Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   XK8 Customer Handover Video (1996) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/xk8-customer-handover-video-1996-a-52270/)

K.Westra 03-30-2011 01:45 PM

XK8 Customer Handover Video (1996)

I was bored at work (what else is new :)) and I stumbled across this. It's rather dry and probably doesn't tell of anything we didn't already know, but it is neat to see. It appears the early cars had two snaps per side rather than one on the tonneau. There are a couple of other things that seem to be different on the early cars as well.

Here is the video (in two parts):
YouTube - Jaguar XK8 Customer Handover Video 1996 Part 1
YouTube - Jaguar XK8 Customer Handover Video 1996 Part 2

H20boy 03-30-2011 02:42 PM

I watched them both. :) LOL, I didn't know about the double lock button push to prevent door opening from inside...a feature convertible owners could definitely use. Unfortunately, I tried that feature on mine, and its not programmed. Perhaps someone got locked in the car and could not get out, resulting in a reconsideration of the feature. Also, I tried to open my glovebox while I was locked inside the car, and it didn't set of the alarm! If the top is down, now I am going to definitely make sure my glove box is locked.

The video 1 also shows where the original boot cover design used velcro on the back of the rear headrest. I remember some members mentioning they have the velcro, but the boot cover doesn't have the matching piece.

turbo68 03-30-2011 05:50 PM

I just tried the double lock too and no go here either. Would like to have had that one also. Might see if dealer can get that added!

I ALWAYS lock my glove box as that is where i put my XM Radio Iphone dock! But would have been nice to know that it would set off the alarm.

Nice posting!!!

K.Westra 03-30-2011 06:25 PM

I tried the double lock today as well…and I'm not sure the neighbors were amused I set off the alarm, lol. The door did open though, so it's not programmed on mine either.

2002XK8Orlando 03-30-2011 07:40 PM

Well glad I am not the only one who tried it and it didn't work

The green leather interior was interesting...and I noticed the convertible top cover look like it velcros in the up position behind the rear seats.

And boy were those cars FILTHY to be in the videos

test point 03-30-2011 07:44 PM

. . . and that Jaguar wants you to fold the top boot with the inside out.

. . . and the the alien antenna came with the original car which verifies that first contact was before 1996.

WhiteXKR 03-30-2011 08:51 PM

Did you catch the bit about "in the interest of safety the rear quarter windows are not operable with the top down". What is the safety issue?

RCSign 03-30-2011 09:01 PM

Keith
Great video Thanks
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

2002XK8Orlando 03-30-2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 329202)
Did you catch the bit about "in the interest of safety the rear quarter windows are not operable with the top down". What is the safety issue?

Breaking them or damaging the top if they are left up when trying to raise the top.

WhiteXKR 03-30-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando (Post 329221)
Breaking them or damaging the top if they are left up when trying to raise the top.

True. but the control logic could easily have been designed in the first place to avoid that...so I am wondering if they meant something else.

SeismicGuy 03-31-2011 12:28 AM

Funny that the segment about opening and closing the convertible top didn't include the part about the green fluid spraying over you:icon_doh:

Doug

2002XK8Orlando 03-31-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 329222)
True. but the control logic could easily have been designed in the first place to avoid that...so I am wondering if they meant something else.

But they didn't so that is why they mentioned it most likely

bassmania 03-31-2011 01:17 PM

I also tried to set my alarm with the double click and nothing. Wonder if this was only an option with the first year? WXKR i also wondered what was the security issue with the back windows other that the obvious. Nice to see the video of our cars. It's like looking at home movies. Great post. :icon_couch:

xenophobe 03-31-2011 06:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that the double lock would get some sort of bad consumer report mark or possibly be illegal in the States. If there's anyone who has the programming routine for the alarm may be able to tell you how to enable this. It didn't work for me. My alarm also doesn't 'chirp' but it functions normally.

SPIJohn 03-31-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bassmania (Post 329498)
I also tried to set my alarm with the double click and nothing. Wonder if this was only an option with the first year? :icon_couch:

My '97 XK8 was built in March '97, and the double click didn't work on it, either. Therefore, I'm guessing this feature was only available for the UK market. I also can see the merrit in having this feature for ragtops. Great videos, nevertheless. Thanks Westra!

silverstone 03-31-2011 11:57 PM

Very cool videos, thanks Keith!!!

XKRacer 04-01-2011 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by SPIJohn (Post 329625)
My '97 XK8 was built in March '97, and the double click didn't work on it, either. Therefore, I'm guessing this feature was only available for the UK market. I also can see the merrit in having this feature for ragtops. Great videos, nevertheless. Thanks Westra!

Don't know if it was left off for the American market but I use the double lock feature all the time ;)