Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   yet another convertible top question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/yet-another-convertible-top-question-217327/)

reko19 05-04-2019 10:59 AM

yet another convertible top question

Hi everyone. I have been using a resistor voltage reduction method (link to the post is below) for a long time

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ressure-53086/

Since the top operation gets longer with the resistor in place, every now and then i have two push up or button button twice. I am assuming that there is a timer in place and once it times out the pump shuts off regardless of the top position. But once i push the button second time, it picks it up exactly where left of and completes the cycle. I don't remember if this is how it was behaving from the beginning and just want to post it here to see what you guys think. It doesn't really bother me that much as long as I am not creating an issue. The fluid level is ok, fluid is greenish in color so I don't think I have an issue with gelling.

Thanks everyone.

MRomanik 05-05-2019 10:16 AM

I also have the voltage reduction kit installed and experience the same thing. I don't think it is a problem.

reko19 05-05-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MRomanik (Post 2065761)
I also have the voltage reduction kit installed and experience the same thing. I don't think it is a problem.

thank you for your reply, much appreciated

flatsix 05-05-2019 11:39 AM

Hi,

i've installed a similar resistor and no issues so far ( XK8 4.2 MY 2003). If it is of interest i would measure the time needed to finish an top up or top down process.

Fritz

Dennis07 05-05-2019 01:43 PM

Gents,

With any of the pressure-reducing mods for the convertible top, we give up some "margin of error" between what is required to operate the top and what the pump can produce. On a particular car, let's say one where the top could use some lubrication, the pressure-reduced pump might fail to operate the top.

With an internal or external relief valve we can tweak the valve to make a little more pressure. With a resistor, no such tweaking is available, and the next best thing would be to change out the resistor for one of slightly lower resistance (most of the resistors purchased for this mod have 10% tolerance so you could even try a different resistor having the same nominal resistance value).

Reko19 ... I would first try a little lube on the joints of the convertible top frame. If that does not do it you could change out the resistor, or leave things alone and operate the top by using sort of a press-release-press action on the rocker switch if the top seems about to stall, or ... just reach up and give the top a little tug to help it along if it's about to stall. I have my top set up with just about the minimum pressure that will operate it, and every now and then, especially in colder weather, I have to reach up and help it along just a bit.

reko19 05-06-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis07 (Post 2065852)
Gents,

With any of the pressure-reducing mods for the convertible top, we give up some "margin of error" between what is required to operate the top and what the pump can produce. On a particular car, let's say one where the top could use some lubrication, the pressure-reduced pump might fail to operate the top.

With an internal or external relief valve we can tweak the valve to make a little more pressure. With a resistor, no such tweaking is available, and the next best thing would be to change out the resistor for one of slightly lower resistance (most of the resistors purchased for this mod have 10% tolerance so you could even try a different resistor having the same nominal resistance value).

Reko19 ... I would first try a little lube on the joints of the convertible top frame. If that does not do it you could change out the resistor, or leave things alone and operate the top by using sort of a press-release-press action on the rocker switch if the top seems about to stall, or ... just reach up and give the top a little tug to help it along if it's about to stall. I have my top set up with just about the minimum pressure that will operate it, and every now and then, especially in colder weather, I have to reach up and help it along just a bit.

Understood, doesn't really bother me that much if I have to press the switch twice. I will look into lubricating the top as well.

thank you