XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR EGR Tube..replaced now second time?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR EGR Tube..replaced now second time?!

My 02 XKR had the TSB done in April 04 at 17kmiles which was about replacing the original EGR Tube with an updated and improved design.
So now, 7 years later and 56k miles LTD, I get that little bark on a cold AM start that is completely gone after 2 miles of in town driving. Take to muffler shop to upgrade to a better growl and ask them to find the culprit. They conclude it's some emissions EGR situation and suggest having the independent or Jag dealer swap out the offending part. For the sake of time and a ride home, I drop at the Jag dealer.
The updated EGR tube has split and it's $805 to replace. I hate my local dealer and their attitude, but succumb to a time for money equation.
They told me that it's not uncommon for these to fail even after TSB is done and that I should be happy the update lasted 7 yrs! Advisor said that depending on the amount of moisture that gets into the system will dictate the life span. It's been a Cal car since day one and spent most of it's life in BH/Santa Monica and now in SF Bay Area. Not a newb to playing with cars, but am I being taken for a ride?

Are others having a similar re-occurrence?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwijames
The updated EGR tube has split and it's $805 to replace. I hate my local dealer and their attitude, but succumb to a time for money equation.
They told me that it's not uncommon for these to fail even after TSB is done and that I should be happy the update lasted 7 yrs! Advisor said that depending on the amount of moisture that gets into the system will dictate the life span. It's been a Cal car since day one and spent most of it's life in BH/Santa Monica and now in SF Bay Area. Not a newb to playing with cars, but am I being taken for a ride?

Are others having a similar re-occurrence?
I'm sorry you feel you dealer may be taking advantage. I don't have the part price handy, but I can say that if you drove in with that noise here, locating the fault and replacing the pipe would run between $200-$300 plus the part. I'm sure labor rates are higher out west than they are here. It really is sort of a pain to replace that pipe on an XKR.

I'm with you in that I think it was unprofessional to make a comment like that to an owner, even if they did believe it. Personally, I think failure of that pipe has more to do with heat cycles than moisture. As far as a repeat failure...... I can't think of more than one or two that had to have a second pipe installed, though obviously it can happen.

Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
Kiwijames (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I'm sorry you feel you dealer may be taking advantage. I don't have the part price handy, but I can say that if you drove in with that noise here, locating the fault and replacing the pipe would run between $200-$300 plus the part. I'm sure labor rates are higher out west than they are here. It really is sort of a pain to replace that pipe on an XKR.

I'm with you in that I think it was unprofessional to make a comment like that to an owner, even if they did believe it. Personally, I think failure of that pipe has more to do with heat cycles than moisture. As far as a repeat failure...... I can't think of more than one or two that had to have a second pipe installed, though obviously it can happen.

Hope that helps!
$170/hr makes it feel even that more loving. I can spend an hour and a bit at a therapist office for that rate, to cope with driving a noisy car at start-up. I think the part is about $200 or so too. The same dealer tried to charge me $1200 to replace the coolant plate on a Land Rover throttle body. The part was $19 with gasket and indy did it for $200.
I'll say that as odd as some of the off the cuff remarks that can be uttered by dealer personnel , none will top the one from the Audi dealer when I brought in my TT years back for a recall, they told me I overpaid for a GTI in an Audi skin!! LOL..and I still have Audis in the stable!

I've found these forums to be a great venue to gather information and at least arm yourself when placed in front of a service adviser whom is comped on what he can sell you. I love the Million $ sales placard he has on the wall for 2010!
Thanks for perspective. Cheers

Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The price seems maybe a bit high, but not too far off given a couple of hours of dealer priced labor or so. The part lists for about $238, plus a few more dollars for gaskets.

In order to do this job, the coolant must be partially drained, and the throttle body must be removed and replaced with a new gasket.

Here is the TSB to give you an idea:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...r-tube-tsb-pdf

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-09-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Dealer off-the-cuff comments

I'm with you in that I think it was unprofessional to make a comment like that to an owner, even if they did believe it.
The service writer at Jaguar dealer A.C Imports in Palatine Illinois told me to expect to pay $2,500 every year to keep the car on the road. "Not very reliable cars", he said, "Most of our customers just drive them to the country club in the summer". I think he really believed himself.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Those pipes can be a real PITA, FWIW. These cars are very expensive to own and maintain....You know what they say- "Ya wanna drive a sports car, ya gotta be a sport!" Hope you can find a better deal some place!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:46 AM

I beg to differ. I've owned and driven 5 of them since 1993. With reasonable care and regular maintenance, they are not any more expensive to own or operate than any other luxury car. Priced Mercedes or Lexus parts lately??

Cheers,

Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I beg to differ. I've owned and driven 5 of them since 1993. With reasonable care and regular maintenance, they are not any more expensive to own or operate than any other luxury car. Priced Mercedes or Lexus parts lately??

Cheers,
It's all relative. With the low prices of many of the used Jags, there are quite a few folks out there that bit off more than they could chew. The overall cost of ownership of a Jag is not insignificant....that said, it is comparable to other high line cars. The general public just needs to understand that they are not buying a Honda, or Toyota.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagtec1
It's all relative. With the low prices of many of the used Jags, there are quite a few folks out there that bit off more than they could chew. The overall cost of ownership of a Jag is not insignificant....that said, it is comparable to other high line cars. The general public just needs to understand that they are not buying a Honda, or Toyota.
It can even be argued that maintaining *any* current era computerised vehicle is expensive if the owner insists on staying original.

For example, factory hose with factory disconnects when generic hose with clamps would do quite nicely.

Those godforsaken "norma" connectors have a single purpose in life: quick assembly by robotics. Serviceability and replacement cost do not enter into the equation. Much of the component design of the vehicle can be understood once someone factors in the requirement of robotic assembly. Things that make you shake your head are all of a sudden understandable.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
It can even be argued that maintaining *any* current era computerised vehicle is expensive if the owner insists on staying original.

For example, factory hose with factory disconnects when generic hose with clamps would do quite nicely.

Those godforsaken "norma" connectors have a single purpose in life: quick assembly by robotics. Serviceability and replacement cost do not enter into the equation. Much of the component design of the vehicle can be understood once someone factors in the requirement of robotic assembly. Things that make you shake your head are all of a sudden understandable.
Very well put, plumsauce! That is an aspect way too many folks overlook. Truth be told, assembly is about all that is taken into account in the design of any modern automobile, no matter who builds [oops], assembles it.

Cheers,