Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Creamed, Probably Needs Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default XK8 Creamed, Probably Needs Replaced

Hi,
On the day prior to a scheduled road trip, I was hit from behind and punted into the car ahead. I'm not afraid of repairs, but the hit targeted the left rear quarter, and buckled the trunk pan and frame rail. Does anyone have experience with this type of frame repair?

My thinking, based on advice from the excellent repair shop which I've basically had on retainer, is to negotiate a decent settlement and find a suitable replacement. I'm also just a bit miffed, having gotten all the small bits of an 18 year old car "just right" after owning it for two years following a similar incident to my 2000 XK8. Time to start searching.

One replacement possibility is described as "Boston Racing Green"!

Best regards,

Jerry Lippmann
1998 XK8 BRG (likely in need of replacement)

Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Terrible to hear, my heart goes out to you.

Damage like that needs proper equipment that's out of the average persons budget and technical knowledge. You need a frame machine. Do not try and fix this in a backyard. Call around to local body shops and get quotes. I live in a jurisdiction where everybody has insurance. I hope you do as well. I'm not current on body shop rates. If you have to pay the full frieght yourself, start looking in the local auto boneyards for parts, body as well as mechanical. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Man that s**ks, you got bad luck with our Jag's being wrecked.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Since this is a steel constructed car, any good body shop with a frame machine can fix it. I would ask around for estimates. This way you can make an informed choice. How much will the insurance pay for a settlement? All of us who spend love and money on twenty year old cars of low monetary worth are just one collision away from heartbreak! Good luck.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Hi Rivguy,

Haven't gotten an offer yet. I'm sure it won't be enough for my liking. I am always pre-dis-positioned to repair rather than replace, but my body guy (who makes a living doing repairs) is pressing me to avoid repairing this one, estimating repair cost will be north of 8KUSD.

There do seem to be replacements in the 7K-11K USD range, it's just a matter of finding the right one. As long as it is not Boston Racing Green.

All the best,

Jerry Lippmann

Old 09-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Lippmann
Hi Rivguy,

Haven't gotten an offer yet. I'm sure it won't be enough for my liking. I am always pre-dis-positioned to repair rather than replace, but my body guy (who makes a living doing repairs) is pressing me to avoid repairing this one, estimating repair cost will be north of 8KUSD.

There do seem to be replacements in the 7K-11K USD range, it's just a matter of finding the right one. As long as it is not Boston Racing Green.

All the best,

Jerry Lippmann
Maybe consider buying it back to salvage the good bits. Sometimes the buyback prices are crazy low. If you have the space and are willing to put a little time in, it can be an option worth pursuing. I've parted motorcycles and cars before and I have been happy each time.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Ultimately, Jerry, you must decide how to decide . . . No, I'm not being silly, but will you be happy into the future resolving this on an actuarial / financial basis, in which case can you live with knowing it will be a repaired "nearly as good as it was" or will you be guided by your heart and shoot for a replacement that you know will be every bit as good as (or better than) your wrecked original. I know what my preference would be, but is of no help . . . only you can decide for you.

By way of interest . . . this was BRG, but you mentioned an identical earlier crash. What colour was that car? Also BRG or a similar dark colour? A couple of recent close shaves in our metallic Ultraviolet XK8 contrasts with nearly 40 years without a single mishap in our glistening white Series1 E-Type FHC. Sounds like your following drivers are just as blind or asleep as many we see here, so perhaps your next may be a suitably high vis colour . . . Canary Yellow? Presley Pink? Perhaps tastefully striped in alternate glaring yellow and black? Interested in your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 09-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Hi Ken,
I have always been of the conviction that any well-designed mechanical device can be made as good as it once was, so my inclination is always to repair and preserve. In this case, economically infeasible to do so.
Found a suitable replacement, in BRG, and elected to replace rather than repair. Insurance settlement (coming) assisted in that direction, as well as the opinion/estimate from my trusted body shop guys. According to Carfax, one owner, traded in on a new car, sold at auction to the small shop where it was found by my wife. Wonderful woman, extremely resourceful, and respects what she calls my "irrational emotional attachment" to Jaguars. She's right of course, and found 3 to check out, I bought the best one. The seller had no idea about these cars, and referred to it repeatedly as "Boston Racing Green!?"
This car has the expected amount of work to be done: verify tensioners, replace cracked leather, mirror failure, bass speakers, shock mounts, tires and brakes, and I'm sure I'll find more. Nothing hyper critical except tensioners.
Interesting point about color, but I don't know how to test the theory without buying a pink/yellow car, and that's just not going to happen. This is my 6th Jaguar in the last 40 years, all except 1 BRG (ref. irrational emotional attachment).
I'm more inclined to think it is related to the environment where I drive. The beginning of my daily commute is 35 miles through mountain hilly and turning roads, and a great adrenaline rush to start the day; and a the trip home is a perfect antidote to whatever work stresses have accumulated during the day. It is the last 10 miles of my travel in silicon valley CA, where there is vulnerability' due to high density of low-experience drivers. So when the guy hit me just after I saw him paying more attention to his phone than road traffic, it wasn't a surprise.
So I feel like a cavalry officer who has his horse shot out from under him. Find a new one you like and back into battle!

Happy Motoring, Be Safe!

Jerry Lippmann
99 XK8 BRG British not Boston

Old 09-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

That's a pretty good analogy, about the cavalry officer. No matter how fond we are and respectful of our steed, it really is just a means to an end. Good luck with the new car.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Ditto. Great post Jerry. My questions about colour aren't the stuff of a pending PHD thesis and I strongly suggest you have it nailed when you point to the latter part of your commute in the burbs but . . . somewhat prompted by an article I saw recently by the Insurance Actuarial Association of Australia.

Anyway, after complimenting you on having such a brilliant wife, I do wish you better joy with your new drive.

Best wishes,

Ken