Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   You Gotta Be Kidding (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/you-gotta-kidding-199089/)

skymark 03-28-2018 10:51 PM

You Gotta Be Kidding

One of my favorite tools to get to know my new used Jag is to come on the particular model forum and read the posts. It gives my an idea of the weaknesses and most common "on the road" failures. What gets me to the point of "You gotta be kidding" is when I read a thread 15 or 16 responses deep and it just ends... no solution.
It doesn't do the rest of us any good if you don't wrap it up with the solution that finally worked or what the shop found after you finally gave up and took it to a dealer or worse you just sell it as is (which is how I just got this XK8).
I have had two XJS's and three XJ6's and now The XK8. This is a great tool to establish a starting point sometimes that will shorten the normal trouble shooting process.
Comments?

Johnken 03-28-2018 11:24 PM

I think you are referring to the posts where someone asks for help, then folks take the time to research.and write detailed answers to help, or ask very specific questions to synch up and help; then the original poster never answers, never closes it out, doesn't say thanks or provide feedback.

If so, yes it bugs me sometimes too.

I really appreciate folks who come back and let us know how the job went. Even if the suggestion didn't work, we can learn from that too.

John

JagV8 03-29-2018 02:23 AM

It's just how some humans are. Regrettably.

skymark 03-29-2018 07:18 AM

John,
Exactly. In addition I particularly like a “if I had to do it all over” analysts. I really do appreciate this forum as backup resource to my own training and talent.

GGG 03-29-2018 07:39 AM

The "regulars" are usually good at posting resolutions to an issue or progress reports if it's not a straightforward fix. By "regulars" I don't just mean long standing members but include everyone who reads or contributes even when they don't have a problem regardless of length of membership or post count.

The "problem" members are those who only arrive here with a specific issue, don't waste their valuable time searching for the answer and have no interest in the vehicle or the forum until something else goes wrong.

As John says in post #3, that's just how some humans are.

Graham

Roger_B 03-29-2018 08:15 AM

I think you'll find that scenario much less common on this forum than others you may have frequented. Yes, the predominance of threads are started to solve problems and yes, the thread-starter is sometimes so desperately busy working on the problem that he grabs the suggestions and runs.

However, most here come to feel like family... lesser non-wealthy distant descendants of a baroness who also just happened to be a movie star, an olympic athlete and a Nobel laureate. Please stay and have another Warre's Otima. ;)

Truck Graphics 03-29-2018 11:02 AM

I just closed out a thread. Thanks for the gentle scolding.

rothwell 03-29-2018 01:11 PM

Seems like skymark should post again to let us know when he feels better. :rolleyes:

dbtk44 03-29-2018 01:59 PM

This issue is pretty rampant on tech and help forums in general...I work on PC computers and related hardware as a profession, and spend so much time researching issues and problems. It'll drive you mad perusing 200 different threads and forums, and STILL be no wiser, much less have a fix. Infuriating is when someone DOES get a fix, and simply says, " Fixed, tks", and no elaboration whatsoever.

I haven't been a member here for very long, but I've found a wealth of information and rather invaluable insight to my XK8, and in just a week saved myself a 2-3 hour drive to a Jag dealer and a thorough working over of my bank account by said dealer...

So, Thank you gentlemen!

kstevusa 03-29-2018 02:31 PM

You Forum Members ROCK! Some have shared info thru PM's. Saved a ton of money and time by researching troubles on this forum. Have tried to post any solutions or procedures that helped resolve these problems. May have advanced from novice to amateur. Thanks to all of you!

cat_as_trophy 03-29-2018 03:55 PM

John & Graham have hit it on the head . . . yet again!

I find that a click on the "Thanks" button (which obviously many other members are missing!) used to be an ongoing motivator. Now? Not so sure. In this modern dog eat dog world, I settle for simple pleasures . . . and sharing the passion and knowledge behind these wonderful Jaguars is pleasure enough. Making a host of great and enduring friendships is the icing on the cake!

Cheers,
:icon_beerchug:
Ken

platinummaker 03-30-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy (Post 1867570)
John & Graham have hit it on the head . . . yet again!

I find that a click on the "Thanks" button (which obviously many other members are missing!) used to be an ongoing motivator. Now? Not so sure. In this modern dog eat dog world, I settle for simple pleasures . . . and sharing the passion and knowledge behind these wonderful Jaguars is pleasure enough. Making a host of great and enduring friendships is the icing on the cake!

Cheers,
:icon_beerchug:
Ken

No finer group, on or off the internet. My continued thanks to all!

frankc 03-30-2018 10:51 AM

Personally I think its down to manners and selfishness. I took the time and trouble to find a solution for someones problem. Posted it. Did not even get a thanks or how it turned out. I had to PM the guy to see if the solution worked. Just got a curt "it worked" and he said nothing else.

However that is not the norm. You usually find the people who you help out are polite enough to share the answer and sometimes even say thank you. :icon_beerchug:

Before anyone has a go at me I always present the problems or work I have done and the solution to that problem. We have all been there and wondered how to fix something, or even what was causing those weird symptoms.

This is the work I have been doing and solutions to often asked questions. Just requires a little digging to find what you need! Franks XKR Story.

giandanielxk8 03-30-2018 11:32 AM

I agree that it is good forum etiquette to return and give a report on how it all worked out. I try to do that most of the time, but I admit I may have slipped once or twice. I can't speak for others, but in my case, if it ever happens, it is because I've got other things on my mind. (At the moment a Pathology test, an Infection Control test, and an Oral Histology quiz, all on Monday).

GGG 03-30-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8 (Post 1868080)
..... I've got other things on my mind. (At the moment a Pathology test, an Infection Control test, and an Oral Histology quiz, all on Monday).

I read Pathology test, then Infection Control test and thought you were dangerously ill ........ then I got to Oral Histology quiz and remembered you're studying Dental Medicine!

Graham

motorcarman 03-30-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1868139)
remembered you're studying Dental Medicine!

Graham

Then you can help everyone with their 'bluetooth' questions???????

bob

cat_as_trophy 03-30-2018 04:02 PM

Ya Gotta Be Kiddin . . .

:icon_lolsign:

cjd777 03-30-2018 05:28 PM

Just made my day Bob. THANKS!!!!

Wayne

giandanielxk8 03-30-2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1868139)
I read Pathology test, then Infection Control test and thought you were dangerously ill ........ then I got to Oral Histology quiz and remembered you're studying Dental Medicine!

Graham

Hahaha, oh god that must have been a scary image for a second or two.

giandanielxk8 03-30-2018 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1868151)
Then you can help everyone with their 'bluetooth' questions???????

bob

Hahahahaha, I can't stop laughing with this one.

:icon_lol: