one day sidelined due to mechanical issues.

A big X100 "IF" will be if you can find one that has complete service records. By the OP's opening post, it doesn't sound like he's willing to buy a non-serviced & discounted X100 and take care of the well known issues himself.

So that's leaves the discussion to consider a fully serviced & maintained X-100 vs. a mechanically superior X150. At that point it becomes a debate of form vs. function. Many owners here concede the X100 series has the more esthetically pleasing design. And also are in agreement that the X150 gets the superior function nod.

which begs the question to be put to the OP; what's more important to YOU, a well cared for X100 that has the more pleasing design, or the X150 with it's superior engineering ? ?

Z

What I am realizing is that locally, people are asking way too much for an X100 (see the ads posted above) and when you factor in costs of must-do repairs, it almost makes sense to purchase the X150 from a standpoint of price (which are found more commonly priced with book values), mileage, options, costs of potential repairs, etc. . While I think the X100 has a classic design and may be considered a classic one day, the high mileage cars XK (non R variants) that are priced for $15,000.00 are ridiculous. I will continue to search for a reasonably priced X100 with a solid service history.