XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 exhaust without center muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and I must say that I have learned a lot from this topic, most especially with center muffler of the car. Gave me new idea on that one! Hope you guys continue to post like this in the near future on other parts of the car.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK - I did it! And I couldn't be more pleased! I'll try and upload two videos I made today, but all I can say is that this is the sound I thought these cars should have made originally! DaleD

(Well, I see upload isn't possible, so I'll email them to Matt privately and see if he can help - he knows photograhy as well as Jaguar! D)

Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Gave you some direction via email Dale. Good luck getting them uploaded.

If you get them up there successfully, copy the IMG of the video (be sure you only get the http://...jpg of that link), insert it into the post, then highlight. insert the link for he video itself.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Let's see if this works - and Yes, the bumper is that clean! DaleD

http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/a...2%20Jag%20XKR/

2nd one -> http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=CIMG1421.mp4

Last edited by H20boy; 07-06-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

Vids work, and it sounds great Dale!

I added the 2nd video too...if that's ok with you, someone wanted to hear what it sounded like from within the cabin. Can you add one with the top up also?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had mine "circumcised" this morning. $160 at the local muffler shop and it took just over an hour.

I was very apprehensive, but was surprised at how subtle the difference is. Can't comment on power increase as I just took the slack out of the throttle cable and that gave me back a pretty good boost; not scientific, but I eyeballed it and seems to work okay.

Based on what I have read here, I had them install an H-pipe - more bass in the exhaust, but potentially less power. It can really be heard around 2.5 - 3.0k rpm and is a mellow sound - not the typical Mustang "crackling" noise, but above that it it really can't be heard much above the typical engine revving. Definitely can say that it isn't the least bit obnoxious and the noise level is negligible on the highway.

Overall, very happy....but I am tempted to try for a while and may have them remove the mufflers before the axle. Someone had posted on another exhaust thread about having the whole system replaced with only a Magnaflow muffler after the axle...tempting. Still looking for that Aston burble........

Cheers,
Hamish
2001 MY XK8

Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Vids work, and it sounds great Dale!

I added the 2nd video too...if that's ok with you, someone wanted to hear what it sounded like from within the cabin. Can you add one with the top up also?
And now there are 4 in the album: And labeled! I'm glad you asked for the closed sounds, or I wouldn't have heard how nice it is until Fall!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried a few more videos with the car today, hopefully, this may help some of you decide if its too loud, or not enough tone for you...
Matt, just one question. I have looked at / listened to the vid's and am comfused... are you now running with x-pipe or h-pipe. I'm thinking of doing the same with my XJR but I am just trying to decide on the H vs. X.

On another note, my brother-in-law just visited with his new Camaro SS/RS with Flowmasters installed, no crossover, and they are too much for the Jag and without the crossover they puff way too much for my taste. Also, they have a very uncomfortable resonance at freeway cruise. None the less, the little 4.0L XJR ran pretty well with that big 6.2L muscle car!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Anybody notice any fuel mileage improvements? I am now consistently getting 22-24 mpg and I am definitely not driving for economy, the sounds the car produce entice one to get on the gas as much as possible.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by DaleD
And now there are 4 in the album: And labeled! I'm glad you asked for the closed sounds, or I wouldn't have heard how nice it is until Fall!

Nice, can definitely tell that there is no drone at highway speeds!

Originally Posted by midlife
Matt, just one question. I have looked at / listened to the vid's and am comfused... are you now running with x-pipe or h-pipe. I'm thinking of doing the same with my XJR but I am just trying to decide on the H vs. X.

On another note, my brother-in-law just visited with his new Camaro SS/RS with Flowmasters installed, no crossover, and they are too much for the Jag and without the crossover they puff way too much for my taste. Also, they have a very uncomfortable resonance at freeway cruise. None the less, the little 4.0L XJR ran pretty well with that big 6.2L muscle car!
Sorry for the confusion, but I have the X-pipe on mine. Without any type of db meter, I estimate the X-pipe is 20% quieter than the H-pipe. Dave's video above sounds just like mine, only a tad up on the volume. You won't be disappointed either way, same low rumble/tone, and no puffing like your b-in-laws camaro (He'll be envious afterwards, I guarantee). The H-pipe (custom fabbed) is cheaper than buying the $90 part, then having it installed like I did. If I would do it over, I'd do the H.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by MarcB
Anybody notice any fuel mileage improvements? I am now consistently getting 22-24 mpg and I am definitely not driving for economy, the sounds the car produce entice one to get on the gas as much as possible.
Its hard not to pedal it more, I love hearing this car now! My MPG average is about up to my pre-install numbers, but i doubt I get there entirely if I keep goosing it from stop signs.

