Adventures on the New England Highway: Future interstate meet

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Paul . . . you are the man planning it, you got to be there. Run with it.
I agree Paul. So firstly, let's fix dates. By jumping over Mothers Day to the following weekend, is this still good for Rick, Steve and others? If so, then suggest locking in weekend of 20-21 May 2017.

Next, with overnight accommodation mooted from Tenterfield in the north to Uralla in the south, you have captured some of the prettiest and tour friendly spots in the New England - other potential stopovers include Armidale and Glen Innes.
  • Perhaps a tour party from the north might see those along the route suggested by Clarke, taking Sat brunch at Tenterfield while a southern party do same at Armidale or Uralla;
  • All meet Sat afternoon at Glen Innes for refreshments, then dinner and o/night accom;
  • Sunday might see some heading home early, but otherwise, side trip to Inverell (only 60Km) passing Newstead Station on the way - site of Tom Roberts' famous paintings The Golden Fleece and Bailed up. Billy tea stop at the old shearing shed would be a highlight if possible. If sufficient interest, I will contact station owners. Then, on to The National Transport Museum at Inverell - home of many fine and rare vehicles. Lunch at Inverell, followed by drive back to Glen Innes;
  • Second night in Glen Innes - or further afield if already heading home.
With dates, tour highlights and accommodation plans known, suggest post a listing of starters, then mark each as "confirmed" once accommodation is secured.

Looks like I'll be a bunch of 3 car starters - both son+grandson (Tony+Aengus) and my daughter (Meg) have "offered" to come to Inverell and unleash all Ken's Kattery on an unsuspecting public!!! Looking forward to that, big time . . . as well as catching up with heaps of JF friends, new and old.

Speaking of the young at heart, are you serious Clarke, that you have made The Wizard of Oz, Grant Francis and wife Yollie, an offer he can't refuse . . . can it be true? WOW! . . . "Now, I'd really like to see THAT!!!" Do me a favour and ask him to bring ALL his spanners!

Cheers,

Ken

The following 4 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Daf11e (11-10-2016), o1xjr (11-11-2016), paulyling (11-10-2016), Rickxj6 (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

We're good for the new date but would have to head home on Sunday.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Being just the opportunistic Mexican blow in , I dont think we should be a consideration in any decisions. Our trip to Port Macquarie will be done and dusted by the proposed dates, so I will have to see if a boys own road trip might be organised (if I can afford to transfer that much money to the oil companies in one year)

paulyling (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos
Being just the opportunistic Mexican blow in . . .
Hey Steve, Pauly . . .
Is there an earlier date that fits both of you? Remember, my suggestions were based on juggling around Henry Parkes Tenterfield. Could be different at Glen Innes . . . haven't checked yet. Equally, there are plenty of alternate tour routes, stopovers, accommodation etc.

Just pushin' the ball along . . . it's the meeting up, the sharing of each others bootiful beasties and outrageous lies, that is the key. Sure, we may not fit everyone . . . but no-one has started here on a WALL TO KEEP OUT MEXICANS!!!

We loves everyone, but most of all, anyone with the tag "The older I get, the better I was".

Cheers for now,

Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Daf11e (11-12-2016), paulyling (11-12-2016), Rickxj6 (11-11-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:43 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Hey Steve, Pauly . . .
Is there an earlier date that fits both of you? Remember, my suggestions were based on juggling around Henry Parkes Tenterfield. Could be different at Glen Innes . . . haven't checked yet. Equally, there are plenty of alternate tour routes, stopovers, accommodation etc.

Just pushin' the ball along . . . it's the meeting up, the sharing of each others bootiful beasties and outrageous lies, that is the key. Sure, we may not fit everyone . . . but no-one has started here on a WALL TO KEEP OUT MEXICANS!!!

We loves everyone, but most of all, anyone with the tag "The older I get, the better I was".

Cheers for now,

Ken
Looks like things are moving along nicely Ken.

I am at work most of April but looking back in the calendar at this stage I am home in March on:

18th,19th
24th,26th

The QLD school holidays start on the 24th of March so I think we were hinting at avoiding those peak times.

Luckily it is still only November so we have time to mix and match dates and places.

