XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Warnings ...

Old 03-26-2018, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Warnings ...

Hello everyone, I'm new here and hopefully the proud owner of a 1999 XK8 4 Litre Convertible. I took it to a main dealer to have the compression tested (to test the linings) - it passed fine - and then, on putting the key in the ignition to start it to take it away from the garage I got multiple warning messages - Low Brake Fluid, ASC Not Available, Gearbox Fault, Engine Failsafe Mode and not a thing when I turned the ignition key. I left the car with the garage as they had done a check over the vehicle for me as well as the test and had given it the all clear ... they had had no problems like this during the time that it had been with them ... any suggestions? Thank you. Robin.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Could be anything really.... When you left it, did they check for any codes?

Did the security light on the dash flash while turning the key?

Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll throw a curve ball here and say...........................when they were doing the compression testing, they didn't have the battery connected to an external supply. Hence, multiple cranking and not starting has drained the battery to a level that the electrics don't like.
And we all know what Jags are like with low battery volltage........

Old 03-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I think you nailed it stevep10 low battery.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

And now the dealer will say it needs a new battery.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello Robin . . . don't panic.

The advice re flat battery is absolutely spot on! The X100 (XK8 & XKR) is only somewhat less finicky than the S-Type in this regard . . . and there is far more that has been researched and written about this in that forum. Suggest you review the Battery 101 from link in my sig and at least invest in a small pocket sized digital multimeter. A smart charger or battery tender is next . . . while a no frills OBDII scan reader will round out the best small investment you will make for your Jaguar.

Knowing about this phenomena (and many owners, even many car yards, don't) is a well known discount lever when the dash lights up. Nor is it unique to Jaguar or this model. In time, you will discern a pattern . . . on both my later XK8 and S-Type the sequence is EPB, ABS, DSC, CRUISE, A/T . . . although I am yet to see "CALL BANK MANAGER IMMEDIATELY".

If the dealer does the correct thing, a full-on battery charge and test will have you back on the road with no charge. If so, have confidence in their future servicing; anything other and you have gained a valuable lesson . . . where not to go for service in future!

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

+1 for the dodgy battery. I had some really weird things happen when I did not drive the car for a month and the battery got low.
You can read my saga here Franks XKR Story. - Page 349

Id recommend getting yourself a CTEK MSX 5.0 not only is it a good charger but it also re-conditions your battery. Yes I know, how can a battery charger recondition your battery? Apparently it sends pulses down the plates to clear off the sulfides that build up on them. Google or better still Youtube for CTEK MSX 5.0 and you will see what I mean. I DO NOT work for the company, sponsored by them etc. Just a forum member who kept reading about this charger.

Good luck with your new toy. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you ...

Hello everyone.
Thanks very much for this.
I will call the garage and let them know to check the state of the battery and to give it a full charge and then see what the outcome is.
I will update this thread when I have the result.
Great to know that you are out there to help.
Best to you all.
Robin.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Originally Posted by RobinG
Hello everyone, I'm new here and hopefully the proud owner of a 1999 XK8 4 Litre Convertible. .....
Welcome to the forum Robin,

Follow the battery advice and your troubles should disappear.

Did you have reason to suspect low compression? Any nikasil lined engine still running well after almost twenty years is extremely unlikely to develop blow-by now as the sulphur content in fuel, which was the cause of rapid wear, was removed long ago.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham