Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XKSS (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xkss-62/)
-   -   Steve McQueen's "Green Rat" (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xkss-62/steve-mcqueens-green-rat-50976/)

retromotors 03-06-2011 06:39 PM

Steve McQueen's "Green Rat"

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 173701

There's a pretty good writeup on Steve McQueen's 1957 Jaguar XK-SS at
http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/
(be sure and click the "read more" link).

If you haven't yet experienced The Selvedge Yard, you might want to look through the archives. Lots of interesting articles and photos on a wide and esoteric range of subjects. It's one of my favorite sites.

Hope you enjoy.
Retro

Norri 03-07-2011 06:02 PM

Don't you just hate how he looks just as cool as the car?

I've never seen that site before now I'm going to have to waste countless hours trawling through it.:icon_doh:

SCMike 03-07-2011 07:34 PM

Aaarrrgghhhhh - I get not enough sunlight as it is. Now going to be stuck in TSY. Thanks a lot.

retromotors 03-07-2011 11:06 PM

Oh well, no biggie ....
I've always thought that having a life was highly overrated anyway!:icon_wink:

jockellis 09-15-2011 11:00 PM

I saw the car in Atlanta at the High Museum and its car extravaganza last year. Not as cool as a D. I'm sure I would have had to pay the devil by now if, in 1967, I could have talked him into buying my soul so I could turn around and purchase Ed Rahal's D for a paltry $12,000. My father didn't think it a good investment; he made me sell my 1960 Porsche Roadster when they were lucky to bring the $600 I got. And now they go for $150,000.

Andrey 02-10-2012 09:00 AM

Beauty. The XKSS I mean)

DreadUK 04-28-2012 12:29 PM

Need some help guys

This seems like the forum to come to.

I'm seeking the whereabouts of XKSS Chassis No. 757 which won the Macau GP in 1960 peddled by my Dad, Martin Redfern.

Now I'll make you all really jealous - I remember being taken out for a spin in the car, I could only have been 7 or 8 years old but I can still remember it nearly 50 years on.

The car is, I understand, in a private collection in the UK but I'm not sure by whom. Maybe if I can find out who owns it I can get to see it again.

Regards,

David.

MRomanik 06-04-2012 04:57 PM

Steve McQueens Green Rat is on display at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. It is one of 19 automobiles in the "Speed: The Art of the Performance Automobile" exhibit.

jimlombardi 06-28-2012 05:56 PM

Hi
McQueen photos (keep scrolling all the way down the website page to view all the cars he owned) per post# 1

STEVE McQUEEN | HOLLYWOOD’S ANTI-HERO & TRUE SON OF LIBERTY « The Selvedge Yard

Jim Lombardi

TomP 01-17-2013 01:16 AM

XKSS... most beautiful car ever conceived, in my opinion. In the McQueen photo, did you notice the distorted Corvette reflected in the shine off the rear wing? Very cool. What a photo.

carelm 01-21-2013 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MRomanik (Post 524219)
Steve McQueens Green Rat is on display at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. It is one of 19 automobiles in the "Speed: The Art of the Performance Automobile" exhibit.

I think the car is owned by the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA, but they do loan out the car to other museums. The Petersen Museum is one I'd like to see. Maybe on my next trip to SoCal.

guido36 11-05-2013 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think carelm is correct - I saw (drooled over) the Green Rat at the 2011 Greystone Concours d' in Beverly Hills where some hapless idiot missed one of the ramps as he drove it off the presentation stage, which resulted in several fellas having to pick up one corner and heft it back onto the ramps - not exactly a job security enhancing manoeuvre....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1383712815

paulyling 03-09-2015 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys the latest copy of Jaguar Magazine has the McQueen XKSS on the cover plus a feature article. Probably info you already got but I found it a good read :)

paulyling 03-17-2015 02:27 AM

Guys check this out:

Steve McQueen biopic in works | The Indian Express

Surely there will have to be some XKSS action in this!

plums 03-17-2015 03:09 AM

Anybody notice the paint in the first photo?

And they all told you clear coat was needed for that type of gloss.

Petersen Museum 08-12-2015 11:36 AM

Hey everyone. The car is owned by the Petersen estate and is located at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. In fact just this month a limited edition shirt holding a line drawing of Steve McQueen's Jaguar XKSS done by renowned auto artist Steve Stanford, which exclusive to the museum, can be bought at .

Norri 08-12-2015 12:04 PM

Welcome to the forum,
Please stop by the new members area and post an intro maybe give us some info about the museum.

The forum is supported by sponsors and advertisers therefore I've deleted your advertising link and your other posts.

roslynman 11-24-2017 04:58 PM

No McQueen XKSS on show today.
This car was supposed to be on display at Armstrong Prestige at 533 Princes Street, Dunedin, New Zealand this morning 25th November 2017.You will find the advt banner on most car sites online for this. Good promo but no XKSS McQueen car?? No staff around I could see. Some nice cars outside; an old XK 150 and a Bristol with a sunroof. A good display of Jaguar Cars by the Dunedin Jaguar Club inside the nicely designed new Jaguar showroom. Colour swatchs of all available paints you could chosse from. Other memorabilia and food / coffee stalls. Brochures too.Online chat session failed to provide the whereabouts of the McQueen XKSS however???? and cancelled out. It is all a mystery? Can anyone enlighten the disgruntled enthusiasts?

Zeena Sofia 05-28-2018 10:13 PM

Check all latest railway jobs for free everyday.

roslynman 05-29-2018 07:58 PM

How do railway jobs relate to this thread???