Perhaps we could start by narrowing down the dates and go from there. What works best for most out of these dates:

18th/19th March

or

20th/21st May
27th/28th May

Old 11-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Back in the '70's the JDCQ Mk1&2 register did a weekend run to Tenterfield. There were about 12 Mk 2's in convoy. We traveled down via Warwick and returned via the coast. Stayed overnight at a wonderful Motel in Tenterfield with a warm fireplace in the lounge and a tantalizing variety of red wines to lubricate the vocal chords after dinner.
It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend back then and Lois and I would certaqinly like to do it again. Count us in whatever dates you decide. This will be a great opportunity to meet up with some NSW owners as well. Well done Paul.

paulyling (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 AM

Thats great Doug. It will be great to have you along! Looks like we have a fair bit of interest. Well no set date yet, or if we are interested in Tenterfield and Glen Innes, 1 day or two but I may as well just start with a list of those that might be interested:

1) Cat_At_Trophy (NSW)
2) o1xjr (QLD)
3) yarpos (VIC)
4) Dafelle (NSW)
5) paulyling (QLD)
6) Kove (QLD)
7) Rickxj6 (QLD)
8) ozxj (QLD)

Wow 8 interested already! This is great

Did I miss anybody?

Last edited by paulyling; 11-12-2016 at 09:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by paulyling:
cat_as_trophy (11-13-2016), ozxj (11-13-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Fantastic. I'm good for any of those dates . . . and while I have to check with my tribe when final dates are set, our pack rats should include -
  • Ken (cat_as_trophy) and bro-in-law Peter on the S-Type;
  • Daughter Meg and perhaps friend on the XK8;
  • Son Tony (perhaps missus, Chevy) and grandson Aengus on the XJ6.
Spoken with them . . . no rolling of eyes . . . in fact, outright enthusiasm. So, we should be 3 cars and half a dozen souls, keen to tour and meet.

Bring it on!

Ken

paulyling (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

I'm definitely in for any date (joys of retirement) and will keep the NSW & ACT thread up to date when a date is locked in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daf11e:
cat_as_trophy (11-13-2016), paulyling (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Right on!

Things are coming together nicely. These normally quiet places are going to have some British Luxury come to town!

Daf11e (11-12-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

So, here's an updated list of those that might be interested . . .
. . . and represents a start line of 10 Jaguars already -

1) cat_as_trophy (Ken & family) from Inverell, NSW
2) o1xjr (Clarke & Kirsty) from Brisbane, QLD
3) yarpos (Steve) from Alexandra, VIC
4) Daf11e (Jim) from Northwest Sydney, NSW
5) paulyling (Paul) from Dicky Beach, QLD
6) Kove (Neil) from Brisbane, QLD
7) Rickxj6 (Rick) from Northside Brisbane, QLD
8) ozxj (Doug) from Brisbane, QLD
9) . . .
10) . . .

C'mon JF members across northern NSW. The Queenslanders are coming south!

Paul; I can be a bit absent minded when it comes to names! Please update again with names of partners etc. (I need all the help I can get - even my kids have been known to introduce themselves to help me out!!!)

This is great! Did I miss anybody?

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 11-13-2016 at 12:35 AM.
paulyling (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:29 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Unavailable

I'm out for May / June 2017 Northern summertime

Last edited by Kove; 11-13-2016 at 02:38 AM.
paulyling (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 05:01 AM

So, how about we roll with

The Weekend of March 18th/19th?

Does that suit you guys at this stage?

1) cat_as_trophy (Ken & family) from Inverell, NSW
2) o1xjr (Clarke & Kirsty) from Brisbane, QLD
3) yarpos (Steve) from Alexandra, VIC
4) Daf11e (Jim) from Northwest Sydney, NSW
5) paulyling (Paul) from Dicky Beach, QLD
6) Kove (Neil) from Brisbane, QLD
7) Rickxj6 (Rick) from Northside Brisbane, QLD
8) ozxj (Doug) from Brisbane, QLD

and

Tenterfield Saturday night or Glen Innes?

Just trying to narrow down a few ideas, but nothing is concrete. We are all free to change and re-arrange so it will suit most.

ozxj (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

March 18/19 fine with me. Either o/n venue is fine also.
Henry Parkes Tenterfield still appears ideal venue, but need to check availability.
I will phone and advise later today.

