Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   An XK8 Project (1999MY) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/xk8-project-1999my-116832/)

Rezzz 04-29-2014 09:23 AM

An XK8 Project (1999MY)

14 Attachment(s)
I've decided to create a thread whereby I can update the progress on the restoration of my 1999 XK8. To date I have acquired;

1) All replacement suspension components including struts, mounts, rotors, calipers, all universals, stainless break lines, all bearings.
2) Water pump, aluminum thermostat housing, new thermostat, etc.
3) Tensioners', etc, etc. The motor was replaced under warranty with a second gen but I will change the tensioners out for third gen anyway.
4) Removing Transmission in the next week and then starting on a complete overhaul of the body.

I will continue to add pictures as the work progresses

Open to suggestions and comments and look forward to same. Have already picked up a ton of ideas including lamp upgrade that have led to the purchase of a number of goodies :icon_dance-cpatch:

Thanks in advance.

GGG 04-29-2014 10:01 AM

It would be useful to show the Model Year in your thread title. If you want it changed, I can edit it for you.

Graham

Beep777 04-29-2014 10:37 AM

Did you buy it in this condition or has it been sitting around in your garage awhile? If purchased, what did you pay?

B

JSC 04-29-2014 10:59 AM

I would like to make a suggestion or two.

Would it be possible to give estimates for price and time for the work done, or even complexity? I would be very interested the amount and time needed for suspension and brakes, since I willl probably have to do the same at some point.

This has the potential for a sticky or reference for anyone interested in getting or fixing a XK8.

Please keep us up to date on your progress!!

Rezzz 04-29-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 964656)
It would be useful to show the Model Year in your thread title. If you want it changed, I can edit it for you.

Graham

Please do Graham thanks!!!

Rezzz 04-29-2014 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by JSC (Post 964686)
I would like to make a suggestion or two.

Would it be possible to give estimates for price and time for the work done, or even complexity? I would be very interested the amount and time needed for suspension and brakes, since I willl probably have to do the same at some point.

This has the potential for a sticky or reference for anyone interested in getting or fixing a XK8.

Please keep us up to date on your progress!!

My pleasure I am logging everything including parts cost and time and labour. My friend is a mechanic with over 25 years on foreign (meaning not from North America) cars and he will be doing the work with me. It is an after hours and weekend project. My other friend owns a body shop and that part of the work will be undertaken in a similar way.

Rezzz 05-02-2014 12:50 PM

Tell me this tensioner is new gen please?

2 Attachment(s)
Just took valve cover off. Is this a new metal tensioner? Fingers crossed please let me know your thought ?

RJ237 05-02-2014 03:00 PM

You win the prize, but what about the other side? There have been reports of only one being changed.

Rezzz 05-02-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237 (Post 966906)
You win the prize, but what about the other side? There have been reports of only one being changed.

The other side as well. Great news now I can spend a little on some other things eh!

steven300 05-04-2014 02:18 PM

very nice,love the red.i repainted my 99 coupe four years ago and toyed with the idea of red since the inside was black.but then decided the original outside color of black was the way to go.i was suprised to find out that jag did not offer bright red with black interior...steve.

Rezzz 05-04-2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by steven300 (Post 968200)
very nice,love the red.i repainted my 99 coupe four years ago and toyed with the idea of red since the inside was black.but then decided the original outside color of black was the way to go.i was suprised to find out that jag did not offer bright red with black interior...steve.

This is Phoenix Red with a black interior not sure what you mean did not offer?

jimmiejag 05-04-2014 09:27 PM

My Phoenix Red coupe

FWIW, my 1999 Phoenix red coupe has a Cashmere interior. Both the exterior and trim are the OEM colors, according to the door jamb sticker.
I've not seen many Phoenix red coupes and don't recall ever seeing one with black trim (interior). It's apparently even more rare.

Rezzz 05-05-2014 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by preuss2 (Post 968505)
FWIW, my 1999 Phoenix red coupe has a Cashmere interior. Both the exterior and trim are the OEM colors, according to the door jamb sticker.
I've not seen many Phoenix red coupes and don't recall ever seeing one with black trim (interior). It's apparently even more rare.

Well then that makes me even more content, I guess I have something a little rare. :D

Rezzz 05-09-2014 09:25 PM

Parts List to Date

Brake pads front and rear
Parking brake pads and rebuild kit
New parking brake cables
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
New plugs
New slotted and drilled brake rotors
Brake caliper repair kit – two
Brake hardware kit – front two
Rear suspension stabilizer back end link kit
Rear shocks
Rear lowering springs Mina
Rear differential universal
Half shaft universals – full set
Half shaft spacers
Front shocks
Eccentric shank bolts
Rear wheel bearings and retaining rings
Tapper bearings rear
Front wheel bearings and retaining rings
Braided stainless brake lines
Entire radiator hose set
New thermostat
New thermostat housing aluminum
Coolant reservoir hose
New water pump
New octopus hose
Front hub spring clips
Shock mounts front and rear
Intake gasket set
Crank case hose
Breather intake hose

Rezzz 05-21-2014 08:22 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Making steady progress. Trany is out and on its way to the transmission shop

ArtyH 05-22-2014 05:35 AM

Your progress looks great as does the car. Its the same MY as mine so I am very interested in your posts. At this time I have just got over a problem with my car going into restricted performance mode and showing gearbox fault, it was the rotary switch. I still have it at the back of my mind I will have to switch out the autobox as occasionally the original one bumps a bit, of course it could be that it is still in learning mode, with new oil and filter I certainly hope so.
Your parts bill must be quite high now, hope you dont have to add much more to get the car back on the road. Good luck with the project.

Arty

Rezzz 05-22-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ArtyH (Post 980494)
Your progress looks great as does the car. Its the same MY as mine so I am very interested in your posts. At this time I have just got over a problem with my car going into restricted performance mode and showing gearbox fault, it was the rotary switch. I still have it at the back of my mind I will have to switch out the autobox as occasionally the original one bumps a bit, of course it could be that it is still in learning mode, with new oil and filter I certainly hope so.
Your parts bill must be quite high now, hope you dont have to add much more to get the car back on the road. Good luck with the project.

Arty

Thanks Arty. To date my total cost in parts is $3918.78 US. The Transmission is going to be about $2200 US on its own. My budget for the project including new wheels tires, exhaust system, sound system, interior upgrade and refinish is $10,000.00 US

Rezzz 05-22-2014 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beep777 (Post 964679)
Did you buy it in this condition or has it been sitting around in your garage awhile? If purchased, what did you pay?

B

I inherited the car so essentially I received it at no cost. It had been sitting in storage for over 2 years

Jon89 05-22-2014 01:25 PM

Inherited an XK8, huh? I think we're distantly related. Can you check your inheritance documentation and see if there's anything for me, please?

Rezzz 05-27-2014 07:56 PM

Starting on the intake

10 Attachment(s)
Changing the intake gaskets, valley pipes, getting a little help from the Bud Man