Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Any Calgary members?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They rebuild British cars from the ground up. The only mecahnical they have sent out to my knowledge is transmissions, which is done by a veteran shop called A1 Transmissions on 41st Avenue NE Calgary. A1 even rebuild the ZF transmissions. British Auto has an experienced Jag mechanic. What I like about them is they take you into the shop and discuss your car while looking under the hood or wherever the problem is. Also, I have just dropped by and asked Jay to go for a drive and he hops in the car and we go for a drive so he can see/here what my concern is. In fact, after having the rear seal replaced on my car at the dealer, they replaced the trany and it now shifts rough. So two days ago I dropped in to British Auto and asked if Jay could go for a ride. He washes his hands, hops in and we go for a 30 minute ride. He acknowledges their is a problem and he takes me right over to A1. He knows the owner, discusses it with him and sets up an appointment for a diagnostic. Try that at the dealer.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thep
They rebuild British cars from the ground up. The only mecahnical they have sent out to my knowledge is transmissions, which is done by a veteran shop called A1 Transmissions on 41st Avenue NE Calgary. A1 even rebuild the ZF transmissions. British Auto has an experienced Jag mechanic. What I like about them is they take you into the shop and discuss your car while looking under the hood or wherever the problem is. Also, I have just dropped by and asked Jay to go for a drive and he hops in the car and we go for a drive so he can see/here what my concern is. In fact, after having the rear seal replaced on my car at the dealer, they replaced the trany and it now shifts rough. So two days ago I dropped in to British Auto and asked if Jay could go for a ride. He washes his hands, hops in and we go for a 30 minute ride. He acknowledges their is a problem and he takes me right over to A1. He knows the owner, discusses it with him and sets up an appointment for a diagnostic. Try that at the dealer.
Here in Edmonton I take my 1988 XJS to Bob Ames at Ames Auto. Bob has a very good reputation, he is an honest man, and like your guy in Calgary I can go to his shop and he will hop in and go for a ride to see my concerns as well. He is good to his mechanics and body men and he treats his customers with the same respect. He even goes so far as to keep my car locked up in the shop at night so no one can bother it while the shop is closed. If there is only room for one other car in his shop mine is the one that stays indoors while another is moved outside at the close of business. Now that's class.
Just because it is not a "jag" shop don't let that fool you. Good mechanics are hard to come by and honest ones even harder. And I would't take my car anywhere else in Edmonton.

Last edited by jetlag700; 06-26-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thep, thanks for that posting. I met Jay, he's the one who advised me on the polish.
Thanks I'll be using them for work from now on.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Default New member from Calgary

Hi
I just joined forum. Have 98 XJR. Also have it serviced by Jay and company at British Auto. Good people.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New member

Just bought a 04 S-Type, live in Cochrane, just had the oil pan gasket replaced by Can-Brit Autos here in town and was not overly impressed, work seems to have been done well but they charged me 6.25 hours labour for a job with Rick (Joycejag) reckons he did himself with the car on ramps and not on a lift in half the time !!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Welcome to this group of enthusiests. I have learned much by parusing these threads and through them, been acquainted with many knowledgable persons.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Disappointing, isn't it. Buy a nice car and have to put up with poor service. My S-Type had a rear seal leak at 64,000 km. The dealer removed and replaced the trany to do the repair and the trany hasn't worked right since. I went to the dealer as I thought they were the best choice for this repair job. NOT! They deny fault and responsibility. So now after the trany warms to running temp, I limit the shifting to not use 6th gear and that way avoid the hard shifting between 5th & 6th. Rediculous.

At least your car is repaired and you can get the full enjoyment of driving a very nice car. I have had great success with British Auto in North Calgary. It looks like they will be getting a call to look at my trany.

2003 S-Type V8 c/w sport pkg (ZF transmission)

Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM

I do go to Britsih Auto with my vibration issue. To give some history it had been to Jag Calgary 2x and they couldn't find the issue. I took it to British Auto and they fixed it (the prop shaft, common issue with X-Types). British Auto also found that the previous worker (in this case Jag) had improperly placed the CV boot after inspection, ruining it and requiring a replacement. All in all my car is now fixed and British Auto has my business. They provide better service in the back shop as well as in the office, and they're not as expensive either.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also live in Calgary and am pursuing a unique trade for a 1988 v12 vanden plas by offering my 1967 MGB GT. (I often refer to the GT as a poor man's jag since it has the wire wheels and brit low to the ground styling.) Hopefully it will work out and I'll be musing more pertinent Jag related topics with all of you soon. I'll try to paste a pic of the MGs we have ..

