XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR convertible top not closing evenly

Old 04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR convertible top not closing evenly

The top on my 2002 XKR has begun to close unevenly. It had been fine since I bought it used a few months back, but I noticed a loud bang on one side the last few times I closed it. Today I had someone push the button while I watched the cover move. The drivers side comes up slower and snaggs somewhere in the mechanism and then releases with a bang. I checked the fluid and it is even with the lower line. It does close and latch fine. It opens good also. Anyone out there ever see this. I tried searching the posts, but have not seen this issue so far. Any suggestions? The car has 22k on it.

Ken

Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts
Default RE: XKR convertible top not closing evenly

Try this. Put the top up with both the drivers side and passenger side windows down. I had this happen once, the passenger side window wasn't going down part way when the top retracts, thus it was all the way up when trying to come back up...it got in the way. Try that and report back. If it is the window, just reprogram it and check the roof again to make sure it drops an inch or so before starting the retracting.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H2Oboy, what is happening is not a window sync issue from what I can tell, but more of a hydraulic "lag" issue. The driver's side part of the roof mechanism is not raising up at the same time as the passenger side. The roof ends up getting slightly distorted in the linkage and binds a bit. It eventually pops free and closes and the windows seal ok. I always reset them anyway. This just started recently. I don't want it to get worst, seize, and blow a line. It had been fine for about 40 cycles or so, but it is spring here in New Jersey and I am using the roof several times a day and seeing this issue everytime now. I don't know if this is a hydraulic fluid issue as I doubt it has ever been changed, or something else (even worse). I appreciate your prompt help however and am curious what the window reset is and does. I am new to the car and may need to do this anyway. Take care. Also, your old post on the brake/rotor redo is great. I am doing it myself in the next few weeks based on your results.

Ken

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Likely one of the top rams is probably leaking. With the top down, use a flash light and look down on each side in the body where the rear speakers are, see if you see any fluid there.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Jaggy,

Hope you got an owners manual with your new car (a pet peeve of mine, a pox upon those that keep souvenirs).

Run the window down and hold the button down for about 5 seconds, run up and hold for 5 seconds, run down and hold for 5 seconds. Both sides.

Done,until you need a new battery or just because the car wants attention.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

The top issue is not with his windows. I think he said it is the top is uneven going up.
In my experience it is a top side ram problem.