Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Which xkr (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/xkr-217669/)

Sacho 05-12-2019 10:33 AM

Which xkr

Looking at 2002 xkr-100 or 2006 xkr. An suggestions on which one to dial in to. Is it worth going for the 100 because of the rarity. Thanks forum.

Barry_Tucker 05-12-2019 10:58 AM

Neither is very "rare" nor valuable :) You have to decide which you like better. The X150 is more modern and with the 5L is much faster. The X100 is more old school elegant and IMO much better looking but it's purely a matter of personal choice. Neither IMO is a terribly good financial investment

Sacho 05-12-2019 11:20 AM

I meant the xkr-100 only 500 made.

mhminnich 05-12-2019 01:27 PM

I guess it depends on whether you want to regulary drive and enjoy it, or polish it and stare at it.

AJ16er 05-12-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sacho (Post 2069427)
Looking at 2002 xkr-100 or 2006 xkr. An suggestions on which one to dial in to. Is it worth going for the 100 because of the rarity. Thanks forum.

Absolutely get a 100 if you can find one. All depends how much money you want to spend. I can't remember the last time I saw a naturally aspirated X100 on the road, much less an XKR. With every example that gets scrapped they are that much rarer. Another thing to keep in mind is that they simply don't make cars like this anymore. Aston Martin does if you have deep enough pockets.

GGG 05-13-2019 04:05 AM

The reality is the "special edition" Jaguar XK8/XKR's rarely attract a premium. They were mainly marketing hype rather than being different from the standard specification. With the X100 it was a badge and a body colour.

Buy the one you like the most - both are going to lose money. :icon_lol:

Graham

AJ16er 05-13-2019 07:01 AM

The 100 edition XJ and XK were made to commerate the 100th birthday of Sir William Lyons.

zray 05-13-2019 10:19 PM

buy the car that satisfies your needs the best, You won't get much useful information form asking which car we here on the forum like better. Our criteria may be totally opposite of yours.

First of all, drive both cars before making any decision. Only then will you have some data that really matters. Ask yourself, how much power do I need / want for my particular type of driving ? Will you be happy with less power and arguablybetter styling ? Or do you want the more advanced car, looks be damned ?

you live with the decision, not us, so be true to your own voice, not anyone else's.

Z

frankc 05-14-2019 03:41 AM

Your making the right choice if your picking a X100. Though X150 owners may obviously disagree.

Currently the X100's are going up in value. I got mine about 5 years ago I cannot find one of my year and spec, 2003 XKR, for nothing less than 4 times the price I paid for it originally. Though I have spent a great deal of money and time getting it to the standard I eventually want. Have a read, if you have a few days to spare. Click Me To Read .

Its all a question of personal taste too. Usually the ones for sale at a cheaper price have one or more of the following :- Black seats, not very good Alloys, Sat Nav instead of 3 dials..(been told by many the Sat Nav is not much good and people are taking them out and replacing them with the 3 dials)

The more desirable, though not by everyone, are the ones with BBS alloys, 3 dials, XKR's. I personally recommend getting an XKR rather than an XK8. I looked for an XK8 initially as I was not bothered about 'speed' but take my word for it if you don't get the the XKR version you will wish you had. Go for a 2003+ model by this time they have sorted most of the earlier problems out.

One last bit of advice if you can take a current owner of a XK8/R with you to look at the car. They will look at the car with more judgemental eyes rather than 'I want one!' eyes.

Good luck with whatever car you choose to buy. I am sure you will love your new Jag.

https://i.postimg.cc/FFWRmVX8/20170723-150707.jpg

AJ16er 05-15-2019 08:19 PM

I completely agree on the three dials and BBS rims. In-car navigation systems are going the way of car phones considering everyone has cell phone navigation nowadays. The three dials are more practical and elegant. Just another example of classic functionality proving superior and holding up to the test of time better than at-the-moment electronic fads. I still use paper maps sometimes.

zray 05-15-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by AJ16er (Post 2071244)
"......................... I still use paper maps sometimes.

I use paper maps most of the time, a lot of the roads I drive will never have cell phone service, and that's parts of getting away from it all.