Attached Thumbnails Any Calgary members?-dscf5003.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roland Gotzke
I also live in Calgary and am pursuing a unique trade for a 1988 v12 vanden plas by offering my 1967 MGB GT. (I often refer to the GT as a poor man's jag since it has the wire wheels and brit low to the ground styling.) Hopefully it will work out and I'll be musing more pertinent Jag related topics with all of you soon. I'll try to paste a pic of the MGs we have ..
As a fellow MG enthusiast (& owner of a 74 BGT & an 95 RV8) I'd love to see them

Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM

Hello,

2002 X Type 2.0 Platinum with Texas Plates.

I just had mechanical work completed at British Auto.

New Drive Shaft, Rear Suspension and Water Pump.
They also, changed out the fluids and put the proper type fluids for up here.

My kitty purrs and growls the way she is supposed to.

I am very impressed with British Auto. I would recommend them every day.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've joined. 2001 brown? 2001 S-type. I've used British Auto as well, I stumbled (alot) across Raybern Motors in Calgary, any tried them? They also seem the same style of set up as BA

Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM

Welcome zigzewel. The name sounds familiar, but have never had dealings with them that I can recall. It seems to me I may be confusing the name with a MasterCraft boat dealership in BC though. Old Age! Memories going.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Default Raybern motors

Hi Zigzewel. I have a 98 XJR which I have had serviced several times at British Auto. The last time I had major work done, replacing the timing chain and guides as well as lower ball joints. After getting it home, noticed several clamps were not done up on hoses going to super charger and air cleaner was not closed properly. Also now has a rough idle sometimes, possibly due to a hose not put on properly or vacuum leak somewhere. I'm also suspicious they did work which did not need to be done. Wouldn't go back there. Am thinking of going to Sports Car Parts who also work on Jags. Havn't heard of your Raybern Motors. Let us know how it goes with them.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM

I can certainly recommend Sports Car Parts as they look after all the work on my MG's and I have been very happy with their service. I have also recommended others to go there & have had good feedback from them.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good intel, so, while looking for Sports Car Parts I also found XJ Auto Service? Again, is this someplace anyone knows about?

2nd questions, my s-type shakes like a 1930 John Deere starting up in cold weather. The colder it is, or the longer out in the cold, the worst it is to get smoothed out? Familiar?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM

Zigzewel

My S-type 4.2 fast idles smoothly when cold and I am in Calgary as well. This winter has been nasty, but my car is garaged and spends little time out in the cold. I try to avoid using it immediately after a snowfall, but have driven it in -35 type weather. It runs perfectly well in the cold and is more comfortable temperature wise than my Explorer. Well, much more comfortable over all I should say. I can't think what it could be other than the spark plugs may be a bit dodgy or a failing temperature sensor? Cleaning the intake and air filter box may help as well.

Never heard of XJ Auto Service, sorry.

Best of luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Hey all, just bought an 2005 S type 4.2. Looking forward to meeting others in Alberta. As a former club president (Alberta Genesis Owners Group) I would be more than willing to help/take the lead in organizing. There is great power in numbers and being recognized as a formal club. Any interest??
Daryl

Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Genesis1
Hey all, just bought an 2005 S type 4.2. Looking forward to meeting others in Alberta. As a former club president (Alberta Genesis Owners Group) I would be more than willing to help/take the lead in organizing. There is great power in numbers and being recognized as a formal club. Any interest??
Daryl
Hi, I have tried to get a club going in Edmonton, no luck, but I ran into a guy at a car wash who said he had a XJS who met another XJS owner who wanted to start a club here, we exchanged phone numbers, so we shall see. Personally I joined a club in British Columbia because of the lack of interest here in Edmonton. Wish you luck.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Genesis1
Daryl
I'd be interested but unfortunately am currently `between Jags' (returned my XF at lease-end). I am working on remedying that deficiency however.

Are you aware that the VSCC in Calgary has a pretty active Jaguar section and many of the cars aren't that old?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by davidcalgary
I'd be interested but unfortunately am currently `between Jags' (returned my XF at lease-end). I am working on remedying that deficiency however.

Are you aware that the VSCC in Calgary has a pretty active Jaguar section and many of the cars aren't that old?
I wasnt even aware of "VSCC". I assume its an auto club? Any contact infor??

When I was in the Genesis club, we started with 3 members and built it up by stoping other owners, leaving contact cards and email/PM local members from the forums.

Quick Reply: Any Calgary members?