Help needed with getting engine out of a MK2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Help needed with getting engine out of a MK2

Hi all,

For the last 2 years I've been working on my 1963 MK2, but due to lack of time I haven't made much progress (partly due to my extremely limited knowledge of cars in general!)

However, I'm now ready to get the engine out and I must be say I'm absolutely stuck... Before I start buying/renting a hoist etc, I need have a plan of attack. I've attached a picture of how it looks at the moment, it's not a pretty sight.

The 3.8 liter V6 of my Jag....

Can anyone offer my suggestions, help, directions? Anything would be much appreciated!

Vincent

Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

You really need an engine crane at a minimum to do the job

I also have a balance bar for my crane.
This allows you to tilt the engine as you lift it which makes it lots easier and safer

I assume you will also remove the trans and if you are leve it attached to the engine and remove both as one unit.

On a side note dont be temped to strap the engine or use a sling. make sure you use bolted lift points. A sling will slip as you tilt the engine bolted connections dont.
You can use the heads or accessory mounts on the front and the trans bolts on the rear.
If you need to just just and drill some steel plate to make a lift point

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (02-19-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Removing Mk2 engine

Originally Posted by 34by151
You really need an engine crane at a minimum to do the job.

I assume you will also remove the trans and if you are, leave it attached to the engine and remove both as one unit.

On a side note, don't be temped to . . . use a sling (as it) will slip as you tilt the engine.
I agree with much of this advice, but have had better and faster success with an alternative approach -
  1. critical is to get sufficient height, so use an overhead crane, not a roll-under-car type with lifting jib;
  2. sling is ok in my book, provided it is correct type/rating, and you hitch safely under each end and observe all of the following;
  3. biggest hassles on the original 2.4/3.4 then Mk2 and original S-Type is the b*** starter motor and many of the bell housing bolts; and the sharp angle of tilt that will either foul the garage floor or require raising the car which makes engine + g/box removal even more challenging;
  4. preferred method is to remove radiator and all ancillaries up top; then remove prop shaft and exhaust; remove manifolds cams and head; strap/retain timing chain gears so they don't snag; take weight on crane; jack under g/box; remove mounts;
  5. tilt rear (g/box) down, remove bell housing bolts and starter, separate and lower g/box and bell housing to ground;
  6. tilt and lift out engine;
  7. slide g/box forward into engine bay, then remove.
G/box? Smart to rebuild clutch, pilot bearing, release bearing, g/box bearings and seals while out. Engine? Replace all welsh plugs. Murphy's Law demands that the totally inaccessible one at rear of engine will fail within 1,000 miles of total engine rebuild! Ask me how I know.

When ready to refit engine + box, get a pilot shaft turned up to centre the clutch on flywheel. G/box and engine will slide together, making the job a snap - provided you remember to fit starter motor and torque up all bolts before lifting and leveling into final position.

Last piece of advice? Don't be disheartened by appearances in your engine bay. I'd say you have a great basis for a fine outcome. Why? Because your pic suggests that all the important bits are at least present. Many of these older models are now lacking parts - and many of those parts are getting both difficult to find and more expensive to buy.

Invest in a genuine workshop manual (or download here on JaguarForums), walk yourself through the job (it's really just a succession of many small tasks that the manual explains and shows) - then at the end, you will be able to enjoy what your developing knowledge and skills have made possible.

Best wishes and don't hesitate to keep us posted on your progress,

Ken

Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall owning a manual & it was well written & very easy to use.
Unsure but I may still have it.
Do not be tempted to shortcut anything. The time will be well repaid if your body shell is in sufficiently good condition under all the crap. Consider also the restoration effort required of the interior, gauges, woodwork, seats, head lining .....................
Good luck