But I love the old navigation display. probably alone in that respect. it's not up to date, but neither neither is the rest of the dash layout, And the nav display often shows me going down a non-existent highway, but it's a time capsule of what could done in 2002, and I appreciate it just for the kitsch novelty. And the voice is so stern when you miss a turn. Almost "black leather with a whip" stern. Ouch, that hurts, don't hit me again lady.

Z

bcprice36 05-15-2019 11:30 PM

The 2002 XKR -100 Edition

Saho, Since I don't know which Marlboro or where your Marlboro is this may not apply to you! But if you live in the USA it is something to consider!!

The story on the 2002 XKR-100 Coupe is: they are a specialty Car built to commemorate Sir William Lyons 100th Birthday...Only 30 2002 XKR Limited Edition Coupes were made and 270 Convertibles...300 in all were shipped to the USA....They had 20" Montreal Wheels, Brembo's with cross drilled Rotors, Connolly Recaro seats and they were painted Anthracite with Charcoal interior, plus special Handling Package on the Coupe only.....Now if you lived in the USA and the one you are looking at is real; the Coupe would be a deal....but it's a 2002 not a 2005......so you've got mileage, years, different Engines! If it fits all the XKR - 100 features and is in good shape I'd give it serious consideration!
As I said above, I don't know what Jaguar did with this program Car in the rest of the World....Maybe someone in England has that information.....and will share it with us?

Billy Clyde in Houston.

Johnken 05-16-2019 12:18 AM

Hey Sacho, dont know where Marlboro is, but dont forget to take features into account with your decision. For example I've never had heated seats before this car. Given my proclivity to drive top down practically year round I've fallen in love with heated seats, couldn't live without them now. Choosing an XKR with the premium sound system and one with the most comfortable seats can be a big deal in the long run. IMO these kind of things should weigh heavily in your decision. None of this would have been obvious to me prior to several years of ownership.

John

80sRule 05-16-2019 09:00 AM

Having owned my car for 9 years now, I am very happy I bought an R model, the base XK8 is a car I've driven a few times and it's not the same type of car; it's way too sedate.

Drive a few. The earlier XKRs can be a bargain if you wrench a little. Nikasil at this point is less and less of an issue. Replace the timing parts. Convertibles of any year will eventually have the hoses crap out. I have a 2000 xkr with the lesser brakes, meaning not Brembos, but they are cheap for service and ok if you are just GTing, but not sports car brakes. I have the 3 dials from the factory, which to my understanding was 2000 only on the XKRs as Nav was just in all of them after that; but you can retrofit the placebo dials fairly affordably if you'd like to on another car. Above all though, buy the example, not the model. A well maintained and uprated (meaning known factory faults fixed) early X100 XKR is better than a meh final edition X100 XKR.

As far as navigation, I generally print paper maps when I travel. I'm 31 and a software engineer, but I know tech craps out or I would not have a job. I've had factory navigation in several cars and the cheapest junk android phone you can get prepaid is nicer to use in my opinion.

bcprice36 05-16-2019 06:25 PM

Well excuse me! Mr. 80's Rule....I find that most of the new Super Roads out there are already on my Navigoro….they are just bigger and wider....only problem is in the City Suburbs where they are adding new Streets but all the Highways that became Super Freeways are still on mine are pretty much the same..... and I like the Clock pretty much! So, I'm pretty happy with it the way it is......That's fine, you don't have to agree.....

Billy Clyde in ouston

PSP 05-19-2019 11:22 AM

I love my 2004 XKR. They are so scarce that the kids in the gas station don't know what they are. One of them was so impressed with it's looks he pointed it out to another customer, "check out that beautiful car!". As far as the navigation, you can use the screen for a backup camera, which in my opinion is almost indispensable these days. The jag wrangler can fix you up on that. The best mod I've done yet. I've not driven an XK8, but the XKR really performs and I have owned Porsches, Mercedes and American muscle cars. The XKR is my favorite. I never thought I would own a Jaguar because of the bad mechanical reputation of the older ones, but so far, it has been a great car with great performance.