E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Rear hatch seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear hatch seal

Hello chaps,

Another very cold day in the garage today with some good progress, but a little mystery with respect to installing the rear hatch neoprene seal BD23347.

See enclosed a picture with a cross-cut view of the seal. My questions:

- Does this seal sit with like a "U" or upside down in the metal channel surrounding the rear hatch?
- Assuming it's like a U, the follow up question is - is the long leg of the "U" on the inside or outside?
- If not like a U but upside down, same question.
- Is this a seal that is normally glued down? I can wedge it in when used upside down, but when used as a U it definitely needs something to hold it in place along the bottom.

As always - grateful for any help. If you have a picture that'd be perfect !

Thanks !!

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

When I see a question like this, my first thought is - go and look at another E-type Coupe !

However, from the section drawing it is clear it is glued into the channel in the bodyshell, (Jaguar used a lot of glued-in seal sections like the Mark 2 door seals and this looks similar. I would suggest the bottom face of your drawing is where it is glued, and the curing lip needs to be such that the lip faces outwards all round, so that when the rear lid is shut there is a space for water to drain down to the bottom of the aperture, where I suspect there may be a drain hole.

However, please be aware I am not totally up-to-speed on E-types, so the above may be totally wrong !! Best wait for confirmation of my advice or something totally different.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mitchell.
I wish there were many more E-types around where I live (East part of Czech Rep.) so I could indeed go and have a look, that would avoid many "stupid" questions I have. Truthfully, I have never seen one here! Many old Skoda's though if that interests you !
Anyway, seals got installed in the orientation you recommended. Waiting for the glue to dry (dries slow these days as very cold here already) and then we'll see if she's water proof.
Thanks for your advice.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Czechjag

Hope it all works for you.

You could also go and look at a Mark 2 or old-type S-type, or 420, as that section looks very familiar to me, because I rebuilt a Mark 2 in the 80s and put new door seals on. All the above models had glued-n door seals and also boot seals too.