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Daf11e (11-13-2016), o1xjr (11-13-2016), paulyling (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Just for info I'll be with my wife Nina.....looking forward to it!

paulyling (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

OK . . . as promised . . . for March 18/19 in 2017 . . .

At Tenterfield, Henry Parkes . . . all sold out! Peter Allen Motel, Jumbuck Motel and about half doz more . . . all list available rooms, but "high demand" is noted. Room rates for double range from $85 to $120 . . . leaving aside one at $200+, average is sub $100.

At Glen Innes, similar availability and prices, but less emphasis perhaps on "jump in quickly". I still find it difficult to believe the Glen has 19 Hotels listed, but I guess the def of "hotel" or "motel" is fairly loose.

While there are stand-outs in quality of services, most I have reviewed are of a very high standard (rating 80+/100 from Joe & Joanna Public) . . . and anyway, anybody so fussy about 5star vs 3+stars . . . has not found the stash of port!

Suggest we need to -
  • fix date and o/night stop as a starter;
  • I am happy to negotiate best possible JF "club rates";
  • keep in mind that extra discount is likely for a 2 or 3 night stay;
  • attendees can then commit and book accom as needed.
I also contacted Fred Nurk, owner/operator of the "Fly By Night Self Serve Paddock Rental" who offers a bulk discount of his "back 40" (sleep under the stars, absolutely NO WiFi, TV or any other crap) being his lambing paddock for a flat rate of $20pp. Regrettably, this is the same bar steward that specializes in selling unwitting purchasers gleaming Jaguars with taped over warning lights and fault messages. I know . . . I once had a couple! Perhaps give Fred's offer a miss?

So, jump in quick . . . and let's go!

Cheers,

(good grief Charlie Brown . . . who pinched our cheers beers?)
Ken

paulyling (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:34 AM

It certainly seems like there is more options and availablity in Glen Innes Ken and it is only really a stones throw further on down the road.

I am flexible but what are others thoughts?

Last edited by paulyling; 11-14-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
At Glen Innes, similar availability and prices, but less emphasis perhaps on "jump in quickly". I still find it difficult to believe the Glen has 19 Hotels listed, but I guess the def of "hotel" or "motel" is fairly loose.

Ken
Having spent many years visiting Glen Innes when the inlaws had a property at Glencoe I would say a lot of the motels are adequate at best and some fairly nice ones. May have changed since 2003.
New England Motor Lodge(with cosy restaurant and bar area) but recent reviews have said it is run down now, Glen Haven and Rest Point were amoung the better ones back then.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Clarke; even if not up to date, your info would be more reliable than mine. Neither Tenterfield nor Glen Innes are among my haunts . . . hence interest in visiting there. Must say, I doubt the Glen is up to same standards (both accom and sights) of Tenterfield and perhaps this is reflected in advance bookings. I suspect that Henry Parkes, Tenterfield sets both the high standard, has all facilities onsite - eg good restaurant - yet still a reasonable tariff. I can speak for excellent Thai food restaurant in main street of Glen, but location lacks ambience that an all-onsite venue could offer.

Paul; can you feed Jim & Clarke a suitable promo to members of event, choices of dates, and locations. It seems that a poll of members will best help fix the combination that suits most. Maybe widen even further the choice of dates.

Jim [Daf11e] and Clarke [o1xjr] . . . both of you either have, or can arrange, a bulk PM to all likely members on respective State member lists . . . perhaps Hunter north to GC and Brissy. Neither Paul nor I can do, so would you, please?

That leaves me to followup hotels/motels (and look after the grog) while you are all busy elsewhere!

Ken

paulyling (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

In my opinion Tenterfield would be the better option of the two, the Tenterfield Tavern also has a newish motel at the back. Maybe some more juggling of dates might work.

Urella is still another option but 1.5 hours south of Glen or 2.5 south of Tenterfield.

I'm happy to send out a group message but after tomorrow probably won't get a chance for a week or so. Sorry, haven't been much help on this one but I'm sure we will get there.

Been trying to navigate JF from phone when away from home but it takes so long to load then when it does I struggle to read the tiny type or it throws me out more often than not.

paulyling (11-15-2016)