I woudn't do it hamish, I think you'll be suprised at what that silencer does when its on. I know its only $$, and you can put it back on...keep it if you do cut it off. Its nothing like a flowmaster, magnaflow or whatever else is out there. I remember reading where one member now WANTS to put that muffler back in after having it removed and followed by an aftermarket unit. Just keep it in mind.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
Let's see if this works - and Yes, the bumper is that clean! DaleD

2nd one -> http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=CIMG1421.mp4
Dale your XKR sounds louder than my XK8 did. Your ride is a Vert, I had the coupe, this could be the difference and I had the 4.0L and you have the 4.2L.

Your startup video, your pipes rapped as you revved it up, mine didn't do that. My 2000 XK8 system went from the CATs to the small resonator then to the muffler. Resonator and mufflers were stock Jaguar
Regardless, your ride sounds good. Not too loud and not loud at all at freeway speeds.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
Flowmasters are loud. I have a set on my Vette. The wife and I took a trip to Canyonville Wednesday, a 3 hour trip each way at 75 mph. Because of our jobs my wife and I each have a set of ear plugs made for us by a clinic.

On the way back home, we installed said ear plugs and things sounded a lot better!

For me, the Flowmasters sound great around town or on 50 mile trips. They sound great when you get on it and make Rustang drivers heads turn!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran member

Dale, if you get a chance, try another video of a startup, and a little rev...but done after you've driven the car for a while. I too noticed my initial video after the install was a bit raspy, but has since, smoothed out. I think post-driving sounds much different than the initial turnover.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
Flowmasters are loud. I have a set on my Vette. The wife and I took a trip to Canyonville Wednesday, a 3 hour trip each way at 75 mph. Because of our jobs my wife and I each have a set of ear plugs made for us by a clinic.

On the way back home, we installed said ear plugs and things sounded a lot better!

For me, the Flowmasters sound great around town or on 50 mile trips. They sound great when you get on it and make Rustang drivers heads turn!
I've got Flowmasters on my Jag and they sound wonderful. With the top up while cruising at a steady speed, I hardly notice that there is a different exhaust on the car. The car sounds great around town though, especially echoing off buildings. Here is my thread about my install: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37811

One of these days I'll get around to taking better video of the sound.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
One of these days I'll get around to taking better video of the sound.
Yah, we're still waiting Must be that eternal wind. lol

PS, noticed the new sig pic, looks nice.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

It's been busy lately. I took off a few weeks to visit my brother in Florida and then visit some of my former college buddies in Nebraska (where I took the sig pic). Now that I'm back I am playing a bit of catch up at work, especially since my manager decided to fire a few people. I should have some time Monday or Tuesday; probably on tuesday since they are predicting rain on monday.

On the subject of wind, I do work in the wind industry, so our seemingly eternal wind around here pays the bills

Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Dale, if you get a chance, try another video of a startup, and a little rev...but done after you've driven the car for a while. I too noticed my initial video after the install was a bit raspy, but has since, smoothed out. I think post-driving sounds much different than the initial turnover.
Will do - I thought I was just getting used to it! Also, since the throttle cable tension DIY, the whole thing seems to be smoother - and more powerful. DaleD

Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm truly sold on the H pipe, so I just want to be clear not to remove the rear silencers? If someone has removed the rear silencer and also removed the front muffler and installed an H or X pipe, is it to loud and does it effect proformace. Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed the center (2 in - 2 out) muffler on my '98 XJ VDP, wasn't noticeably louder, but now has a 'spitty' sound between 1200 - 2000 RPM, particularly noticable when driving alongside a wall or another car...passengers say 'Is there something wrong with your engine?'
I will probably have to put the muffler back in order to sell the car.

On my '99 Super V8 I removed the intermediate pair of resonators, the car is just slightly louder in the midrange, with the same muted tone quality...

The '01 XJR gets a Magnaflow x-pipe instead of the front muffler, which just arrived today, so going to be installed next week.

The supercharged engines seem to exhibit different exhahst pressures througout the RPM range than NA vehicles.

Quick Reply: XK8 exhaust without center muffler